Northern vs. Southern iced tea

Muhammed

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2010
North Coast, USA
After some recent travel down south I noticed a correlation.

The people in the south tend to be fatter than they are up here in Northern Ohio. And something else I noticed is that whenever you order a glass of iced tea or lemonade at restaurants south of the Ohio river they usually put a lot of sugar in it automatically.

If you want an iced tea or lemonade without sugar down south you have to specifically tell the waitress that you want it without sugar. Whereas up north here the waitress will always ask if you want sugar.

Do you guys think this might a reason why more people in the south seem to be fatter than up north?

The people in the south tend to be fatter than they are up here in Northern Ohio. And something else I noticed is that whenever you order a glass of iced tea or lemonade at restaurants south of the Ohio river they usually put a lot of sugar in it automatically.

If you want an iced tea or lemonade without sugar down south you have to specifically tell the waitress that you want it without sugar. Whereas up north here the waitress will always ask if you want sugar.

Do you guys think this might a reason why more people in the south seem to be fatter than up north?

We call it "unsweet", and I've never seen it not available.
Which is a good thing because that crap they call sweet tea would make a hummingbird drunk.

What I don't get about the south is why butter is hated. You ask for butter, you get margarine. It's bizarre.
That could be a fat factor.

Which is a good thing because that crap they call sweet tea would make a hummingbird drunk.

What I don't get about the south is why butter is hated. You ask for butter, you get margarine. It's bizarre.
I don't use margarine, it sucks for baking and cooking...

Last edited:

A lot of places up here do that too. I think it's a cost thing. Margarine is substantially cheaper than butter. And with margarine they don't have to worry about food spoilage because it isn't food.

If I'm in a restaurant and they have Sweet Tea and Unsweetened Tea, I ask them to do a half and half. I like it a little sweet, but that Sweet Tea is just way too sweet. I tell them to give that super sweet crap to my girlfriend because she ain't sweet enough.

Forum List

Back