North Carolina's tax free hoilday

bigrebnc1775

][][][% NC Sheepdog
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2010
Kannapolis, N.C.
Well this is the big weekend that everything needed for school will be sold tax free. The Carolina's have been doing this for 8 years and sales always jump up. Now North Carolina is complaining they will lose 15 million dollars in tax revenue. But what they fail to realize with no tax it also helps the economy. That right no taxes means the economy jumps. I wonder if the dipshits in DC are paying any attention?

When it comes to buying things most people are rational. Hence if they know that the tax free weekend is coming up they will curb their spending in the expectation of being able to buy stuff then. I know the retail store I worked at was very slow this past week, very busy yesterday (will be extremely busy today and tomorrow), and will likely be dead next week. Can you show me statistics on exactly how much more the economy benefits because of the tax free holiday?

Also, I bet the majority of people would be very upset if the state programs the sales tax is used to fund were to be done away with.

When it comes to buying things most people are rational. Hence if they know that the tax free weekend is coming up they will curb their spending in the expectation of being able to buy stuff then. I know the retail store I worked at was very slow this past week, very busy yesterday (will be extremely busy today and tomorrow), and will likely be dead next week. Can you show me statistics on exactly how much more the economy benefits because of the tax free holiday?

Also, I bet the majority of people would be very upset if the state programs the sales tax is used to fund were to be done away with.

And if people have a job they will have money so those programs would not be needed.

And if people have a job they will have money so those programs would not be needed.

Some of the programs I was talking about things like education, police, fire, etc which are in part funded by the money from sales taxes that the state distributes back to localities (atleast in VA anyways). I would like to see how the average person could afford their own personal police force. Some government is necessary, practical, more preferable than private business but its not free ergo requires funding.

Some of the programs I was talking about things like education, police, fire, etc which are in part funded by the money from sales taxes that the state distributes back to localities (atleast in VA anyways). I would like to see how the average person could afford their own personal police force. Some government is necessary, practical, more preferable than private business but its not free ergo requires funding.

Education? and that reflects a lot.
Police? are not legally bound to protect anyone
Fire department? Ever heard of Volunteer firemen?

Well this is the big weekend that everything needed for school will be sold tax free. The Carolina's have been doing this for 8 years and sales always jump up. Now North Carolina is complaining they will lose 15 million dollars in tax revenue. But what they fail to realize with no tax it also helps the economy. That right no taxes means the economy jumps. I wonder if the dipshits in DC are paying any attention?

Same here. You really waiting on those elitists in DC to get a clue?:confused:

How much stimulus money did North Carolina take? How much of it did they use to pay bills that would otherwise have had to have been paid for by NC tax revenues?

How much stimulus money did North Carolina take? How much of it did they use to pay bills that would otherwise have had to have been paid for by NC tax revenues?

As far as I know none was used to pay any bills on the other hand as far as I know I don't think the stimulus was being use by the governor as it was susposed to.
Hell when we had a Republican Governor North Carolina had a balanced budgit. As soon as a democrat takes over the following year North Carolina is broke. and has been since then, and that was 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Do you mean that if the sales tax was on school supplies people would not buy them?

School supplies as in computers electroics and such Cameras. They wouldn't buy as much.

It would be spread out over a longer period.
But a 6% cut in price does not make me buy a new camera or computer. Wait for sales and you can do much better than that. Or buy online.

Do you mean that if the sales tax was on school supplies people would not buy them?

School supplies as in computers electroics and such Cameras. They wouldn't buy as much.

It would be spread out over a longer period.
But a 6% cut in price does not make me buy a new camera or computer. Wait for sales and you can do much better than that. Or buy online.

Spread out but still they would not buy as much. Take it up with the state they are the ones whinning about it.

Louisiana does the same thing, malls are packed. Any dems who say reducing taxes doesn't increase total collections should do the math.
You have to have some level of tax though.

The sales tax in NC is about 6%, so on a $100 purchase you save 6 bucks. I'm not sure too many people make a buy or not to buy decision on 6%. Just shopping for sales is probably a better money saver.

Forum List

Back