North Carolina's tax free hoilday

Louisiana does the same thing, malls are packed. Any dems who say reducing taxes doesn't increase total collections should do the math.
You have to have some level of tax though.

A tax holiday is zero tax. You can't make up a zero tax rate on volume. :lol:

Surley your not so dumb you don't understand lowering taxes makes people spend more?

Louisiana does the same thing, malls are packed. Any dems who say reducing taxes doesn't increase total collections should do the math.

Surley your not so dumb you don't understand lowering taxes makes people spend more?

The majority of people pretty much spend all they have anyway.
Actually many spend more than they have which helped us get into our current mess.

How does lowering sales taxes give them more money? 6% more for one day in this case I suppose.

Last edited:

No disagreement Some taxes are good but what isn't good is what is done with the money after its collected.

The majority of people pretty much spend all they have anyway.
Actually many spend more than they have which helped us get into our current mess.

How does lowering sales taxes give them more money? 6% more for one day in this case I suppose.
As oif 2009 the sales tax rate for North Carolina is 7.75% plus you have in some cities a city tax and With people on a budget that is a lot of money.

No taxes and the deficit goes up.

Why are they spending money they don't have and why are you defending it?

They are paying for debts for money already spent.

Why are you defending not paying current debts?

Do you like it that the government has to BORROW still more money to pay it current debts or something?

Expecting our government to pay its CURRENT bills is NOT THE SAME thing as being supportive of them spending MORE money.

In this particular case, there's no way the state makes MORE money becuase it is collecting ZERO PERCENT on all sales.

That argument might make sense for REDUCED taxes (to stimulate sales), but for ZERO taxes?!

You can stimulate the begezeus out of sales and the State will still take in ZERO revenue.

How many teachers, police and firefighters y'all laying off?

Teachers have the Educational lottery but they still get laid off at least in Charlotte Meck. I woinder where those sate democrats use that money at?
Police who cares, because they are not legally obligated to protect anyone.?
Fire we have Volunteer Fire departments around here.

First of all, quit calling me Surley. Second of all, you said this:

Any dems who say reducing taxes doesn't increase total collections should do the math.

You said that in the context of a tax holiday, which reduces the tax to ZERO. I did the math. Reducing a tax to zero cannot possibly increase total collections because any number times ZERO is ZERO.

A sales tax holiday can do nothing other than reduce sales tax collections.

Is that even hard for anyone else here to understand?

Teachers have the Educational lottery but they still get laid off at least in Charlotte Meck. I woinder where those sate democrats use that money at?

You don't care whether or not we have police?

Do you care whether or not we take you seriously?

You don't care whether or not we have police?

Do you care whether or not we take you seriously?

No I don't care if there is police or not I can defend myself I do not need protection, and as I said the police are not legally obligated to protect anyone. At least thats what the supreme court said

"In its landmark decision of DeShaney v. Winnebago County
Department of Social Services," Stevens writes, "the US Supreme Court declared that the
Constitution does not impose a duty on the state and local governments to protect the citizens from criminal harm."

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone - The New York Times

When it comes to buying things most people are rational. Hence if they know that the tax free weekend is coming up they will curb their spending in the expectation of being able to buy stuff then. I know the retail store I worked at was very slow this past week, very busy yesterday (will be extremely busy today and tomorrow), and will likely be dead next week. Can you show me statistics on exactly how much more the economy benefits because of the tax free holiday?

Also, I bet the majority of people would be very upset if the state programs the sales tax is used to fund were to be done away with.

Vermont also has a tax-free weekend, and everyone needing big ticket items wait for it. Just wandering around WalMart hardly saves squat.

When it comes to buying things most people are rational. Hence if they know that the tax free weekend is coming up they will curb their spending in the expectation of being able to buy stuff then. I know the retail store I worked at was very slow this past week, very busy yesterday (will be extremely busy today and tomorrow), and will likely be dead next week. Can you show me statistics on exactly how much more the economy benefits because of the tax free holiday?

Also, I bet the majority of people would be very upset if the state programs the sales tax is used to fund were to be done away with.

This.
Tennessee also has a tax free weekend. I wonder what the point is. People simply put off buying things to take advantage of the tax free weekend. They would have bought them anyway. So demand simply gets shoved into 3 days instead of getting spread out over 2 weeks No behavior is changed. No one has any incentive to work harder, save or invest.

Some seem to think that removing sales tax for a day gives people more money to spend?

I'd be interested in knowing how many consumers pull out the ol' credit card that's gone unused for about a year. Bye bye no-tax benefit.

In all fairness, however, someone waiting for the tax-free weekend to buy a car will make out like a bandit because those are normally not high-interest loans. And I know the auto industry in Vermont sees a huge jump in sales during the tax-free weekend, which is also a good thing.

I don't think big ticket items like autos are included in most tax free weekends.

but in any case it is likely that the auto buyers would have bought a new car soon anyway. But that kind of big ticket item would get a boost if it was offered as tax free.

Last edited:
Regardless of the State, there should be no taxes on medications, clothing and food. Ever.

Why no tax on clothing? Ohh yeah I live in KY Clothing is a good thing.
However in Miami.....

How about a Plus sizes tax exemption?

Forum List

Back