North Carolina's tax free hoilday

Regardless of the State, there should be no taxes on medications, clothing and food. Ever.

agreed and water service
And beer?

where does it stop?

btw bottled water is the biggest ripoff ever. But it has become fashionable.

Yep bottle water is a rip off. I did a remodel of his busniess that packaged bottle water. They labled it as spring water. Thing is the water in those bottles came from the tap. Funny stuff.

I don't think big ticket items like autos are included in most tax free weekends.

but in any case it is likely that the auto buyers would have bought a new car soon anyway. But that kind of big ticket item would get a boost if it was offered as tax free.

Actually, VT only has one tax free day every year. It includes the sale of personal property items costing less than $2,000 and does not apply to food, beverages, or hotel rooms. So you're right that new cars wouldn't be applicable, but a good used car would be (from a dealer).

Well this is the big weekend that everything needed for school will be sold tax free. The Carolina's have been doing this for 8 years and sales always jump up. Now North Carolina is complaining they will lose 15 million dollars in tax revenue. But what they fail to realize with no tax it also helps the economy. That right no taxes means the economy jumps. I wonder if the dipshits in DC are paying any attention?

Same thing happened in Tennessee this last weekend. I didn't go but friends of mine said the malls were packed like Christmas. Obama and his admin know that lowering taxes helps the economy at least I hope they do... but this whole control thing is just to hard to let go of.

Well this is the big weekend that everything needed for school will be sold tax free. The Carolina's have been doing this for 8 years and sales always jump up. Now North Carolina is complaining they will lose 15 million dollars in tax revenue. But what they fail to realize with no tax it also helps the economy. That right no taxes means the economy jumps. I wonder if the dipshits in DC are paying any attention?

Same thing happened in Tennessee this last weekend. I didn't go but friends of mine said the malls were packed like Christmas. Obama and his admin know that lowering taxes helps the economy at least I hope they do... but this whole control thing is just to hard to let go of.

It only applies to STATE sales taxes.

Probably most of the buying here is just in delayed purchases.

It's rather sad, in general, that we have an economy that needs to try to induce people to buy stuff they probably don't need, probably to great degree with money they don't have.

When it comes to buying things most people are rational. Hence if they know that the tax free weekend is coming up they will curb their spending in the expectation of being able to buy stuff then. I know the retail store I worked at was very slow this past week, very busy yesterday (will be extremely busy today and tomorrow), and will likely be dead next week. Can you show me statistics on exactly how much more the economy benefits because of the tax free holiday?

Also, I bet the majority of people would be very upset if the state programs the sales tax is used to fund were to be done away with.

This.
Tennessee also has a tax free weekend. I wonder what the point is. People simply put off buying things to take advantage of the tax free weekend. They would have bought them anyway. So demand simply gets shoved into 3 days instead of getting spread out over 2 weeks No behavior is changed. No one has any incentive to work harder, save or invest.

Exactly right.

And if people have a job they will have money so those programs would not be needed.

Some of the programs I was talking about things like education, police, fire, etc which are in part funded by the money from sales taxes that the state distributes back to localities (atleast in VA anyways). I would like to see how the average person could afford their own personal police force. Some government is necessary, practical, more preferable than private business but its not free ergo requires funding.

Education? and that reflects a lot.
Police? are not legally bound to protect anyone
Fire department? Ever heard of Volunteer firemen?
There just aren't as many anarchists like you around, thank God! Can you name something the government spends money on that you cannot provide for yourself and you personally favor?

When it comes to buying things most people are rational. Hence if they know that the tax free weekend is coming up they will curb their spending in the expectation of being able to buy stuff then. I know the retail store I worked at was very slow this past week, very busy yesterday (will be extremely busy today and tomorrow), and will likely be dead next week. Can you show me statistics on exactly how much more the economy benefits because of the tax free holiday?

Also, I bet the majority of people would be very upset if the state programs the sales tax is used to fund were to be done away with.

This.
Tennessee also has a tax free weekend. I wonder what the point is. People simply put off buying things to take advantage of the tax free weekend. They would have bought them anyway. So demand simply gets shoved into 3 days instead of getting spread out over 2 weeks No behavior is changed. No one has any incentive to work harder, save or invest.

Yes, we do have a tax free weekend ... in fact it's twice a year ... and at 9.5% +/- ... it's a big savings for some people. You can't just go out and buy anything you want, there are limitations. If you happen to have 5 kids in your family, all of them school age, you have school supplies x5, clothing x5, shoes x5 ... and can spend a hell of a lot of money before it's all over.

Some of the programs I was talking about things like education, police, fire, etc which are in part funded by the money from sales taxes that the state distributes back to localities (atleast in VA anyways). I would like to see how the average person could afford their own personal police force. Some government is necessary, practical, more preferable than private business but its not free ergo requires funding.

There just aren't as many anarchists like you around, thank God! Can you name something the government spends money on that you cannot provide for yourself and you personally favor?

There’s not much I can't do. I can grow my own food I can hunt for meat if I have to. I can fish. I can even make a well for water. I can make my own mash, grow my own Tobacco. I have built one home I used to live I sold 9 years ago at a profit.. I do not need police protection and I do not go to the doctor I make my own medicine. I am very capable of defending myself. Who needs the government? those who can't provide for them self.

Last edited:

There’s not much I can't do. I can grow my own food I can hunt for meat if I have to. I can fish. I can even make a well for water. I can make my own mash, grow my own Tobacco. I have built one home I used to live I sold 9 years ago at a profit.. I do not need police protection and I do not go to the doctor I make my own medicine. I am very capable of defending myself. Who needs the government? those who can't provide for them self.
.......NEWS FLASH......NEWS FLASH.....

There are a lot of people living in communities and fewer hermits!!!!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled delusions.

.......NEWS FLASH......NEWS FLASH.....

There are a lot of people living in communities and fewer hermits!!!!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled delusions.

If you do not want the truth do not ask me any questions. You asked the question and I answered you. What elsecould I tell you?

Forum List

Back