Nobody knows nuttin!

editec

Mr. Forgot-it-All
Jun 5, 2008
Maine
So let us assume that you are hoping to pick a winning stock market prognosicator in the year 1999

Now I come along and tell you that I have a secret system and that system has a long LONG history of being very accurate,.

I show you unrefutable published evidence that I had correctly predicted whether the market would be up or down every January for 11 straight years including 1979 straight through and including 1989.

Since my predictions were publically published in a well known periodical every January, there can be absolutely no doubt that I am telling you the truth.

"It's not entirely perfect, I'll admit, because I got in wrong in 1990," I tell you truthfully, and sure enough you check and I did get it wrong in 1990.

You then you go on and see that I had indeed correctly predicted the market's direction in 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 and 1998, too.

Would you trust my judgement to help you predict the direction the market will take for 1999?

This is, incidently a REAL EVENT, so I presume that at least some of you know this story.

My point here to teach people something about life, and how easily we can ALL be fooled by reality into thinking we see trends or realities based on our own REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE, but sometimes even the reality we can see from hard won experience is not really real!

For those of you with a perchant for probability the probability of correctly guessing the direction of the market 18 out of 19 times is the same as predicting 18 out of 19 coin tosses in a series. You can do the math if it amuses you.

Now here's the zinger....

The SYSTEM the guy used to correctly predict that long series of correct market directions was the following:

Whenever an American Football team won the Superbowl, he predicted the market would rise that year. Whenever the national team won, he predicted it would fall.

This genius progosticator's name was Leonard Koppett. He was a columnist for SPORTING NEWS.

So as counter intuitive as it is for ALL of us to believe it, most of us are basing our best guesses about pretty much everything, based on little more than our own presuppositions and NOT on anything like reality based thinking.

EDITEC's RANDOM RULE TO LIVE BY
Nobody knows nuttin' about tomorrow.
(Except me, of course...cause I got a system!)

people buy pills to rid themselves of belly fat, pills to make penises bigger, pills to....

people buy get rich quick business opportunities, sure thing stock picking programs people answer e mails promising millions if you send in 5K for legal fees....

people are lazy and selfish and always have been. The first huckster who sold snake oil at the dawn of civilization knew it, PT Barnum knew it, Madow knew it...

Live by the simple motto:

Everybody Lies

and you'll be OK

people buy pills to rid themselves of belly fat, pills to make penises bigger, pills to....

people buy get rich quick business opportunities, sure thing stock picking programs people answer e mails promising millions if you send in 5K for legal fees....

people are lazy and selfish and always have been. The first huckster who sold snake oil at the dawn of civilization knew it, PT Barnum knew it, Madow knew it...

Live by the simple motto:

Everybody Lies

and you'll be OK

Damn straight.

Everybody Lies

Even those wingnuts you get your ideas from?

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." Alice

I keep no counsel but my own. i know I and my family are better off if i keep more of my money. I know I can spend, save or invest that money better than the government.

i know stock brokers and financial advisers are nought but salesmen who have their commission and not my best interests at heart.

If more people knew what I know, they might not be upside down on their mortgages or scammed by a stock broker.

Everybody Lies

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." Alice

I keep no counsel but my own. i know I and my family are better off if i keep more of my money. I know I can spend, save or invest that money better than the government.

i know stock brokers and financial advisers are nought but salesmen who have their commission and not my best interests at heart.

If more people knew what I know, they might not be upside down on their mortgages or scammed by a stock broker.

I know you should be paying me off for that nice little 'beating a dead horse' emoticon I found you.

Where's MY money?

I know you should be paying me off for that nice little 'beating a dead horse' emoticon I found you.

Where's MY money?

I haven't seen it yet hold on I'll look.

If you employ the services of an investment advisor you deserve every loss you might incur.

Either learn how to figure out trends, read balance sheets, review earnings reports, stop listening to CNBC... or don't invest at all.

If you can't figure out on your own where your money is best suited to be, keep it in your wallet. With that, your bare minimum loss is inflation, and at the very least, you can buy gold and hedge against that 100% of the time.

Forum List

Back