No statue for Robert E Lee but black ex-con Marion Barry gets one.

It doesnt make any sense. He had slaves prior to the ones his wife even inherited. I insulted it because it frequently says stupid things without checking the facts. How could he consider himself a paternalistic master if he didnt own slaves?

Robert E. Lee, slave owner

Maybe it doesn't make any sense. As far as I can tell his father-in-law asked that his slaves be freed, and yet Lee didn't free them until the plantation was able to make money. You are dealing with the times, Lee used slaves, but also freed slaves and also thought slavery was bad, but also needed to make the plantation work.

However I really don't see this as an issue, and certainly not an issue to insult people about. You have your argument, make your argument.

The issue is that Lee was a General in a treasonous army.

Not only this but these people on the right are getting all angry about people kneeling at football matches, but don't get angry that the Confederates killed 140,000 US military personnel. That contradiction right there is ridiculous.
He also didnt free the slaves he got from his mother. Yet he claimed slavery was evil. I dont have much respect for someone that knows they are doing wrong yet keeps doing it. People like that lack the stuff that makes you a man. Also if drunkycat wants to try and insult me I see no reason not to insult it back.

The problem is the time. In the modern world you might find other examples. People who work for companies who they know aren't exactly moral, but they need to earn a wage.

You want to come on to a political forum and play like a child, I can't stop you. However I think if you looked at your morals you'd see that you might find that it's not the thing to do, but yet you do it anyway, like Lee.
But we arent talking about other people. We are talking about Lee who said slavery was evil. Since he believed that then he lacked the fortitude to be a man and do what he knew was right.

My morals line up with my actions. I'm nothing like Lee. He was mentally weak and lacked personal honor and courage. I'm the exact opposite.

So you never, ever do anything which goes against what your morals huh?

Well, Lee was what Lee was, in the environment he was. Again, I don't think this is the issue.
Hell no. My pops taught me a man sticks to his convictions. Once its set in stone as my morals there is no compromising that. Never drank. Never did drugs, Never cursed around the female members of my family etc.

The allegation was made that Lee owned slaves. He did not. He inherited a few slaves but having no use for them, freed the slaves immediately.
How could he free slaves he didnt own? Are you really that retarded? You sound like a damn fool.
laugh.gif

Robert E. Lee - Wikipedia

"Lee owned a small number of slaves in his lifetime and considered himself a paternalistic master. However, he could also impose severe punishments for stealing, fighting, and especially for runaway slaves. Lee said very little in public about the institution of slavery. "
Completely wrong. Lee never owned slaves. He inherited a few slaves from his wife's estate and freed them.

He was life long military and had no use for slaves.

What Robert E. Lee Wrote to The Times About Slavery in 1858

Actually he freed those slaves after he was supposed to free them. He kept those slaves for a while and then released them after his plantation got back on its feet. Military people might still have income other than their military income.
He never released his personal slaves. I could find no record of it.

Did he have personal slaves?
Did you read the links I posted?

[

Q. How many lives did Lee send to their graves, and for what purpose.

Lincoln started the war you fool. The south just wanted to be left alone but were invaded and had to defend themselves.
The south commited grand larceny by trying
to steal a sizeable portion of land belonging the Federal governmeny. The feds just sent an army to retrieve their property.

Only Republicans find slave holders and Nazi's fascinating and patriotic. I really don't get it.

As many people have pointed out, that definition makes no sense. The japanese waged war against us in the 1940s but would you call that treason? Also lincoln hiimself always said the south was not at war. They were in "rebellion" as he put it.
THINK

The problem here is that treason is by US citizens (or better said, against your own country). It's inherent within the word treason. The Founding Fathers probably didn't think that people who could read would have problems with such things.

It's poorly written. Sorry you can't see that.

How can you explain this other than pure pro-black racism.?

Well, one was fighting against the US military, committing treason and things like that.

The other was just a mayor who smoked something the people who believe in small govt want to say you can't do. Oh, and a civil rights activist.

You don't see the difference?

I'm sure you do. One was white and one was black and you don't understand why they'd want a statue of a black person, right?
Lee wasn't treasonous. It was about sovereignty. Are you a moron or just completely intolerant?
Barry was a scam artist. Neosegregationist racist blacks bought into his scam.

Yeah right, unless of course you READ THE US CONSTITUTION, in which case he's a guilty as sin.
The constitution made the federal gov the culprit.

And how on earth do you figure that one out? Did the US govt go and fight against the US armed forces?

No!!!!!
Usurpation of state rights by an overreaching fed.

The land of the south was federal property. If they wanted to secede they should have got their traitorous asses on a boat and left federal property alone.

The south had more claim to their own land than the north did, you fool.

to steal a sizeable portion of land belonging the Federal governmeny. The feds just sent an army to retrieve their property.

As the board explained earlier, the south had more right to their own land than a bunch of yankees did. THINK, you stupid blue-belly.

The land of the south was federal property. If they wanted to secede they should have got their traitorous asses on a boat and left federal property alone.

The south had more claim to their own land than the north did, you fool.
Where did that claim get them? Lincoln and the Union thought differently. Technically, all land belongs to the US government....or... We the People collectively.

As the board explained earlier, the south had more right to their own land than a bunch of yankees did. THINK, you stupid blue-belly.
As long as they didn't present a clear and present danger by creating a Confederacy, the Union might have recognized some degree of southern sovereignty for individual states. But when multiple states conspired to take federal land and convert it into a competitive entity that would pose a threat to the well being of the Union as a whole...that could not be allowed.

DC Council Expected to Approve Statue of Former Mayor Marion Barry

oct 27 2017 Plans to erect a statue of former DC Mayor Marion Barry outside the Wilson Building are moving forward.

Vince Gray, the councilmember for Ward 7 and former Mayor of DC, said he expects the council vote to be unanimous in favor of installing the statue. “It’s the right thing to do,” Gray said.

Marion Barry served three separate times on the City Council, and a total of four terms as Mayor over a span of four decades. He was also known for his work in the civil rights movement. He was long hailed as a champion of the city’s poor, and was known for his programs creating city jobs for residents.

However, Barry’s legal troubles were just as much a part of his legacy. During his second term as mayor, he was captured in an FBI sting at a local hotel after he was caught on video smoking crack cocaine. He was convicted of cocaine possession and served a prison sentence. In later years, he was caught up in a series of legal problems involving tax evasion, traffic violations and conflict of interest accusations.

Barry died on November 23, 2014 at the age of 78.
Blacks are just as capable of picking assholes like Barry for their role models as anyone else.

That's how you know they are the same as the rest of us.

What I find of more significance is how you bigots are whining about locals deciding whether or not they want a statue of someone. You want them to be forced to worship YOUR heroes against the people's will.

This is how we know you really aren't the conservatives you claim to be. That's why I call you pseudocons.

DC Council Expected to Approve Statue of Former Mayor Marion Barry

oct 27 2017 Plans to erect a statue of former DC Mayor Marion Barry outside the Wilson Building are moving forward.

Vince Gray, the councilmember for Ward 7 and former Mayor of DC, said he expects the council vote to be unanimous in favor of installing the statue. “It’s the right thing to do,” Gray said.

Marion Barry served three separate times on the City Council, and a total of four terms as Mayor over a span of four decades. He was also known for his work in the civil rights movement. He was long hailed as a champion of the city’s poor, and was known for his programs creating city jobs for residents.

However, Barry’s legal troubles were just as much a part of his legacy. During his second term as mayor, he was captured in an FBI sting at a local hotel after he was caught on video smoking crack cocaine. He was convicted of cocaine possession and served a prison sentence. In later years, he was caught up in a series of legal problems involving tax evasion, traffic violations and conflict of interest accusations.

Barry died on November 23, 2014 at the age of 78.
Blacks are just as capable of picking assholes like Barry for their role models as anyone else.

That's how you know they are the same as the rest of us.

What I find of more significance is how you bigots are whining about locals deciding whether or not they want a statue of someone. You want them to be forced to worship YOUR heroes against the people's will.

This is how we know you really aren't the conservatives you claim to be. That's why I call you pseudocons.
The issue is using tax payer's funds to erect and maintain statues of murderous traitors .
Black taxpayers should't be subject to that kind of humiliation.and neither should surviving descendents of Union soldiers.
Losers have no rights to anything the winners don't give.

No statue for Robert E Lee but black ex-con Marion Barry gets one
From the referenced article:
“The statue hasn’t received any objections that have been presented to us.”

Inasmuch as you seem to object to the statue's installation, one must wonder how it is that you missed out on your opportunity to have raised an objection. Are you routinely a "day late and dollar short," or do you just "troll" for stuff to gripe about, regardless of whether it has something material to do with you?

Maybe it doesn't make any sense. As far as I can tell his father-in-law asked that his slaves be freed, and yet Lee didn't free them until the plantation was able to make money. You are dealing with the times, Lee used slaves, but also freed slaves and also thought slavery was bad, but also needed to make the plantation work.

However I really don't see this as an issue, and certainly not an issue to insult people about. You have your argument, make your argument.

The issue is that Lee was a General in a treasonous army.

Not only this but these people on the right are getting all angry about people kneeling at football matches, but don't get angry that the Confederates killed 140,000 US military personnel. That contradiction right there is ridiculous.
He also didnt free the slaves he got from his mother. Yet he claimed slavery was evil. I dont have much respect for someone that knows they are doing wrong yet keeps doing it. People like that lack the stuff that makes you a man. Also if drunkycat wants to try and insult me I see no reason not to insult it back.

The problem is the time. In the modern world you might find other examples. People who work for companies who they know aren't exactly moral, but they need to earn a wage.

You want to come on to a political forum and play like a child, I can't stop you. However I think if you looked at your morals you'd see that you might find that it's not the thing to do, but yet you do it anyway, like Lee.
But we arent talking about other people. We are talking about Lee who said slavery was evil. Since he believed that then he lacked the fortitude to be a man and do what he knew was right.

My morals line up with my actions. I'm nothing like Lee. He was mentally weak and lacked personal honor and courage. I'm the exact opposite.

So you never, ever do anything which goes against what your morals huh?

Well, Lee was what Lee was, in the environment he was. Again, I don't think this is the issue.
Hell no. My pops taught me a man sticks to his convictions. Once its set in stone as my morals there is no compromising that. Never drank. Never did drugs, Never cursed around the female members of my family etc.

Well you are one of a small minority on this forum. Most people on this forum have morals when it suits them, and will have the opposing morals on a different subject.

How could he free slaves he didnt own? Are you really that retarded? You sound like a damn fool.
laugh.gif

Robert E. Lee - Wikipedia

"Lee owned a small number of slaves in his lifetime and considered himself a paternalistic master. However, he could also impose severe punishments for stealing, fighting, and especially for runaway slaves. Lee said very little in public about the institution of slavery. "
Completely wrong. Lee never owned slaves. He inherited a few slaves from his wife's estate and freed them.

He was life long military and had no use for slaves.

What Robert E. Lee Wrote to The Times About Slavery in 1858

Actually he freed those slaves after he was supposed to free them. He kept those slaves for a while and then released them after his plantation got back on its feet. Military people might still have income other than their military income.
He never released his personal slaves. I could find no record of it.

Did he have personal slaves?
Did you read the links I posted?

No, I read what you post.

As many people have pointed out, that definition makes no sense. The japanese waged war against us in the 1940s but would you call that treason? Also lincoln hiimself always said the south was not at war. They were in "rebellion" as he put it.
THINK

The problem here is that treason is by US citizens (or better said, against your own country). It's inherent within the word treason. The Founding Fathers probably didn't think that people who could read would have problems with such things.

It's poorly written. Sorry you can't see that.

No, it's not poorly written for educated people.

Where did that claim get them? Lincoln and the Union thought differently. Technically, all land belongs to the US government....or... We the People collectively.

The South had as much right to say they were the US govt as the North. THINK

HAHAHA. You can't see how hypocritical you are , you dunce. It's you lefties who started this "take down the statues nonsense". THINK, white-hating racist.

Forum List

Back