"No-Show-Jones" for good

Thanks, I'll appreciate that. I use Springstein as a ready example of a guy with no talent whose music "sells" in spite of that, to demonstrate the non-relationship therein.

Your opinion, which means squat.

Yet you questioned the press coverage as though you do not get it.

I'm just noting that that contrast of value systems is still alive and well, since nobody else did.

Ah, it's YOUR value system that matters. And if someone else thinks Richie Havens was a hack that couldn't finger a proper chord on his guitar if his life depended on it, well they just don't have right value system, eh?

Pass.

There's not a damn thing wrong with using open tunings. Ever hear of Joni Mitchell? We could list her $$ and awards too, if that's the only value that gets understood around here... :eusa_whistle:

What value do you bring to the music industry?

Ah, it's YOUR value system that matters. And if someone else thinks Richie Havens was a hack that couldn't finger a proper chord on his guitar if his life depended on it, well they just don't have right value system, eh?

Pass.

There's not a damn thing wrong with using open tunings. Ever hear of Joni Mitchell? We could list her $$ and awards too, if that's the only value that gets understood around here... :eusa_whistle:

Not an iota of a hint of a damn thing. You just said the secret woid-- "industry".

Not an iota of a hint of a damn thing. You just said the secret woid-- "industry".

So you're the kind of artist that lives off of the government.

uhhh... what? :confused:

So you're the kind of poster that lives off demagogic assumptions. How uh, unusual.

What I live off has nothing to do with art. Or government. Nor is a thread about George Jones in any way about my income.

Last edited:

So you're the kind of poster that lives off demagogic assumptions. How uh, unusual.

What I live off has nothing to do with art. Or government. Nor is a thread about George Jones in any way about my income.

It has everything to do with being a successful artist. How do you measure success?

An artist measures success by the number of records he/she can sell and by how many concerts they can sell out.

But maybe you aren't a musical artist if an artist at all.

It has everything to do with being a successful artist. How do you measure success?

An artist measures success by the number of records he/she can sell and by how many concerts they can sell out.

No, record companies and concert promoters measure success that way. I thought we already covered this.

How I measure success ? That would be whether something an artist might play or compose or sing moves me (or whether something I can create moves you). Whether it speaks to and from the heart. That's what artistic success is, and there's just not a way to put a price on that. An artist doesn't do what he or she does for the purpose of income. If he does, then what he's doing isn't art.

You can sell a picture or a portrait of the Grand Canyon, but you cannot sell the feeling of the Grand Canyon --- unless you can build one.

I think when you use the term "successful artist", what you really mean is "successful pop icon". Just for perspective, a Coca-cola bottle is a successful pop icon too. But it's never going to move the heart. That's why it can't be a successful artist.

Richie Havens was a successful artist. Pop icon -- not so much.

Art is about ideas, impressions and moods, which are spiritual and intangible. Records (CDs) are about commodities-- physical objects. So all I've been saying here is that by this measuring stick we end up celebrating the ability to sell commodities, rather than the human ability to move the heart. And that says much about our values, and about idolatry.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll appreciate that. I use Springstein as a ready example of a guy with no talent whose music "sells" in spite of that, to demonstrate the non-relationship therein.

I'm just noting that that contrast of value systems is still alive and well, since nobody else did.

Pass.

A "proper" chord, and you want to talk opinions that mean squat??

My artistic tastes are irrelevant. I'm just noting that we trip all over ourselves over this jiggery-pokery of commercial art commodity numbers, rather than the art itself.
And the more you guys try to take issue by citing those numbers, the more you prove my point.

Well, as long as YOU get to determine which art is worthy of the presses attention...

Pass.

No, record companies and concert promoters measure success that way. I thought we already covered this.

How I measure success ? That would be whether something an artist might play or compose or sing moves me (or whether something I can create moves you). Whether it speaks to and from the heart. That's what artistic success is, and there's just not a way to put a price on that. An artist doesn't do what he or she does for the purpose of income. If he does, then what he's doing isn't art.

You can sell a picture or a portrait of the Grand Canyon, but you cannot sell the feeling of the Grand Canyon --- unless you can build one.

I think when you use the term "successful artist", what you really mean is "successful pop icon". Just for perspective, a Coca-cola bottle is a successful pop icon too. But it's never going to move the heart. That's why it can't be a successful artist.

Art is about ideas, impressions and moods, which are spiritual and intangible. Records (CDs) are about commodities-- physical objects. So all I've been saying here is that by this measuring stick we end up celebrating the ability to sell commodities, rather than the human ability to move the heart. And that says much about our values, and about idolatry.

You define success as what moves you?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Well when you can pay rent as well as the band, roadies, equipment, managers, transportation etc.... on what moves you, then you may be a success. But until then, you'll never amount to anything.

Well when you can pay rent as well as the band, roadies, equipment, managers, transportation etc.... on what moves you, then you may be a success. But until then, you'll never amount to anything.

I understand the nervous laughter but what you're talking about is still show business -- not art. Not one of those things you listed has anything to do with art. Nothing whatsoever.

If you can't figure out the difference by now I can't help you. That will take a more talented artist.

By the way --- how much do you make by posting here?

....... exactly.

Last edited:

I understand the nervous laughter but what you're talking about is still business -- not art. Not one of those things you listed has anything to do with art.

If you can't figure out the difference by now I can't help you. That will take a more talented artist.

Art using your definition of success isn't going to pay many bills.

And you are a naïve fool if you think that musical artists aren't interesting in making money.

I don't make a dime posting on here, unless you count that I'm on company time in which case I make just over a hundred grand a year.

I understand what you trying to do and you don't need to bother. You can try to justify your unsuccessful career by saying it's not about the money but you're only fooling yourself.

I understand the nervous laughter but what you're talking about is still business -- not art. Not one of those things you listed has anything to do with art.

And you are a naïve fool if you think that musical artists aren't interesting in making money.

I don't make a dime posting on here, unless you count that I'm on company time in which case I make just over a hundred grand a year.

I understand what you trying to do and you don't need to bother. You can try to justify your unsuccessful career by saying it's not about the money but you're only fooling yourself.

I don't know, maybe I only think I'm posting in English and it's coming out in Pashto...

Art isn't going to pay any bills, because that's not what art is. And it's not an "unsuccessful career" because by definition, its not a "career". :banghead:

No I don't believe you understand where I'm going. Your posting on this forum (or mine) isn't a "career" either. We pay no bills based on what we say here.
So why are we doing it?
Because not everything is about money.

Any light bulbs going on yet?

I'm done. I have work to do. Non-art that pays bills. Enough art for one day.

Last edited:

I don't know, maybe I only think I'm posting in English and it's coming out in Pashto...

Art isn't going to pay any bills, because that's not what art is. And it's not an "unsuccessful career" because by definition, its not a "career". :banghead:

No I don't believe you understand where I'm going. Your posting on this forum (or mine) isn't a "career" either. We pay no bills based on what we say here.
So why are we doing it?
Because not everything is about money.

Any light bulbs going on yet?

I'm done. I have work to do. Non-art that pays bills. Enough art for one day.

If you haven't noticed this thread is about George Jones and the art I'm talking about is the art of music, specifically vocalist.

And yes everything is about money, without it you could not be posting on here. No money, no computer, no internet service etc...

Forum List

Back