"No-Show-Jones" for good

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
The legendary Country singer, George Jones, passed away Friday at 81 years old. Most people are probably surprised that his liver lasted that long. His drinking and drug use became such a problem and he missed so many concerts he earned the nickname "No show Jones". When his wife hid the keys to all his vehicles he once drove a lawnmower down the highway ten miles to the liquor store. He hated the song "He stopped loving her today" and absolutely refused to record it and when he relented it became one of his all time hits. He Cleaned himself up in his old age and compared to the current pretty boy and girl "stars" in Country music these days, old timers like Jennings, Cash and Jones will be missed.

Ten miles on the Lawn-Boy's a bit suspicious, but I either heard or read he got a DUI driving the mower mostly because folks were mad he was running with the blades down and engaged, so the cops more or less had to bust him.

Booze and drugs aside, the man could sure sing!

It's a pity that so many people who are absolute geniuses have to ... water down the reality of this world.
RIP, Geo.

Last edited:
It's hard to believe George Jones gets all this press while Richie Havens -- nobody knows. :confused:

Ten miles on the Lawn-Boy's a bit suspicious, but I either heard or read he got a DUI driving the mower mostly because folks were mad he was running with the blades down and engaged, so the cops more or less had to bust him.

Booze and drugs aside, the man could sure sing!

The story may have been exaggerated in former wife Tammy Winette's biography but it ranks up there with Elvis busting into the White House and demanding to be appointed to the ATF.

It's hard to believe George Jones gets all this press while Richie Havens -- nobody knows. :confused:

List of awards received by George Jones:

1956 Most Promising New Country Vocalist Billboard
1962 Most Promising New Country Vocalist Country Music D.J. Convention
1962 Male Vocalist of the Year Cash Box
1962 Male Vocalist of the Year Billboard
1963 Male Vocalist of the Year Country Music D.J. Convention
1963 Male Vocalist of the Year Cash Box
1963 Male Vocalist of the Year Billboard
1970 Walkway of Stars at the Country Music Hall Of Fame Country Music Hall of Fame
1972 Top Vocal Duo Cash Box with Tammy Wynette
1973 Top Vocal Duo Cash Box with Tammy Wynette
1976 Top Duet Cash Box with Tammy Wynette
1980 Grammy for Best Male Country Vocal Performance for "He Stopped Loving Her Today" Grammy
1980 Male Vocalist of the Year Academy of Country Music
1980 Male Vocalist of the Year CMA
1980 "He Stopped Loving Her Today" Song of the Year CMA
1980 "He Stopped Loving Her Today" Single of the Year CMA
1981 Male Vocalist of the Year CMA
1981 "He Stopped Loving Her Today" Song of the Year CMA Won "Song of the Year" two years in a row.
1981 Male Vocalist of the Year Music City News
1981 "He Stopped Loving Her Today" Single of the Year Music City News
1986 Music Video of the Year: "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes" CMA
1987 Living Legend Music City News
1992 "He Stopped Loving Her Today" Voted All-Time Country Song
1992 Inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame Country Music Hall of Fame
1993 The Pioneer Award Academy of Country Music
1993 Vocal Event of the Year: "I Don't Need Your Rockin' Chair" CMA with Garth Brooks, Joe Diffie, Pam Tillis, T. Graham Brown, Mark Chesnutt, Travis Tritt, Vince Gill, Alan Jackson, Patty Loveless, and Clint Black
1995 Vocal Collaboration of the Year: "A Good Year for the Roses" with Alan Jackson TNN/Music City News
1998 Hall of Fame Award for "She Thinks I Still Care" Grammy
1998 Vocal Event of the Year: "You Don't Seem to Miss Me" CMA with Patty Loveless
1999 Grammy for Best Male Country Vocal Performance for "Choices" Grammy
2001 Vocal Event of the Year: "Too Country" CMA with Brad Paisley, Bill Anderson, and Buck Owens
2002 U.S. National Medal of Arts National Endowment of the Arts
2003 Ranked #3 of the 40 Greatest Men of Country Music CMT
2007 The key to the city of Corpus Christi, Texas The city of Corpus Christi, Texas
2007 Grammy Hall of Fame Award for "He Stopped Loving Her Today" Grammy
2008 Kennedy Center Honoree Kennedy Center Awards, Washington, D.C.
2010 Inducted into the Texas Country Music Hall Of Fame Texas Country Music Hall Of Fame, Carthage, TX inducted along with Ray Winkler and Al Dexter

Now list Richie Havens list of awards and let's compare.

Well, Havens had 23 albums, only three of which broke into the top 100. Among his 13 singles, only one registered on the charts.

Jones had 14 singles hit number one. He had over 100 albums with approximately 92 of them charting, most in the top 10, a few hitting number one.

So don't be confused. Jones had a far more prolific and successful career, which is why more people and more press take note at his passing.

Well, Havens had 23 albums, only three of which broke into the top 100. Among his 13 singles, only one registered on the charts.

Jones had 14 singles hit number one. He had over 100 albums with approximately 92 of them charting, most in the top 10, a few hitting number one.

So don't be confused. Jones had a far more prolific and successful career, which is why more people and more press take note at his passing.

All you've listed there is commercial stats. And the guy before your post, awards. Neither of those is any measure of artistic value.

I would think a guy with a musical name would know that. :dunno:

Selling album-commodities and winning awards is nothing more than the wanking politics of business, not art. That's the only reason Bruce Springstein, for one example, has a career.

All you've listed there is commercial stats. And the guy before your post, awards. Neither of those is any measure of artistic value.

Selling album-commodities and winning awards is nothing more than the wanking politics of business, not art. That's the only reason Bruce Springstein, for one example, has a career.

My nephew is an "artist" too. I'd send you a youtube link, but you would be unimpressed. Trust me. While there is politics in every business, commercial success is certainly one valid measure. People don't but music they don't like......otherwise my nephew would be living like a king instead of begging friends for a place to crash for a few days.

Artistic value is determined by their success and nothing determines success like having your songs hit the charts. And Jones had more than 160 charting singles in his career, both as a solo artist and in recordings with other artists — the most of any artist in any format or genre — and had No. 1 singles in four consecutive decades

My nephew is an "artist" too. I'd send you a youtube link, but you would be unimpressed. Trust me. While there is politics in every business, commercial success is certainly one valid measure. People don't but music they don't like......otherwise my nephew would be living like a king instead of begging friends for a place to crash for a few days.

Don't assume, I might like it. Why don't you post it here?

Commercial has nothing to do with art. Art is internal to the psyche; it has no equivalence in monetary terms. So actually if your nephew is scrounging for a place to crash, that's a good indication that at least he's not selling out. If he were living like a king, selling gold records, all that jazz, it wouldn't be because his art merited it, but because some huckster found a way to leech some cash off his talent. Or simply marketed him with an ad campaign even if there were no talent. You don't need me to tell you that's common.

Ultimately what my original comment means, that George Jones and Richie Havens die at the same time and only the former gets the attention -- is that masses are drawn like zombies to the shiny objects that the music-as-commodity business sells them, and then pretend that they're doing so because it's "art". Unfortunately it rarely is. And we lose a lot by getting lost in shiny objects. It says a lot about our values of placing material measures higher than spiritual ones.

Last edited:

Commercial has nothing to do with art. Art is internal to the psyche; it has no equivalence in monetary terms. So actually if your nephew is scrounging for a place to crash, that's a good indication that at least he's not selling out. If he were living like a king, selling gold records, all that jazz, it wouldn't be because his art merited it, but because some huckster found a way to leech some cash off his talent. Or simply marketed him with an ad campaign even if there were no talent. You don't need me to tell you that's common.

Ultimately what my original comment means, that George Jones and Richie Havens die at the same time and only the former gets the attention -- is that masses are drawn like zombies to the shiny objects that the music-as-commodity business sells them, and then pretend that they're doing so because it's "art". Unfortunately it rarely is. And we lose a lot by getting lost in shiny objects. It says a lot about our values of placing material measures higher than spiritual ones.

Are you retarded?

Selling records is the number one goal of any artist and the best indicator of their success.

Are you retarded?

Selling records is the number one goal of any artist and the best indicator of their success.

No, I'm an artist.
And you're dead flat wrong here; selling records is the number one goal of record companies. Which they do parasitically on the backs of artists (or fake-artists; they don't really care).
But you have confirmed everything I just said in the last post. Thanks for that.

See, when you guys speak of "George Jones' singles" or "Richie Havens' albums", that's not what they are. They're not Jones or Havens products; they're record company products.
You have to grok the difference.

Last edited:

Correct, artistic value is subjective. Of course, you asked about press coverage, which has nothing to do with subjective artistic value and everything to do with popularity and awards.

Or are you suggesting the media should cover that which YOU find artistically valuable?

My subjective critique of these musicians has nothing to do with press coverage. I would think a guy any name would know that.

Selling album-commodities and winning awards is nothing more than the wanking politics of business, not art.

And everything to do with popularity and hence, press coverage.

That's the only reason Bruce Springstein, for one example, has a career.

We'll notify the press that upon Springsteen's passing, his career should be downplayed because you don't deem him worthy. :eusa_whistle:

Correct, artistic value is subjective. Of course, you asked about press coverage, which has nothing to do with subjective artistic value and everything to do with popularity and awards.

Or are you suggesting the media should cover that which YOU find artistically valuable?

My subjective critique of these musicians has nothing to do with press coverage. I would think a guy any name would know that.

Selling album-commodities and winning awards is nothing more than the wanking politics of business, not art.

We'll notify the press that upon Springsteen's passing, his career should be downplayed because you don't deem him worthy. :eusa_whistle:

Thanks, I'll appreciate that. I use Springstein as a ready example of a guy with no talent whose music "sells" in spite of that, to demonstrate the non-relationship therein.

To clarify, I'm not "asking" about press coverage; I get that given the hangup on material commercial commodity fetishism, that contrast of buzz will follow.
I'm just noting that that contrast of value systems is still alive and well, since nobody else did.

Last edited:

Are you retarded?

No, I'm an artist. And you're dead flat wrong here.
But it has confirmed everything I just said in the last post. Thanks for that.

See, when you guys speak of "George Jones' singles" or "Richie Havens' albums", that's not what they are. They're not Jones or Havens products; they're record company products.
You have to grok the difference.

Obviously you're not a very successful one.

And the record companies would not have a product if not for the artist.

What the hell does "grok" mean?

Thanks, I'll appreciate that. I use Springstein as a ready example of a guy with no talent whose music "sells" in spite of that, to demonstrate the non-relationship therein.

Your opinion, which means squat.

To clarify, I'm not "asking" about press coverage; I get that given the hangup on material commercial commodity fetishism, that contrast of buzz will follow.

Yet you questioned the press coverage as though you do not get it.

I'm just noting that that contrast of value systems is still alive and well, since nobody else did.

Ah, it's YOUR value system that matters. And if someone else thinks Richie Havens was a hack that couldn't finger a proper chord on his guitar if his life depended on it, well they just don't have right value system, eh?

Pass.

Your opinion, which means squat.

Yet you questioned the press coverage as though you do not get it.

Ah, it's YOUR value system that matters. And if someone else thinks Richie Havens was a hack that couldn't finger a proper chord on his guitar if his life depended on it, well they just don't have right value system, eh?

Pass.

A "proper" chord, and you want to talk opinions that mean squat??
There's not a damn thing wrong with using open tunings. Ever hear of Joni Mitchell? We could list her $$ and awards too, if that's the only value that gets understood around here... :eusa_whistle:

My artistic tastes are irrelevant. I'm just noting that we trip all over ourselves over this jiggery-pokery of commercial art commodity numbers, rather than the art itself.
And the more you guys try to take issue by citing those numbers, the more you prove my point.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back