No Public Input: North Carolina Passes Fracking: Jail Time For Discussing Chemicals

Silhouette

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2013
North Carolina gets a Texas-sized warning on fracking

...Among the chemicals the study found at dangerously high levels were benzene, a known cancer-causing chemical that was detected in one sample at 55 times the Texas standard for long-term health effects. Naphthalene, a potential human carcinogen, was found at levels 3.6 times the standard. Detected levels of xylenes, potent neurotoxins, were double the long-term health standard.

Other chemicals found at levels exceeding TCEQ's health standards were dimethyl sulfide, methyl ethyl disulfide, ethyl-methyl-disulfide, trimethyl benzene, 1,2,4-trimethyl benzene, carbonyl sulfide, carbon disulfide, methyl pyridine and dimethyl pyridine.

In response, TCEQ conducted its own study, testing blood and urine samples from 28 people living in or near Dish. While it did find elevated levels of some toxic compounds in people's bodies, it attributed those to other exposures such as cigarette smoking and household cleaning products. However, TCEQ acknowledged that its study had limitations -- including the fact that it was based on a one-time sample even though the compounds of concern typically stay in the body for only a few hours.

TCEQ's findings did not assuage Tillman's worries. When his sons suffered three severe nosebleeds in the middle of the night during a single week in late May 2010, he decided to leave. In March 2011 the family moved to Aubrey, Texas -- 15 miles from the nearest gas well. Since then, he reports, his sons have not experienced a single middle-of-the-night nosebleed.

But it's not only the health impact of fracking that upset Tillman. As a conservative who was a registered Republican until he became disgusted over former Vice President Dick Cheney's role in securing the "Halliburton loophole" exempting fracking fluid ingredients from disclosure under environmental laws, Tillman is offended by the impact the gas industry has on private property rights. He says that the bill North Carolina is considering is especially troubling on that front. North Carolina gets a Texas-sized warning on fracking

North Carolina Senate outlaws disclosure of fracking fluid secrets

(Reuters) - The North Carolina Senate on Thursday voted to make it a crime to disclose the chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, even as big U.S. oil companies elsewhere consider releasing more information about the fluids to address public concerns about the environment.

The legislation, proposed by three Republican state senators and passed by a vote of 35-12, aims to protect trade secrets about fluids used to extract oil or gas from wells using fracking, which blasts sand, water and chemicals deep beneath the earth's surface.

Environmentalists concerned about groundwater contamination and health risks want more information made public... North Carolina Senate outlaws disclosure of fracking fluid secrets | Reuters

I hear it's a mandatory 4 month jail sentence for publishing the chemicals used in fracking. Once pumped into the groundwater supply there is no chance of cleaning them up...ever.

Fracking stands to be one of the worst environmental disasters in human history for its potential to cause un-cleanable forever toxic carcinogens. It will lay waste to anywhere in the US it is allowed to go forward in.

If there was ever a time to revive Earth First, this is it.

I'd like to see Stephen Colbert [before his home state just south of there gets fracking shoved down its throat without public input], take on Haliburton and go to jail [and get a Pulitzer] for exposing what's used in fracking on his show. He could go out of Comedy Central with a big bang. A Nobel Peace Prize might be in order too. Would look nice on his shelf of prizes..

Ignorance abounds, the MSDS (material safety data sheets) sheets are on file with the EPA and most are available online.

Anyone who actually KNOWS about fracking is aware that it is done 2-3 miles below ground water in sealed holes and every part of the area that is being fracked is mapped in 3 dimensions, in real time. Fracking is a science, I thought you commies are all about science.

...Among the chemicals the study found at dangerously high levels were benzene, a known cancer-causing chemical that was detected in one sample at 55 times the Texas standard for long-term health effects. Naphthalene, a potential human carcinogen, was found at levels 3.6 times the standard. Detected levels of xylenes, potent neurotoxins, were double the long-term health standard.

Other chemicals found at levels exceeding TCEQ's health standards were dimethyl sulfide, methyl ethyl disulfide, ethyl-methyl-disulfide, trimethyl benzene, 1,2,4-trimethyl benzene, carbonyl sulfide, carbon disulfide, methyl pyridine and dimethyl pyridine.

In response, TCEQ conducted its own study, testing blood and urine samples from 28 people living in or near Dish. While it did find elevated levels of some toxic compounds in people's bodies, it attributed those to other exposures such as cigarette smoking and household cleaning products. However, TCEQ acknowledged that its study had limitations -- including the fact that it was based on a one-time sample even though the compounds of concern typically stay in the body for only a few hours.

TCEQ's findings did not assuage Tillman's worries. When his sons suffered three severe nosebleeds in the middle of the night during a single week in late May 2010, he decided to leave. In March 2011 the family moved to Aubrey, Texas -- 15 miles from the nearest gas well. Since then, he reports, his sons have not experienced a single middle-of-the-night nosebleed.

But it's not only the health impact of fracking that upset Tillman. As a conservative who was a registered Republican until he became disgusted over former Vice President Dick Cheney's role in securing the "Halliburton loophole" exempting fracking fluid ingredients from disclosure under environmental laws, Tillman is offended by the impact the gas industry has on private property rights. He says that the bill North Carolina is considering is especially troubling on that front. North Carolina gets a Texas-sized warning on fracking

(Reuters) - The North Carolina Senate on Thursday voted to make it a crime to disclose the chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, even as big U.S. oil companies elsewhere consider releasing more information about the fluids to address public concerns about the environment.

The legislation, proposed by three Republican state senators and passed by a vote of 35-12, aims to protect trade secrets about fluids used to extract oil or gas from wells using fracking, which blasts sand, water and chemicals deep beneath the earth's surface.

Environmentalists concerned about groundwater contamination and health risks want more information made public... North Carolina Senate outlaws disclosure of fracking fluid secrets | Reuters

I hear it's a mandatory 4 month jail sentence for publishing the chemicals used in fracking. Once pumped into the groundwater supply there is no chance of cleaning them up...ever.

Fracking stands to be one of the worst environmental disasters in human history for its potential to cause un-cleanable forever toxic carcinogens. It will lay waste to anywhere in the US it is allowed to go forward in.

I'd like to see Stephen Colbert [before his home state just south of there gets fracking shoved down its throat without public input], take on Haliburton and go to jail [and get a Pulitzer] for exposing what's used in fracking on his show. He could go out of Comedy Central with a big bang. A Nobel Peace Prize might be in order too. Would look nice on his shelf of prizes..

They're not pumped into the groundwater.

Double casing is run through the water table, which is usually around 1000' TVD (true vertical depth). The C1-C4 gases are found at deeper depths ie 4000-12000' TVD. Also, TCEQ conducted the study and found that the carcinogens were related to cigarette smoking and then went on to making wild assumptions.

Ignorance abounds, the MSDS (material safety data sheets) sheets are on file with the EPA and most are available online.

Anyone who actually KNOWS about fracking is aware that it is done 2-3 miles below ground water in sealed holes and every part of the area that is being fracked is mapped in 3 dimensions, in real time. Fracking is a science, I thought you commies are all about science.

Fracking is mankind slitting his own throat again.

Absolutely not. More scare mongering.

accidents STILL HAPPEN Tex....so, it's not as contained as you imply...

most recent...

Fracking accident leaks benzene into Colorado stream | Grist

I so wish that were true but I watched rivers burn and saw wonder after wonder turn out to cause cancer and birth defects. Mankind is a shortsighted species.

Last edited:

I so wish that were true but I watched rivers burn and saw wonder after wonder turn out to cause cancer and birth defects. Mankind is a short-sited species.

Fracturing a formation occurs thousands of feet below surface. The fracture propagates out inside the lateral approx 300-500 feet max. Those gases are released into the well head. They don't penetrate formations while they are coming up hole.

Idiots are giving up rights to free press and speech. Making it a crime to have investigative research and or journalism. This shit could not have been imagined not to long ago. A corporation pumps chemicals into the ground and it is against the law to tell the public what chemicals they are. And look at the fools here defending that loss of liberty and freedom.

Idiots are giving up rights to free press and speech. Making it a crime to have investigative research and or journalism. This shit could not have been imagined not to long ago. A corporation pumps chemicals into the ground and it is against the law to tell the public what chemicals they are. And look at the fools here defending that loss of liberty and freedom.

And yet I would be willing to bet that you have no problem with city governments injecting fluoride directly into the water supply and pushing it off as a form of medical treatment.

most recent...

An above ground spill, has nothing to do with fracking polluting ground water. But nice try.

Put the info up on the web, the info will be almost untraceable to a source, yet the info will be out there for vetting.

Stupid NC legislators thinking the can hide the truth.

And yet I would be willing to bet that you have no problem with city governments injecting fluoride directly into the water supply and pushing it off as a form of medical treatment.

I got problems with the government telling us we aren't allowed to talk about anything we want to talk about. We have plenty of laws on the books to protect trade secrets and to punish folks who steal them or publish copyrighted secrets. This law is designed to silence free speech and debate. You want to be on the corporate rich fat cat side of the issue, and I prefer the peoples side.

I so wish that were true but I watched rivers burn and saw wonder after wonder turn out to cause cancer and birth defects. Mankind is a short-sited species.

Fracturing a formation occurs thousands of feet below surface. The fracture propagates out inside the lateral approx 300-500 feet max. Those gases are released into the well head. They don't penetrate formations while they are coming up hole.

Oil is a dirty business. No one mixes oil and water, especially drinking water, and has it work out right. I'm not paranoid here, I know the history of mankind. If I didn't, I would be as casual as you are.

most recent...

An above ground spill, has nothing to do with fracking polluting ground water. But nice try.
That is still very much a problem. Fracking produces a lot of polluted water, that isn't easy to get rid of.

most recent...

Yes it does. If a drum of chemicals falls of the back of a truck while being delivered to a fracking site it is connected to fracking and we have a right to know what chemicals are being transported and stored to and at the fracking sites.

I got problems with the government telling us we aren't allowed to talk about anything we want to talk about. We have plenty of laws on the books to protect trade secrets and to punish folks who steal them or publish copyrighted secrets. This law is designed to silence free speech and debate. You want to be on the corporate rich fat cat side of the issue, and I prefer the peoples side.

No one is preventing you from talking about what chemicals they use. Now, if you work for a company and post proprietary information you can be subject to a civil lawsuit. I don't agree with the criminal aspect.

If you actually knew what in the mix, you wouldn't allow it, which it why they are desperate to make sure you don't find out, until it's too late.

Let them frack all they want......in Texas. Go for it.

Forum List

Back