No Public Input: North Carolina Passes Fracking: Jail Time For Discussing Chemicals

It is also a debate about jail time for exposing people who intend to pollute the public water supply forever; without allowing that same public to speak out at hearings on approving that activity.

The Nazis would be proud of Haliburton. However, I think it's time for a journailst to go to jail to get his/her Pulitzer and for Earth First to get up off their deat butts and start chaining themselves to fracking equipment.

Another excellent facet of the fracking disaster is to discuss how shattering the rock below aquifers and fault lines causes new fissuring and capillary percolation of the poisons directly into the water supply. Add in some ground shaking and you have a pefect poisoned aquifer/public well and drinking water.

Forever. Fracking compounds can never be cleaned up. Once they're in the water, they're in the water. You have to pack up and move to place where fracking hasn't poisoned your municipal water system. Or watch your kids die..

this is delicious. Conservatives on the fracking bandwagon and now they have to outlaw discussing what chemicals are used. :lol:

sue me ...

Chemical Name CAS Chemical Purpose Product Function
Hydrochloric Acid 007647-01-0 Helps dissolve minerals and initiate cracks in the rock Acid

Glutaraldehyde 000111-30-8 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Quaternary Ammonium Chloride 012125-02-9 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Quaternary Ammonium Chloride 061789-71-1 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Tetrakis Hydroxymethyl-Phosphonium Sulfate 055566-30-8 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide

Ammonium Persulfate 007727-54-0 Allows a delayed break down of the gel Breaker
Sodium Chloride 007647-14-5 Product Stabilizer Breaker
Magnesium Peroxide 014452-57-4 Allows a delayed break down the gel Breaker
Magnesium Oxide 001309-48-4 Allows a delayed break down the gel Breaker
Calcium Chloride 010043-52-4 Product Stabilizer Breaker

Choline Chloride 000067-48-1 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer
Tetramethyl ammonium chloride 000075-57-0 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer
Sodium Chloride 007647-14-5 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer

Isopropanol 000067-63-0 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent Corrosion Inhibitor
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent Corrosion Inhibitor
Formic Acid 000064-18-6 Prevents the corrosion of the pipe Corrosion Inhibitor
Acetaldehyde 000075-07-0 Prevents the corrosion of the pipe Corrosion Inhibitor

Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for borate or zirconate crosslinker Crosslinker
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for borate or zirconate crosslinker Crosslinker
Potassium Metaborate 013709-94-9 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Triethanolamine Zirconate 101033-44-7 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Sodium Tetraborate 001303-96-4 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Boric Acid 001333-73-9 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Zirconium Complex 113184-20-6 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Borate Salts N/A Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Crosslinker
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Crosslinker

Polyacrylamide 009003-05-8 “Slicks” the water to minimize friction Friction Reducer
Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for polyacrylamide friction reducer Friction Reducer
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for polyacrylamide friction reducer Friction Reducer
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Friction Reducer
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Friction Reducer

Guar Gum 009000-30-0 Thickens the water in order to suspend the sand Gelling Agent
Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for guar gum in liquid gels Gelling Agent
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for guar gum in liquid gels Gelling Agent
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Gelling Agent
Polysaccharide Blend 068130-15-4 Thickens the water in order to suspend the sand Gelling Agent
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Gelling Agent

Citric Acid 000077-92-9 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Acetic Acid 000064-19-7 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Thioglycolic Acid 000068-11-1 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Sodium Erythorbate 006381-77-7 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control

Lauryl Sulfate 000151-21-3 Used to prevent the formation of emulsions in the fracture fluid Non-Emulsifier
Isopropanol 000067-63-0 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Non-Emulsifier
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Non-Emulsifier

Sodium Hydroxide 001310-73-2 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Potassium Hydroxide 001310-58-3 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Acetic Acid 000064-19-7 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Sodium Carbonate 000497-19-8 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Potassium Carbonate 000584-08-7 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent

Copolymer of Acrylamide and Sodium Acrylate 025987-30-8 Prevents scale deposits in the pipe Scale Inhibitor
Sodium Polycarboxylate N/A Prevents scale deposits in the pipe Scale Inhibitor
Phosphonic Acid Salt N/A Prevents scale deposits in the pipe Scale Inhibitor

Lauryl Sulfate 000151-21-3 Used to increase the viscosity of the fracture fluid Surfactant
Ethanol 000064-17-5 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Surfactant
Naphthalene 000091-20-3 Carrier fluid for the active surfactant ingredients Surfactant
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Surfactant
Isopropyl Alcohol 000067-63-0 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Surfactant
2-Butoxyethanol 000111-76-2 Product stabilizer Surfactant

Would you also be so kind as to list the toxicity to the human body of those chemicals above? And how drinking them in your water supply forever might not only render death to people currently occupying a region whose public water supply is derived from underground water sources, but also how that region and all its real estate value will plummet so guys like Dick Cheney can take several more exclusive lodge hunting trips each year?

Poisoning public wells isn't a right or left matter. It's a matter of public safety.

Journalists? Pulitzer?

sorry, I don't have those stats at my avail, but you can bet your aqua fina there's nothing pretty about any of them.

I second the call for power of the pen ... step up, lives depend on it.

Ignorance abounds, the MSDS (material safety data sheets) sheets are on file with the EPA and most are available online.

Anyone who actually KNOWS about fracking is aware that it is done 2-3 miles below ground water in sealed holes and every part of the area that is being fracked is mapped in 3 dimensions, in real time. Fracking is a science, I thought you commies are all about science.

Thanks for nothing and ignoring the OP.

OKTex impression: Fracking uses chemicals, Chemicals have been around since the 1800's if you knew anything about chemicals you'd know that some are good

Ignorance abounds, the MSDS (material safety data sheets) sheets are on file with the EPA and most are available online.

Anyone who actually KNOWS about fracking is aware that it is done 2-3 miles below ground water in sealed holes and every part of the area that is being fracked is mapped in 3 dimensions, in real time. Fracking is a science, I thought you commies are all about science.

Thanks for nothing and ignoring the OP.

OKTex impression: Fracking uses chemicals, Chemicals have been around since the 1800's if you knew anything about chemicals you'd know that some are good

CDC - NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards - 2-Butoxyethanol

Is this one of the good ones.

Last edited:
Oil is a dirty business. No one mixes oil and water, especially drinking water, and has it work out right. I'm not paranoid here, I know the history of mankind. If I didn't, I would be as casual as you are.

That's simple chemistry. Of course oil and water do not mix. But you would have to be ignorant to not acknowledge the breakthroughs in chemistry, physics, and medicine or the products that have made lives better.

Which does not make fracking any better.

Nor any worse.

Drink a glass of fracking water and get back to me... Or I guess you could light it on fire. Your choice..

This cant be true because don't the people have a right to know what kind of chemicals are being pumped into the ground? What kind of warped anti human law is this? Please explain the dangers of letting the public know what the chemicals are. What is the danger in the citizens of NC knowing? If this is true, this is truly profit driven only. Another way to describe it is anti human.

What do you mean no public input? I gave the governor permission to frack the fuck outta this state. We evils repubs voted for dirty air and water, drive grandma and grandpa over the cliff. Oh yeah, and starve the kids. We hate kids...unless they are gun nuts.

Drink a glass of fracking water and get back to me... Or I guess you could light it on fire. Your choice..
We're gonna need that gas, to purify the water, only some of this stuff is even more dangerous then.

Chemistry is amazing, its ability to kill is as well. I always like to remind people where Madame Curie's cookbooks are stored to this day, in lead-lined boxes. They are still so radioactive that they can't be handled with bare hands, and that was after she washed hers in order to go and make dinner.

"But what we didn't know during Marie Curie's life will stay with us for a long time. If you want to check out Madame Curie's papers without a moon suit, you should know that the most common isotope of radium, radium-226, has a half life of 1,601 years."
http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation...ie-Curie-Why-her-papers-are-still-radioactive

Last edited:
This cant be true because don't the people have a right to know what kind of chemicals are being pumped into the ground? What kind of warped anti human law is this? Please explain the dangers of letting the public know what the chemicals are. What is the danger in the citizens of NC knowing? If this is true, this is truly profit driven only. Another way to describe it is anti human.

If you or I went into a state legislature seeking permission to pump poisons into the public water supply and throw people in jail for trying to discuss the poisons I use that are impossible to clean out once they're pumped in, they'd throw me in jail for even suggesting something that outrageous.

Dick Cheney's gang wants it done and 'voila', a loophole is created. It's time for environmental activists and activist journalist seeking a Pulitzer to get bizy. That rat bastard and his sychophants-in-crime seems to have made a religion out of trashing the United States starting at the Treasury and ending up undergroud to her very last sources of fresh water. Never in the history of the US has their been a greater traitor IMHO.

..Chemistry is amazing, its ability to kill is as well. I always like to remind people where Madame Curie's cookbooks are stored to this day, in lead-lined boxes. They are still so radioactive that they can't be handled with bare hands, and that was after she washed hers in order to go and make dinner.

"But what we didn't know during Marie Curie's life will stay with us for a long time...

Good points. And the difference between Madame Curie's books and fracking poisons pumped underground is that Curie's books are contained. Fracking poisons can never be contained and it is a fact that they will percolate via capillary action into water supplies above and around them. And you don't have to drink Curie's books to maintain life functions.

That uber-powerful swine with big connections in government behind these assaults on public drinking water needs to be dethroned.

As hydraulic fracturing ramps up around the country, so do concerns about its health impacts. These concerns have led 20 states to require the disclosure of industrial chemicals used in the fracking process.

North Carolina isn't on that list of states yet—and it may be hurtling in the opposite direction.

On Thursday, three Republican state senators introduced a bill that would slap a felony charge on individuals who disclosed confidential information about fracking chemicals. The bill, whose sponsors include a member of Republican party leadership, establishes procedures for fire chiefs and health care providers to obtain chemical information during emergencies. But as the trade publication Energywire noted Friday, individuals who leak information outside of emergency settings could be penalized with fines and several months in prison.... North Carolina GOP Pushes Unprecedented Bill to Jail Anyone Who Discloses Fracking Chemicals | Mother Jones

There is no trade secret to fracking. It pumps some of the most toxic/corrosive solvents into the ground where drinking water also lies nearby. The reason it's secret is so the public won't stop them. They aren't hiding the fracking compounds as a "trade secret" because the monopoly on fracking and shoving it through governments is already at hand. Who would steal their "secrets"?

If anyone else tried to poison the public drinking supply forever, they'd be thrown in jail.

When are we going to stop this guy?

As hydraulic fracturing ramps up around the country, so do concerns about its health impacts. These concerns have led 20 states to require the disclosure of industrial chemicals used in the fracking process.

North Carolina isn't on that list of states yet—and it may be hurtling in the opposite direction.

On Thursday, three Republican state senators introduced a bill that would slap a felony charge on individuals who disclosed confidential information about fracking chemicals. The bill, whose sponsors include a member of Republican party leadership, establishes procedures for fire chiefs and health care providers to obtain chemical information during emergencies. But as the trade publication Energywire noted Friday, individuals who leak information outside of emergency settings could be penalized with fines and several months in prison.... North Carolina GOP Pushes Unprecedented Bill to Jail Anyone Who Discloses Fracking Chemicals | Mother Jones

There is no trade secret to fracking. It pumps some of the most toxic/corrosive solvents into the ground where drinking water also lies nearby. The reason it's secret is so the public won't stop them. They aren't hiding the fracking compounds as a "trade secret" because the monopoly on fracking and shoving it through governments is already at hand. Who would steal their "secrets"?

If anyone else tried to poison the public drinking supply forever, they'd be thrown in jail.

When are we going to stop this guy?

You moron. Agriculture has been poisoning our aquifers, streams, rivers, oceans for generations... with the blessing (and payments) of government.

If one well gets tainted, just one, shut the whole operation down. Simple. No leeway for mistakes. Do the fracking 50 miles away from any well. Pretty simple.

If one well gets tainted, just one, shut the whole operation down. Simple. No leeway for mistakes. Do the fracking 50 miles away from any well. Pretty simple.

I saw the map for fracking plans for N. Carolina. They plan to frack right smack in the middle of at least two river drainages, two main water sources for N. Carolinians. You cannot escape groundwater, even in the desert.

The toxic sludge left behind can NEVER be cleaned up. Once it's underground, it's there forever. A few ground shakers and just mass wasting over time will create fissures through which any supposedly "sequestered" fracking zones will percolate via capillary action into nearby water sources.

That's why in areas already fracked, people's drinking water can be lit on fire. Rule of thumb, if your drink can be lit on fire, you shouldn't be putting it in your body, or your kids bodies.

Fracking is a perverse, blatant and clear violation of the Safe Drinking Water Act. Anyone approving it is breaking federal law and should be jailed. Actually though, is jail enough? What punishement should be doled out to someone who poisons the public well?

It's the Dan River and Deep River basins that are targeted mainly [notice the diagram of fracturing and the fissures created that reach up to groundwater]. Kiss your fresh water goodbye North Carolina.

Northcarolinafracking-map_zpse7ad3c90.jpg

fracking-in-north-carolina_zpsa6a7e879.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely not. More scare mongering.

I so wish that were true but I watched rivers burn and saw wonder after wonder turn out to cause cancer and birth defects. Mankind is a shortsighted species.

:cuckoo: did you see the oceans rise as well........thats called high tide.

That must have been why those people had to relocate then, when their islands became reefs. It was just the tides. Good to know.

Fracking is mankind slitting his own throat again.

And the flatEarther chimes in on cue.

Forum List

Back