No one is going to take your guns

-- which I'm sure they would discuss like football scores.

No, but you'd see bruises. And there would be slips, anger at a social gathering, etc. I've seen lots of fights and yelling. IF hitting were part of the routine - someone would slip up.

Fact is, it just isn't part of American culture.

Self-sheltering can be bliss; I didn't realize until spending time with some local social workers how pervasive, even rampant, child sex abuse is here in the bible belt. It can be quite sobering.

Ah, the master of logical fallacy erects a straw man...

No one was talking about child sex abuse.

No, but you'd see bruises. And there would be slips, anger at a social gathering, etc. I've seen lots of fights and yelling. IF hitting were part of the routine - someone would slip up.

Fact is, it just isn't part of American culture.

Hmm... maybe you're right, let's have a look:

Ostrich-man-head-in-sand.gif

Huh, you are right. Nothing to see there. Who knew.

I suspect you'll be hearing from the women as soon as they read that btw. At which point I'm just watching. :popcorn:

Self-sheltering can be bliss; I didn't realize until spending time with some local social workers how pervasive, even rampant, child sex abuse is here in the bible belt. It can be quite sobering.

Ah, the master of logical fallacy erects a straw man...

No one was talking about child sex abuse.

It's called a parallel. And if you don't think it's related I suspect you're still looking in the same place.

Speaking of which, do you just not understand the quote in your own sig?

Last edited:

Fact is, it just isn't part of American culture...

"Fact"? Here are some actual facts:

"n just one day, September 15, 2011, 67,399 victims of domestic violence were served by domestic violence programs across the United States. On that day, local domestic violence programs answered more than 21,748 hotline calls. Unfortunately, on the same day, more than 10,581 requests for services were unmet due to inadequate funding or staff available to assist these victims. "

National Network to End Domestic Violence | Census: Domestic Violence Counts

Don't be an enemy of logic. It didn't do anything to you.

You didn't really think it through before you posted that, did you?

Wife beating is a cultural thing. American culture discourages it, and ostracizes the practitioners. The result is that it is very rare.

Muslim society encourages wife beating and honors those who do so, thus it is common in Muslim societies.

Japanese society has a long tradition of wife beating, but modern elements seek to change this, as such Japan falls between the two extremes.

Wife beating is a cultural thing. American culture discourages it, and ostracizes the practitioners. The result is that it is very rare.

Again, see 'football scores'. Ostracization means it's not admitted to or talked about in public -- not that it doesn't happen.

Just as with the incest parallel -- we never hear about it from the perpetrators; we hear it from the victims.

Muslim society encourages wife beating and honors those who do so, thus it is common in Muslim societies.

Oh here we go.... this is what the strawman was for?

Last edited:

It is not very rare. About 1 in 4 American women are victims of domestic violence. Every year more calls are logged with domestic violence help centers than they can possibly manage with the staff they have (this is across the country as a whole). It is a huge problem everywhere. The highest rates of domestic violence globally are found in poor or war-torn countries, but it is certainly not exclusive to them.

Again, see 'football scores'. Ostracization means it's not admitted to or talked about in public -- not that it doesn't happen.

Of course it happens, it just happens RARELY...

Just as with the incest parallel -- we never hear about it from the perpetrators; we hear it from the victims.

Just as your attempt to erect a straw man failed, you are again engaging in fallacy as a substitute for logic.

You don't actually know what a straw man is, do you?

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

The point is that occurrence of domestic abuse is tied to culture. Those cultures that support it - such as the Muslims, have a much greater instance. Those cultures which tolerate it, such as Japanese, have a somewhat higher instance, and those cultures which actively combat domestic violence, such as American, have a lower instance.

You're getting to the point where you can just leave the "most retarded post" line by itself with an arrow pointing up... :rolleyes:

It is not very rare. About 1 in 4 American women are victims of domestic violence. Every year more calls are logged with domestic violence help centers than they can possibly manage with the staff they have (this is across the country as a whole). It is a huge problem everywhere. The highest rates of domestic violence globally are found in poor or war-torn countries, but it is certainly not exclusive to them.

So, you are making the claim that every year, one quarter of American women are beaten?

If so, your claim is complete bullshit.

I know some of the radical organizations use a statistic that about a quarter of women have been in some sort of physical altercations in their LIFETIMES to fluff the stats. But a quarter over a lifetime IS a rare occurrence.

Of course it happens, it just happens RARELY...

:::whooosh::: point sails over head. Roll tape.

Conclusion does not follow from premise. Ostracization does not mean elimination. Nor does it mean 'less frequently'. It means it dare not speak of itself. Has nothing to do with whether it actually takes place.

Pot smoking, drunkenness, masturbation, watching WWE... they're all ostracized, and they all happen.

Just as your attempt to erect a straw man failed, you are again engaging in fallacy as a substitute for logic.

That's called "analogy", not "strawman". Circle gets the square. Next...

You don't actually know what a straw man is, do you?

Just met one in here mumbling about how spousal abuse is "rare". That was apparently used to set up the 21st century Crusades with the tired old us/them heroes/villains dichotomy. Again, premise doesn't support conclusion. Here's why:

The point is that occurrence of domestic abuse is tied to culture. Those cultures that support it - such as the Muslims, have a much greater instance. Those cultures which tolerate it, such as Japanese, have a somewhat higher instance, and those cultures which actively combat domestic violence, such as American, have a lower instance.

Poppycock. ALL patriarchal cultures support it. Whether overtly or covertly.

So, you are making the claim that every year, one quarter of American women are beaten?

Read more carefully.

If so, your claim is complete bullshit.

I know some of the radical organizations use a statistic that about a quarter of women have been in some sort of physical altercations in their LIFETIMES to fluff the stats. But a quarter over a lifetime IS a rare occurrence.

I suspect they would count my wife in the "1 in 4" figure. One of her early boyfriends in high school took a swing at her. She broke his wrist, dislocated his shoulder, and cracked three ribs.

(Having said that...I'm not sure she'd object to a spanking...) :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back