No one ever really hated gay people in this country

Sorta unreal, no one really? I think you need some gay friends.

"We are all creatures of our upbringings, our cultures, our times. And I have needed to remind myself, repeatedly, that my mother was born in the 1890s and had an Orthodox upbringing and that in England in the 1950s homosexual behavior was treated not only as a perversion but as a criminal offense. I have to remember, too, that sex is one of those areas — like religion and politics — where otherwise decent and rational people may have intense, irrational feelings." Oliver Sacks

know what really causes homosexuality....

Is homosexuality a choice, a mental illness or something simply inherent?

Is homosexuality a choice, a mental illness or something simply inherent?

I'm telling you my experience. Most of my friends didn't care if someone was gay. I didn't care if someone was gay and that is how most of the people I ever hung around felt about it. It was a non-issue and the only people who really wanted to stop gay behavior were people who had to much time to pry into someone else's lives.

It was a non-issue?

Gays couldn't adopt
Couldn't marry
Couldn't teach in schools
Couldn't hold hands in public
Couldn't serve in the military
Sodomy laws

Sure, it was a non-issue as long as they stayed in the closet.

I really enjoyed the beginning of your OP though:

I'm much older than most millennials. I remember the seventies because I lived it.

You are older than ALL millennials.

I told the truth. It was a non-issue for most people. No one spent their time worrying if Fred was gay or had secret councils to root out the gay guy. No one thought about it but I see that tripped up the PC police once again. In this modern age we do have PC meetings that go around and root out everything that isn't PC.

Being gay in the 70s meant having fewer rights than others and often times living a secretive life. What you don't like are gay people being themselves out in the open. That's your problem to deal with, not homosexuals.

I really don't have to accept anything I don't want to in this country because, contrary to popular opinion, I really don't have to do what the government tells me to do. I still retain the right to speak freely in this country so if I happen to make a statement that the two dudes kissing kind of grosses me out then I am allowed to say that because of the first amendment. I now go out of my way to tell gay people how gross I think that shit is just to break the PC ban on this crap.

Who said you aren't allowed to say anything? The fact that most people today don't care, or find you repulsive is not an assault on your fucking first amendment rights.

" I can tell you no one ever really hated gays" is a lie straight from the foundations of Hell.

The OP has a point. I remember that general atmosphere as well. People regarded them as just weird anomalies. One gay guy I knew though did get beat up all the time and there was a reason. He insisted on stalking hetero guys to try to "turn" them to be gay with him. His advances initially were met with "no dude, I'm not into that". But a couple of times he went out with friends and tried to get them drunk or use drugs and then hit more aggressively. It was these occasions where he came home broken up and bruised. He was attempting drug rape with his own friends!

Today his friends would be publicly brow-beaten and likely thrown in jail for "hate crime!"..

I generally don't like it when gay dudes check me out. It isn't their thoughts about me but more to the fact that they don't stop staring and smiling at me. It is kind of weird.
You know how many women laugh at men who say they are uncomfortable about being "checked out" and "hit on" by gay men? Most of us.

It isn't the minor glances or headturns that bothered me but more the fact this particular person just kept staring at me. I thought the guy wanted to fight me at first but then I realized that he is gay.
Women are laughing at you thinking that's bad.

It just kind of creeped me out. Like what did this guy want. Usually when one guy stares at the other it is kind of like a precurser to a fight. Direct eye contact is uncomfortable for long periods of time because one party thinks it is threatening. That is the truth. I don't know if you are a man or not but that is how men see it which is why it is uncomfortable. You don't know what the other guy wants.

The OP has a point. I remember that general atmosphere as well. People regarded them as just weird anomalies. One gay guy I knew though did get beat up all the time and there was a reason. He insisted on stalking hetero guys to try to "turn" them to be gay with him. His advances initially were met with "no dude, I'm not into that". But a couple of times he went out with friends and tried to get them drunk or use drugs and then hit more aggressively. It was these occasions where he came home broken up and bruised. He was attempting drug rape with his own friends!

Today his friends would be publicly brow-beaten and likely thrown in jail for "hate crime!"..

I generally don't like it when gay dudes check me out. It isn't their thoughts about me but more to the fact that they don't stop staring and smiling at me. It is kind of weird.
You know how many women laugh at men who say they are uncomfortable about being "checked out" and "hit on" by gay men? Most of us.

It isn't the minor glances or headturns that bothered me but more the fact this particular person just kept staring at me. I thought the guy wanted to fight me at first but then I realized that he is gay.

It just kind of creeped me out. Like what did this guy want. Usually when one guy stares at the other it is kind of like a precurser to a fight. Direct eye contact is uncomfortable for long periods of time because one party thinks it is threatening. That is the truth. I don't know if you are a man or not but that is how men see it which is why it is uncomfortable. You don't know what the other guy wants.

If I make eye contact with another man it can only mean fight or fuck? What neighborhood do you live in? Or, should I ask what cell block?

" I can tell you no one ever really hated gays" is a lie straight from the foundations of Hell.

I can tell you my experience. I knew that there were people who were truly repulsed by homosexuals and seem to go out of there way to hate them but most people were kind of neutral about the whole thing.

If I make eye contact with another man it can only mean fight or fuck? What neighborhood do you live in? Or, should I ask what cell block?

Obviously you are trying to derail this thread so I am not going to reply to you anymore.

Obviously you are trying to derail this thread so I am not going to reply to you anymore.

No, I'm quite literally responding to the words you are typing in your posts and my question to you is why does direct eye contact necessarily mean fight or fuck? So much so that every guy who looks at you apparently is raping you with his eyes. No wonder you're such a homophobe.

I'm much older than most millennials. I remember the seventies because I lived it. I can tell you no one ever really hated gays. We knew some people were gay and most of us didn't care so I want to tell younger generations that it is a lie that every proceeding generation before you made ritual out of hating gays. We did think homosexuality was abnormal and/or immoral depending on what your background was (religious or non-religious) but no matter what your background was no one ever thought homosexuality was the normal standard of all sexual relationships. That much is true.

There were people who went out of their way to be mean to gays and almost everyone had a lot of sympathy for them because of that. Homosexuality was a kind of live and let live kind of sin because if it was between two consenting adults who really cared what they did. It was kind of treated like someone's private live that no one should pry into. It was the sympathy for them that created that and I feel if it wasn't for the few bozos who went out of their way to be mean to gays the gay movement would never have gotten anywhere in this country because it was the sympathy that normal straight people had for their situation that gave their movement life so the more hatred gays got the more support their movement received. It kind of snowballed into the thing we now think of as gay marriage.
I think by the time millenials came around, much of the stigma of homosexuality had gone away for them

It was convincing the boomers and bible thumpers that took time

I'm much older than most millennials. I remember the seventies because I lived it. I can tell you no one ever really hated gays. We knew some people were gay and most of us didn't care so I want to tell younger generations that it is a lie that every proceeding generation before you made ritual out of hating gays. We did think homosexuality was abnormal and/or immoral depending on what your background was (religious or non-religious) but no matter what your background was no one ever thought homosexuality was the normal standard of all sexual relationships. That much is true.

There were people who went out of their way to be mean to gays and almost everyone had a lot of sympathy for them because of that. Homosexuality was a kind of live and let live kind of sin because if it was between two consenting adults who really cared what they did. It was kind of treated like someone's private live that no one should pry into. It was the sympathy for them that created that and I feel if it wasn't for the few bozos who went out of their way to be mean to gays the gay movement would never have gotten anywhere in this country because it was the sympathy that normal straight people had for their situation that gave their movement life so the more hatred gays got the more support their movement received. It kind of snowballed into the thing we now think of as gay marriage.
I think by the time millenials came around, much of the stigma of homosexuality had gone away for them

True but I kind of think that a lot millennials have been brow beaten into accepting such things. Look what happens when you disagree with a liberal.

Like I said two pages back...

Being gay in the 70s meant having fewer rights than others and often times living a secretive life. What you don't like are gay people being themselves out in the open. That's your problem to deal with, not homosexuals.

Being out in the open being gay is not the same thing as stripping children of their erstwhile right to both a mother and father from the marriage contract. When gay's sexual lives strip children of contractual necessities, for life, then their lifestyle must be called up short. "This far and no farther". Fuck who you want, when you want, but you can't call it married. We tell this to incest people. We tell it to polygamists. We tell it to gays. And we tell it to these groups of sexual orientations as a whole because and directly because of the children involved...

A sexual lifestyle such as incest, gay or polygamy doesn't make "legal rights" that states can't defend children against.. States should really look into New York vs Ferber: Is Gay Marriage Void? New York v Ferber (1982) Etc.

True but I kind of think that a lot millennials have been brow beaten into accepting such things. Look what happens when you disagree with a liberal.

What does that have to do with what I posted?

Do all millenials have such a short attention span?

^^ The point is there's a difference between being mean to gays and allowing gays to be mean to children. See post #51..

Being out in the open being gay is not the same thing as stripping children of their erstwhile right to both a mother and father from the marriage contract. When gay's sexual lives strip children of contractual necessities, for life, then their lifestyle must be called up short. "This far and no farther". Fuck who you want, when you want, but you can't call it married. We tell this to incest people. We tell it to polygamists. We tell it to gays. And we tell it to these groups of sexual orientations as a whole because and directly because of the children involved...

A sexual lifestyle such as incest, gay or polygamy doesn't make "legal rights" that states can't defend children against.. States should really look into New York vs Ferber: Is Gay Marriage Void? New York v Ferber (1982) Etc.

We don't "tell it to gays" they are legally able to get married, regardless of your confused opinions.

some might hate them, the Majority of people could care less. but what is going on today with them being singled out a special class of people. so the 99% who aren't homosexual should BOW to them, well that's is causing more people to DISLIKE them and how they don't see that is a shame

I can only assume Sunniman was in Damascus or Dearborn at the time he claims to have witnessed this behavior.
The fact is "gay bashing" was very rare and not acceptable behavior. The handful of incidents were condemned by society.

Nope.......I was in Oklahoma and later Texas.

Where beating up a queer was considered perfectly normal.......and still is. ...... :cool:

some might hate them, the Majority of people could care less. but what is going on today with them being singled out a special class of people. so the 99% who aren't homosexual should BOW to them, well that's is causing more people to DISLIKE them and how they don't see that is a shame

Is this about the cake?

We don't "tell it to gays" they are legally able to get married, regardless of your confused opinions.

So there you have it, all sexual orientations may marry, polyamorists, incest and gay...to hell with the children! Not all you say? Why not? (Cite the 14th Amendment in your answer..)

Sure homosexuals were hated. It's not against the law to hate people who engage in bizarre or abhorrent conduct. It's certainly clear that the sodomite community hates evangelistic Christians who refuse to sanction sodomite marriages. Homosexuals even want to impact the the economy and reduce entire states to poverty because they passed laws preventing freakazoid men from using the ladies room. Hatred goes both ways.

Forum List

Back