No Intellectuals allowed!!!!

Far be it from me to defend or pretend to add meaning to anything Bay Buchanan says, but here's my take.

There is no point in trying to "win" or entice an intellectual to your side of the political debate. An intellectual, almost by description, has thought about the issues of concern to the country and come down mostly on one side or the the other for reasons of their own.

If you are going to pander to a group, you pander to the idiots because they don't know they are being pandered to. There are plenty of idiots on both sides. Bay was pandering to idiots that also fancy themselves "patriots" as in that is one of the top five descriptors they would use in defining who they are as social beings. I would hazard to say, there are more of those who identify with the Republican party currently than the Democrat party. I also think this last is transient.

I would hazard to say, there are more of those who identify with the Republican party currently than the Democrat party.

The latest polls (latest I've seen are from April however) seem to contradict this. Only 20 to 21% identify themselves as Republicans while about 35% identify themselves as Democrats.

But to be honest, I don't see what intellectualism has to do with this partisan spin.

Are folks arguing that intellectual means liberal? Or Democrat?

I don't think so. I think both parties have intellectuals and both parties have some folks who distrust intellectualism.

I would hazard to say, there are more of those who identify with the Republican party currently than the Democrat party.

The latest polls (latest I've seen are from April however) seem to contradict this. Only 20 to 21% identify themselves as Republicans while about 35% identify themselves as Democrats.

But to be honest, I don't see what intellectualism has to do with this partisan spin.

I don't think so. I think both parties have intellectuals and both parties have some folks who distrust intellectualism.

To me, it seems that some are saying, "Smart is the new dumb".

To me, it seems that some are saying, "Smart is the new dumb".

To me it is saying that there are those who are simply being completely ruled by their partisanship.

"Smart isn't good if Democrats are smart"
"Pretty isn't good if Republicans are pretty."
"If a liberal uses CPR to bring a dying person back to life .... then that person should have died."
"If a conservative donates to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, then the Make-A-Wish Foundation must be total crap."

It's just so silly.

An intellectual is a lazy fuck who has no real world experience, no basic understanding of how an economy works, no appreciation for American history and would get mugged on a NYC Subway right in front of a policeman

I dunno........a lot of poli-sci majors have history minors........:lol:

And a lot of them got those history minors by taking:

The History of Feminism
The History of Political Struggle in the United States
The History of Colonialism in Africa and Asia
African-American History
etc.

and the history of rock and roll

Sorry, you pulled that sentence out of context. That sentence refers back to the previous one where I was discussion those people who identify themselves as "patriots." That is the "those" I was referring to in the sentence you quoted.

I agree with your sentiment that both parties have intellectuals and people who distrust them.

Sorry, you pulled that sentence out of context. That sentence refers back to the previous one where I was discussion those people who identify themselves as "patriots." That is the "those" I was referring to in the sentence you quoted.

I agree with your sentiment that both parties have intellectuals and people who distrust them.

At this point I bet most label themselves anything BUT Democrat or Republican. However, interesting results from Gallup:

U.S. More Conservative Than Obama's 2008 Win Suggests - Peter Roff (usnews.com)

U.S. More Conservative Than Obama's 2008 Win Suggests
August 18, 2009 01:39 PM ET | Peter Roff | Permanent Link | Print
By Peter Roff, Thomas Jefferson Street blog

Liberal glee over Barack Obama's election was accompanied in some quarters by smart people who claim to know something about U.S. politics engaged in a smug, even triumphal dance of joy over the defeat of American conservatism.

Gary Kamiya, the executive editor of Salon.com, equated the voters to "dogs" and conservative policy proscriptions to "dog food" when he wrote in a post-election essay that "The painful truth for conservatives is that the dogs aren't eating their dog food—and every national trend indicates that they will never eat it again."

Explaining that the ouster of conservatives from Washington "has been a long time coming," Kamiya opined that the road ahead for the Republicans presented "a wrenching choice: remain true to its increasingly irrelevant and rejected ideology and fade into political insignificance, or remake itself as essentially a more moderate version of the Democratic Party."

What a difference six months make.

The most recent Gallup poll on national ideological leanings, released August 14, shows quite clearly that, while not a majority of the country, today "more Americans consider themselves conservative than liberal," something that is a far cry from the collapse of conservatism analysis Kamiya and others advanced in the wake of the 2008 election.

In the new survey, conservatives outnumber liberals in all 50 states while liberals outnumber conservatives, and this is no great surprise, in the District of Columbia. More to the point, the lead is statistically significant...

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I would disagree with the idea that one party contains more patriots than another, but in terms of how people self-identify, and what corolation there is between self-identifying as a patriot and as a member of one party or the other, I couldn't venture a guess.

Sorry for my mistake. As I re-read your post is very clear. My fault for the mis-reading.

Last edited:
Being called "stupid" by a liberal makes me laugh. It's like the pot calling the kettle black. It's one of the things I find so humorous about liberals. They think they are so much more intelligent then anybody else and try to tell us what is good for us and what we need. Liberals are like the kid on the playground that always trys to tell the other kids what game they are going to be playing and who is going to be on each team. When they don't get their own way, they make all kinds of noise and are generally obnoxious and rude. That pretty much sums up liberals for me. Go back under your rock.:lol:

Sorry, BBD, editec isn't a liberal.

And watch out for bias. Neither party nor end of political spectrum is innocent of thinking the other side equal. Last night I watched Joe the Plumber give a speech to conservative bloggers. They cheered when he said that the US is a "godly nation" and that he is a Christian. Do Christians view non-believers and adherents of other religions equally? Or are Christians God's Chosen Ones? And when it comes to obnoxious and rude, ol' Joe talked about taking Pelosi and Reid "out behind the shed" and that his "size 12s" can be used to make people accountable. Not that I wholly disagree since I don't really like Pelosi or Reid either (I'm not a Democrat), but that isn't something someone says about other Americans who they respect as equals. Of course liberals think we're smarter than conservatives, and of course conservatives think they're smarter than us liberals. Its not being arrogant about it and open to new perspectives that's important.

Being called "stupid" by a liberal makes me laugh. It's like the pot calling the kettle black. It's one of the things I find so humorous about liberals. They think they are so much more intelligent then anybody else and try to tell us what is good for us and what we need. Liberals are like the kid on the playground that always trys to tell the other kids what game they are going to be playing and who is going to be on each team. When they don't get their own way, they make all kinds of noise and are generally obnoxious and rude. That pretty much sums up liberals for me. Go back under your rock.:lol:

And watch out for bias. Neither party nor end of political spectrum is innocent of thinking the other side equal. Last night I watched Joe the Plumber give a speech to conservative bloggers. They cheered when he said that the US is a "godly nation" and that he is a Christian. Do Christians view non-believers and adherents of other religions equally? Or are Christians God's Chosen Ones? And when it comes to obnoxious and rude, ol' Joe talked about taking Pelosi and Reid "out behind the shed" and that his "size 12s" can be used to make people accountable. Not that I wholly disagree since I don't really like Pelosi or Reid either (I'm not a Democrat), but that isn't something someone says about other Americans who they respect as equals. Of course liberals think we're smarter than conservatives, and of course conservatives think they're smarter than us liberals. Its not being arrogant about it and open to new perspectives that's important.

Some great points

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I would disagree with the idea that one party contains more patriots than another, but in terms of how people self-identify, and what corolation there is between self-identifying as a patriot and as a member of one party or the other, I couldn't venture a guess.

Sorry for my mistake. As I re-read your post is very clear. My fault for the mis-reading.

Thanks. Again, I have to apologize for wording things so carefully, but I did not say that one party contains more patriots than the other. What I said was that there are more people in one party that currently would identify themselves as "patriot" as one of the top few descriptors when they think about themselves as a social being.

Think of it like "church goer" might be another descriptor someone might us. Or, dissenter. Or, activist. Or, tree hugger.

It doesn't mean it is objectively true. It just means they think it's true. Also, I don't think one party or the other has a permanent hold over "more patriots." You could argue that in the 1950s maybe the Democrats had more "patriots" self-identified. But, I'm definitely not trying to say that one party has the patriots and the other party is unpatriotic.

Maybe if Pelosi and Reid would stop calling people Nazis, other people might stop threatening to take them behind the wood shed and kick their ass. They are supposed to be leaders in this country and they are acting like petulant college kids.

Maybe if Pelosi and Reid would stop calling people Nazis, other people might stop threatening to take them behind the wood shed and kick their ass. They are supposed to be leaders in this country and they are acting like petulant college kids.

Indeed. One of the things that has been so incredibly interesting is the reversal of the left and the right regarding protesters and dissent in general.

How many years of Bush Hitler and chimp photos? How many times was he burnt in effigy? Now these same folks that were applauding those acts, using them as avatars cannot believe there are their political opposites that are as looney as their own.

Both sides have whacky members. Problem for the Democrats, they are not going to be successful as they planned on demonizing the opposition, as Boxer noted, too many are actually dressed well, articulate, and angry. They are showing up and only a politician in denial would think they won't show up in Nov. 2010.

An intellectual is a lazy fuck who has no real world experience, no basic understanding of how an economy works, no appreciation for American history and would get mugged on a NYC Subway right in front of a policeman

Wow! Bush is an intellectual? Who woulda thunk it?

Tinker...this is known as trolling. Come on, you are better than that.

Annie: Indeed. One of the things that have been so incredibly interesting is the reversal of the left and the right regarding protesters and dissent in general.

Not sure what that means. Both the left and the right have always protested. Remember during the Republican convention when 1500 people in New York were rounded up and put in jail without any charges? Clearly that is against the law.

Then there was the "shoot to kill" at the Democratic convention in Chicago. Even though that was mostly liberals protesting other liberals.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Democrats tend to be made up of many different groups that have to "get along" while Republicans are "mostly" (not all, but mostly) white and Christian. It's why Democrats splinter way more easily.

Thanks. Again, I have to apologize for wording things so carefully, but I did not say that one party contains more patriots than the other. What I said was that there are more people in one party that currently would identify themselves as "patriot" as one of the top few descriptors when they think about themselves as a social being.

Think of it like "church goer" might be another descriptor someone might us. Or, dissenter. Or, activist. Or, tree hugger.

It doesn't mean it is objectively true. It just means they think it's true. Also, I don't think one party or the other has a permanent hold over "more patriots." You could argue that in the 1950s maybe the Democrats had more "patriots" self-identified. But, I'm definitely not trying to say that one party has the patriots and the other party is unpatriotic.

We are in accord - I didn't mean to say you were posting in regards to which party has more patriots - I just wanted to make sure it was clear that I don't believe one party has more.

Do you consider Bush an intellectual? Do you think he considers himself an intellectual?

Do you consider Bush an intellectual? Do you think he considers himself an intellectual?

I consider Bush not stupid. I don't know, and either do you on whether he considers himself an intellectual. But Bush is not in office, and won't be again.
But, Tinker's remark is nothing more than a trolling remark. That was my point, and I was respectful about it. Got a problem with that?

Forum List

Back