NFL players are the best athletes on theplanet

But the answer is: Wrestlers

Agreed, I never have been in better shape than I was when I wrestled.
The practices were much more demanding than the match.

Agree.

And it didn't help that our coach was a complete asshole. We had practice Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Eve Day - it was minus something outside (in Conn.) - about 4 feet of snow on the ground. We thought "Excellent, he can't run us to death today." He opened up all interior hallway doors in the high school and we ran laps indoors.

Don't ever discuss sports again.

I get that you don't like soccer. But the fact is that it IS a physically demanding sport.

Yeah sure it is. The fullbacks just work their asses off when their team gets the ball into the opponent's territory, right? And the goalies. I mean with SOOO many shots on goal, they just bust their asses for 90 straight minutes. :rolleyes:

Sorry bro, too much lag time during games to be comparing physical demands of soccer with some of the other major sports.

I have never seen a soccer player with a gut hanging over their belt, like you see on some offensive linemen.

I get that you don't like soccer. But the fact is that it IS a physically demanding sport.

Yeah sure it is. The fullbacks just work their asses off when their team gets the ball into the opponent's territory, right? And the goalies. I mean with SOOO many shots on goal, they just bust their asses for 90 straight minutes. :rolleyes:

Sorry bro, too much lag time during games to be comparing physical demands of soccer with some of the other major sports.

I have never seen a soccer player with a gut hanging over their belt, like you see on some offensive linemen.

That's not always an accurate way of assessing athletic ability in a given context.

I would beg to differ. Gymnasts are probably the most physically fit athletes.

As far as greatest athletes, the men who compete in the decathlon would put most NFL skill players to shame.

You ever PLAYED the game of football? High school football, maybe?

Unless you've played ORGANIZED football, and felt the physical brutality of the game first-hand, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Decathlete versus a football player? Really? Gymnasts? Really? Why didn't you include golfers and bowlers too?

Ginscpy is absolutely right on. Football players are, by far, the best all-around athletes in the WORLD.
Pussies. Rugby girls.... rugby.

Don't ever discuss sports again.

The reason why there is so much lag time is because it is physically grueling. A professional soccer player runs about 10 miles a game. An MLB infielder won't run 10 miles in a season.

Esp the skill- position players - QBs, running backs, recievers ... they routinely wiped out the NBA players in superstars competitions

A lot of fat guys in the NFL.

107095117_display_image.jpg

Hockey players to me, look like they're in the best shape...pretty solid/dense muscular structure, and they're always cut, as they say.

If you play full-contact hockey for any extended amount of time you'll be in incredible shape, it works every part of your body.

Well I wasn't comparing soccer to football anyway.

Neither compare to hockey. There's a REASON NHL players only play in shifts of about 2 minutes or less.

The reason why there is so much lag time is because it is physically grueling. A professional soccer player runs about 10 miles a game. An MLB infielder won't run 10 miles in a season.

That's understood, and noted, but running alone isn't always that much of a physical demand. It gets more demanding when you're involved in a play and are pushing hard at that moment, but most of the running is just running back and forth on the field. I would expect at a bare minimum for a soccer player to have endurance to run a lot.

But compare that running to skating around on ice in full pads and getting beaten and pounded and knocked down and whacked with a stick and having pucks blasted at your body at over 100mph.

That's understood, and noted, but running alone isn't always that much of a physical demand. It gets more demanding when you're involved in a play and are pushing hard at that moment, but most of the running is just running back and forth on the field. I would expect at a bare minimum for a soccer player to have endurance to run a lot.

But compare that running to skating around on ice in full pads and getting beaten and pounded and knocked down and whacked with a stick and having pucks blasted at your body at over 100mph.

Perhaps but you'll notice a whole lot of NHL players playing well into their 30s. Generally, soccer players burn out by 31 or 32. Hockey players are generally at or just past their peak at that age. Your average hockey plays about 15 minutes a game. Your average soccer player plays 75-90. That's not slagging hockey. It's just noting that soccer is a tremendously taxing sport.

Very few athletes are elite in many sports at a high level. If they are it's based on the individual and not the sport really. To try to compare different athletes that play different sports is impossible.

Last edited:
Esp the skill- position players - QBs, running backs, recievers ... they routinely wiped out the NBA players in superstars competitions

A lot of those fat guys are amazing athletes and do what none of your rubgy players, soccer players, or gymnasts ever could.

Amazing athletes are athletes who have enough athletic skill that they are good at multiple sports. It's hard to see what other sport a 320 pound O-lineman would be good at, unless you count competitive eating a sport.

A lot of those fat guys are amazing athletes and do what none of your rubgy players, soccer players, or gymnasts ever could.

Amazing athletes are athletes who have enough athletic skill that they are good at multiple sports. It's hard to see what other sport a 320 pound O-lineman would be good at, unless you count competitive eating a sport.

What athletes are good at multiple sports? Even Jordan sucked at baseball though he could play better than most people in the world. Relative to other baseball players he was awful.

What athletes are good at multiple sports? Even Jordan sucked at baseball though he could play better than most people in the world. Relative to other baseball players he was awful.

No, relative to every other baseball player in America, Jordan was good. He just wasn't good enough to play at the very highest level in the world. But he played at a high enough level to be offered a professional contract, which the average baseball player at 18 years of age has a less than 1% chance of ever receiving in their lifetime.

Forum List

Back