Newt on mirrors in space for nighttime driving

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Avorysuds, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    That's right, Newt supports giant mirrors in space to make it brighter so that nighttime driving is easier...

It was interesting to see Mitt actually jab at Newt for supporting mining the moon in the ABC debate last night, I had read about some of the other crazy ass ideas Newt talks about.

I am honestly wondering now that Newt is ousted as possibly the biggest liberal on the stage, along with truly "Looney" or "crazy" ideas like these, does this change the minds of any of the Newt supporters?

Newt is the only “conservative” on stage that gets to decide that 70% of his record is off limited because he apologized… Newt then turns around and wants the other 30% of his record to run off as a conservative. Who wouldn’t want to be able to exclude all their past positions and polices (DoEducation for example) that they know people won’t agree with?

I didn’t grow up with Newt as I’m 30 years old, so I believe I gave Newt an honest chance. I liked Newt before I know any of his polices, as he blew up I looked into them and just fucking wow the guy is massively liberal in the worst ways and lies non stop.

Newt Gingrich: Man of big ideas | The Economist

More troubling for Mr Gingrich's supporters, at the end of these roads (or, at least, the ones Mr Gingrich chooses to walk down) are big-government solutions. As David Brooks writes today, the candidate "has no Hayekian modesty to restrain his faith in statist endeavor. For example, he has called for 'a massive new program to build a permanent lunar colony to exploit the Moon’s resources.' He has suggested that 'a mirror system in space could provide the light equivalent of many full moons so that there would be no need for nighttime lighting of the highways.'" Practical solutions to America's problems these are not. But heck, they're a lot more interesting than, say, putting LED bulbs in street lights. My colleague calls it "brilliant nonsense". Quite right.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,779
    ahhhh obama's asswipe checks in..

3. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    So I take it you support mirrors in space then... Interesting, not shocking though. I wonder how much a brilliant project like that would cost, not to mention the more than obvious environmental impact it would have that I’m sure Newt (The smartest person in the room) would have thought of in seconds like I and everyone else would have.

4. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Right, as I was reading what you said I was like "but it would cost more just getting the energy back down to earth... Not to mention dangerous. But you have a point, not that I would agree Government should be doing the project if you also supported that idea.

5. Dot Com

Dot Com Nullius in verba Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,320
    Newt is a space cowboy :420: I used to pay some serious money to get in the shape he is sober :cheers2:

6. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Like 12 years ago or maybe more I had this idea to basically put buoys in the ocean atached to something at the ocean floor by a cable. You would do this more near the shore line, the up and down motion would pull the cable in a device that works kinda like the pully on a lawn mower, where you pull out and it sucks back… Free energy!

I saw it in Time magazine years later, an idea similar to it but I have no idea if it worked or went anywhere.

The difference is it could work, and the costs wouldn't be trillions, also the danger risk of something falling from space or having a space ship crash (not to mention polution) is not there, lol.

But in all I like the idea of different ways to get energy.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  7. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,517
    A quick question for Newt and his space mirrors..........

Now that the shuttle program is done with and we have to go to Russia to get our astronauts into orbit, how the fuck are we gonna get the mirrors up there in a fixed orbit?

8. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Here we go, I found something on it, it is similar to what I was talking about.

The Power of Teamwork: Creating energy from ocean waves

9. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    I’ve yet to see any evidence of this.

Perhaps a Gingrich supporter might be so kind as to cite an example of Gingrich being ‘smart.’

10. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,779
    ever hear of the hubble? asswipe!