Newspaper delivery should be a kids job - not adults

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
I delivered SeattlePI as a 15 year oldin the Summer of 1969 - inclu the paper of the first moon lamding.

Delivering papers is a kids job -not adults.

I feel sorry for the smucks today.

I delivered SeattlePI as a 15 year oldin the Summer of 1969 - inclu the paper of the first moon lamding.

I don't care if an adult delivers papers. Its a job, and they are earning a wage, so good on them. They should be congratulated.

I don't care if an adult delivers papers. Its a job, and they are earning a wage, so good on them. They should be congratulated.

I recall the headline: MOON WALK.

I recall the headline: MOON WALK.

Have you been drinking?

I delivered the papers before I entered Bellevue High Sshool- near MedinaWa.... (think Bill Gates)

In our area - MOST - of the carriers are adults. Most have 2-3 paper routes.
Paper routes actually pay pretty good when you figure wage per hour. My son had a route with 190 subscribers. Including time to roll up the papers, it took him about an hour and a half a day - seven days a week or average 45 hours per month. He made just about right at $500 per month plus an average of $30-$50 a month in tips.
That is $13.11 per hour.
If someone had 3 of these routes, they would make about $400 per week for only working a half-day each day.
You could do a lot worse.
Another usually-teenager job is delivering pizza. You now see a lot of adults doing this job as well. I delivered pizza when I was 18 and in school. This was in 1983. I rarely made less than $250 a week, and only worked 4 days a week....in 1983.

Paper routes actually pay pretty good when you figure wage per hour. My son had a route with 190 subscribers. Including time to roll up the papers, it took him about an hour and a half a day - seven days a week or average 45 hours per month. He made just about right at $500 per month plus an average of $30-$50 a month in tips.
That is $13.11 per hour.
If someone had 3 of these routes, they would make about $400 per week for only working a half-day each day.
Another usually-teenager job is delivering pizza. You now see a lot of adults doing this job as well. I delivered pizza when I was 18 and in school. This was in 1983. I rarely made less than $250 a week, and only worked 4 days a week....in 1983.

i think his point is that these aren't adult jobs...or shouldn't be.

you haven't responded to that.

Bellevue used to be a cool place: had a mall, Shakeys Pizza Parlor, Farrells Ice Cream Parlor , Dairy Queen, Newberrys, -the entitre small towm feel

place has gone to the pits........................

Many of the Adults delivering papers are doing so as a second job, added income, or they couldn't find a job in their field so they are delivering papers full time until a better job comes up, and of course there are the few who truly make a living off of it with a few paper routes.

And yes, when I was a child, it was the job of a child, to deliver papers...and they made good money at it, compared to the rest us waiting to turn 16 to make a little above minimum wage at McDonalds.

I applaud the Adults doing whatever it takes in these tough times to try to make ends meet....it's sad none the less though...

Many of the Adults delivering papers are doing so as a second job, added income, or they couldn't find a job in their field so they are delivering papers full time until a better job comes up, and of course there are the few who truly make a living off of it with a few paper routes.

And yes, when I was a child, it was the job of a child, to deliver papers...and they made good money at it, compared to the rest us waiting to turn 16 to make a little above minimum wage at McDonalds.

I applaud the Adults doing whatever it takes in these tough times to try to make ends meet....it's sad none the less though...

Getting Obama out would be a start

That is $13.11 per hour.

yeeesss....and my point is that it is an option that most people don't think of.
Look...we want to have a society where the cheapest price possible is what everyone wants so they can buy more stuff - this is the outcome - outsourcing anything and everything that can be done cheaper with slave-like wages.
We are were we are not because of evil corporate bastards...but because evil corporate bastards give us what we asked for...cheap prices.

I worked a rural, reservation paper route with the kids' dad for about a year. Just working friday nights from about 3-4 am until 8 he made around $800/month.

That is $13.11 per hour.

yeeesss....and my point is that it is an option that most people don't think of.
Look...we want to have a society where the cheapest price possible is what everyone wants so they can buy more stuff - this is the outcome - outsourcing anything and everything that can be done cheaper with slave-like wages.
We are were we are not because of evil corporate bastards...but because evil corporate bastards give us what we asked for...cheap prices.
if they did it to just give us cheaper prices, then there would NOT HAVE BEEN a major shift upward on salary incomes for the wealthiest and lower wages for the middle class.

This was done for their own benefit, "their" being the heads and heavy stock holders of a corporation, and the corporations benefit and absolutely not one bit, for the consumer or for the worker.

No one in the corporation thought of shipping manufacturing overseas so that they could cut the consumer a break...they did it ONLY for themselves and the corporation's benefit, not for America's, not for their workers, not for their communities, etc etc etc, but solely to enrich themselves, and as sad as that may sound, it's a fact.

I delivered the morning paper while in Jr. High School; both of my sons delivered the morning paper at the same age in the morning too. A couple of points: 1) We all made sure the paper was delivered as close to the front door [or where the customer wanted it delivered] as possible; 2) we all learned that hard work [walking a route in the driving rain at 5:00 AM carrying 75 or more papers, 365 days a year is hard work] and 3) learned a good deal about human nature.

The adults throw the paper from a vehicle and don't give a thought to where it lands. Our adult carrier delivered three different papers and several times delivered the wrong paper to us. Now I read several papers on line, get better news coverage in Time Magazine and do the crossword on my Nook.

I threw papers for five years as a kid from age 10-15. It gave me a degree of independence and responsibility. No one under eighteen throws papers anymore in my area of the country. One reason is that newspapers prefer to treat their carriers as independent contractors to limit their liability under workers' compensation insurance. This defense will not hold up well with an eleven year old kid.

In addition, the mood of the country has changed a lot in the past forty years. When I was a child we played with other kids and roamed the neighborhood. Now parents are reluctant to allow a ten year old out of their sight for fear they will be a victim of a crime. I am not so sure that society is more dangerous or that crimes are more publicized through television to give the impression that it is. There is also the undercurrent that a child who has a job will do less well in school, which should be the priority. The attitude forty years ago was that a job built character.

Tne newspaper business has also changed. When I threw the paper nearly every home subscribed to the paper. That made a route of a 100 papers reachable by bicycle. The other day, I picked up my newspaper right as it was thrown in the morning and noted that the car carrier was tossing out a paper about only sixth house or so. Therefore a hundred paper route would be difficult without an automobile. The computer and cable TV have changed things.

I look back fondly to the days when I tossed newspapers. I sure liked it better than other jobs I had when I was younger. It is too bad that this is no longer an opportunity for children, but it does provide an opportunity for adults to make ends meet, for as long as such jobs last.

We didn't throw our papers...we drove up to boxes and put them in.

He drove, I rolled and stuffed them into plastic bags, and we both put them into boxes.

He drove like a bat out of hell, too. I still have no idea how he figured out which boxes, none of them were marked, and the roads were largely gravel and not lit. There were banks of up to 15 boxes in some places, some were completely out in the wilderness.

But he was raised there. He didn't need light or numbers. It was fun to be out in the boonies when the sun came up. We would go swimming in the river afterwards.

I delivered the morning paper while in Jr. High School; both of my sons delivered the morning paper at the same age in the morning too. A couple of points: 1) We all made sure the paper was delivered as close to the front door [or where the customer wanted it delivered] as possible; 2) we all learned that hard work [walking a route in the driving rain at 5:00 AM carrying 75 or more papers, 365 days a year is hard work] and 3) learned a good deal about human nature.

The adults throw the paper from a vehicle and don't give a thought to where it lands. Our adult carrier delivered three different papers and several times delivered the wrong paper to us. Now I read several papers on line, get better news coverage in Time Magazine and do the crossword on my Nook.

You got that right. From my bicycle I made sure every paper was either on the porch or the step up to the porch. Now I am lucky if my paper clears the sidewalk since it is thrown from a moving car.

Forum List

Back