So is austerity working in Ireland?

Who gives a fuck, most people here have no idea the rules that Ireland plays by... To determine if austerity would work in Ireland we would have to know their entire political structure, how they regulate, how they don't regulate... taxes, and what cuts they are even doing and what cuts they are not doing.

I never like it when people point to another country and say "see, their 4 months of cuts are not saving the country from 100 years of progressive policies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Then we find out their cuts are bullshit and they actually spent more.

The poster child for cutting should be Harding during the depression of 1920.

Austerity= The people pay large taxes direct to banks for debt that doesn't belong to them (see Iceland) and as a result live in poverty.

Coming soon to America.

Ireland's Austerity

Ireland is being held up as the poster child for austerity measures, they've cut public services wages, raised taxes and cut government spending. Yet Ireland's economy is still in decline. So is austerity working in Ireland?

dear, there are other variables to consider, like an international recession, banking crisis, housing crisis, and sovereign debt crisis.

But, of course austerity is working. If the world doesn't deleverage debt problems will get worse and worse until there is a depression.
Get it?? When you are drunk you stop drinking (austerity) you don't keep drinking.

As a liberal you will lack the IQ to understand.

Ireland's Austerity

Ireland is being held up as the poster child for austerity measures, they've cut public services wages, raised taxes and cut government spending. Yet Ireland's economy is still in decline. So is austerity working in Ireland?

dear, there are other variables to consider, like an international recession, banking crisis, housing crisis, and sovereign debt crisis.

But, of course austerity is working. If the world doesn't deleverage debt problems will get worse and worse until there is a depression.
Get it?? When you are drunk you stop drinking (austerity) you don't keep drinking.

As a liberal you will lack the IQ to understand.
Ed, you are so juvinile. Name calling seems to be your defense of last resort.
As I have suggested many, many times, ed you can not point to at time in our history where austerity has worked. Can you, now, ed. Decrease taxes, decrease gov spending, and you get what??? Prove me wrong, ed. But then, you can not. You simply spout con dogma and insult people.

Show me where austerity has EVER worked.

Canada.

and the USA. Its the wealthiest country in human history and has had the most austerity or responsible fiscal management, until recently that is.

Does Wiseacre dolt somehow imagine expanding debt and government to soviet levels would somehow work to make us richer???

Boy if that's not a stretch, I don't know what is. No, expanding debt and spending does not make us richer, got no idea why you would think I believe that. But I really don't think we've had anything close to austerity here.

and the USA. Its the wealthiest country in human history and has had the most austerity or responsible fiscal management, until recently that is.

Does Wiseacre dolt somehow imagine expanding debt and government to soviet levels would somehow work to make us richer???

Boy if that's not a stretch, I don't know what is. No, expanding debt and spending does not make us richer, got no idea why you would think I believe that. But I really don't think we've had anything close to austerity here.

I think he is referncing to the post WWII period in which federal debt fell from a high in the 120% of GDP down to the 80s. But this wasn't austerity. Government spending grew the entire time outside of the initial cutback in military spending. It was the economy growing that shrunk the debt/GDP ratio.

You set this up as an either/or scenario, and that's just not true. To you, either a country chooses austerity, or it spends and borows it's way out of recession.

History has shown a third and better way, through the use of policies promoted by supply-side economists:

1. lower personal income and business taxes - so that people can hold, spend, save and invest more of their money

2. tighten the money supply - in our case, probably through raising interest rates and/or stopping the Fed from flooding us with cash, so the money that people have to spend, save and invest will be worth more

Canada.

Yep, austerity did work in Canada in the 1990'a, but circumstances are different in each country and times have changed. Overall, austerity has not worked very well almost 20 years later.

=================================================

"Bottom line: If an economy is already suffering from a shortfall in demand, as the U.S. is today, cutting demand further through fiscal austerity can make matters worse, not better."
Why Canada's Austerity Isn't a Good Example for U.S. - Businessweek

It's an interesting article. As a sidebar, Canada also implemented fiscal policies during that same time period that buffered the country from the worldwide recession that we still really haven't recovered from.

BEFORE THE RECESSION Ireland did EVERYTHING right if one assumes the what American RIGHT WINGERS think is right IS RIGHT. They reduced spending, they reduced taxes, they reduced tariffs all these BEFORE the recession came to the emerald isle.

STILL the recession hit Ireland, too

What most of you seem to think is that the national debts caused THE ECONOMIC DOWNTURN.

It didn't.

Ergo reducing the national debt which are not the root cause of the wrold wide recession will do NOTHING to solve the problem.

Last edited:
Ireland's Austerity

Listen/Download
Rear Vision - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Yes, it is working.

One does rather need to factor in the whole 'euro' zone thing into any examination of a single EU Country. Ireland won't 'recover' until Europe recovers. Since that ain't gonna happen any time soon, Ireland will struggle along with the rest.

BEFORE THE RECESSION Ireland did EVERYTHING right if one assumes the what American RIGHT WINGERS think is right IS RIGHT. They reduced spending, they reduced taxes, they reduced tariffs all these BEFORE the recession came to the emerald isle.

STILL the recession hit Ireland, too

What most of you seem to think is that the national debts caused THE ECONOMIC DOWNTURN.

It didn't.

Ergo reducing the national debt which are not the root cause of the wrold wide recession will do NOTHING to solve the problem.

You really need to stop being an ignorant ass and understand the complexity of the Euro Zone crisis. One cannot take one country in the euro zone and create a recovery... because their all linked so Ireland's recovery is held back by Spain, Italy, etc... but I'm sure you think you're very clever whining about the 'right wing'. All you really show is that you know jack shit about it.

You are absolutely right....
We should spend money we don't have.
Just keep borrowing and spend like crazy...
When we can't borrow any more we can print up a boatload.
Why not paper and ink don't cost all that much.

Why in the world should we cut back on anything.
Paul Krugman will back up this administration if we go this route...

Or are we already there.
:eusa_hand:

ed you can not point to at time in our history where austerity has worked.

dear, modern Germany is urging austerity on Europe so Europe can be as successful as Germany. The rest of Europe wants to be rescued or bailed out with the money Germany has as a result of German austerity!!

Asking for an example of austerity working is like asking for an example of sobriety working for a drunk!!

See why we are positive a liberal will be slow??

PS: notice how Penny as left the room because as a typical liberal she has no idea how to defend the idea that a drunk ought to drink more.

Last edited:
ed you can not point to at time in our history where austerity has worked.

dear, modern Germany is urging austerity on Europe so Europe can be as successful as Germany. The rest of Europe wants to be rescued or bailed out with the money Germany has as a result of German austerity!!

Asking for an example of austerity working is like asking for an example of sobriety working for a drunk!!

See why we are positive a liberal will be slow??

PS: notice how Penny as left the room because as a typical liberal she has no idea how to defend the idea that a drunk ought to drink more.

Ed, you need to stay current with your posts.

Germany's Economy Catches the Euro Flu
" “The German economy is clearly slowing down, and a contraction in the second quarter looks possible,” says Carsten Brzeski, senior European economist at ING Group (ING) in Brussels. While Germany is in better shape than its peers, “the most solid ship can capsize in a rough thunderstorm.”

Germany's Economy Catches the Euro Flu - Businessweek

Forum List

Back