Newer New Math

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Subtracting one number from another is now “The Granny Method?” Hunh?

Common Core now wants our kids to learn “Counting-Up Subtraction Method”.

This method of subtracting actually uses addition. For example, like the example given in the book, subtracting 38 from 325 can be derived by counting up. Raise 38 to 40, by going up 2. Raise 40 to 100 by going up 60. Raise 100 to 300 by going up 200. Raise 300 to 325 by going up 25. Then add the jumps together so that 2 + 60 + 200 + 25 = 287. That would be the answer.

Is this system supposed to turn off our kids to math? Or simply befuddle their minds? It certainly makes no sense to me.

Read more: Newer New Math RealClearPolitics

The fact that it doesn't make sense to you is an example of the problem that Common Cause was designed to fight.

People should understand how math works, not just rote memorization of addition and subtraction.

This method of subtracting actually uses addition. For example, like the example given in the book, subtracting 38 from 325 can be derived by counting up. Raise 38 to 40, by going up 2. Raise 40 to 100 by going up 60. Raise 100 to 300 by going up 200. Raise 300 to 325 by going up 25. Then add the jumps together so that 2 + 60 + 200 + 25 = 287. That would be the answer.

Is this system supposed to turn off our kids to math? Or simply befuddle their minds? It certainly makes no sense to me.

utter nonsense

The fact that it doesn't make sense to you is an example of the problem that Common Cause was designed to fight.

People should understand how math works, not just rote memorization of addition and subtraction.
Here's how math works... :slap:

abacus.jpg

I don't really see the problem. 287 is the correct answer.

Let Me know when you are able to do math this easily using this method..
The Secrets of Mental Math The Great Courses

Last edited:

Good..
Now, using "common core math" find all zeros of the following function. Show and explain all your work.

(a) f(x) = x3 − 4x2 − 3x + 18

Good..
Now, using "common core math" find all zeros of the following function. Show and explain all your work.

so, they are teaching 4th graders algebraic functions? Or are you as worthless as the liberals in not understanding the levels and purposes of anything? Or are you going to profess that teaching children the methods of addition and subtraction is on the same order as Higher Algebra?

This is why the liberals often kick the USMB's conservatives ass. You people have no concept of an argument.

Good..

so, they are teaching 4th graders algebraic functions? Or are you as worthless as the liberals in not understanding the levels and purposes of anything? Or are you going to profess that teaching children the methods of addition and subtraction is on the same order as Higher Algebra?

This is why the liberals often kick the USMB's conservatives ass. You people have no concept of an argument.

That's nice...now can you solve the problem using common core math techniques?

Good..

Common Core does not teach at that level.

Don't get the idea that I'm for common core, however, your argument is so off base as to be ludicrous.

Common Core teaches the basics at elementary level. How they learn to add, subtract, divide, multiply is not as important as their ability to get the correct answer.

Enough said on the subject.

Good..

Common Core does not teach at that level.

Don't get the idea that I'm for common core, however, your argument is so off base as to be ludicrous.

Common Core teaches the basics at elementary level. How they learn to add, subtract, divide, multiply is not as important as their ability to get the correct answer.

Enough said on the subject.
so your premise is that addition and subtraction skills aren't necessary in algebra or advanced math courses...
...or should they learn "common core" for basic math and then learn how to use a different method when they take advanced math courses?...are you a member of the teachers union or something? :)

Those cowardly whiners who cried "more accountability" and new standards and of course believe in all the nonsensical testing are to blame for all this mess. All they do is complain about teachers. They should become teachers although that would mean taking a huge salary hit as well as increasing stress levels by 500 percent.

I don't have any problem with them teaching various ways to get the answer, as long as the basics are taught in the early grades and the various methods are taught once kids are old enough to grasp it. If they start putting the cart before the horse -- that is, teaching the shortcuts instead of the basics -- then you have a problem.

I suck at math and I really suck at doing math in my head. With the exception of figuring out percents, I just have a hard time doing it in my head. I use these types of 'shortcuts' all the time. Always have.

I never understood "how math worked, much less how to do it! I am thankful for a calculator and that I know how to use one. As for Common Core - I'm told it is a disaster, Doc.

I don't have any problem with them teaching various ways to get the answer, as long as the basics are taught in the early grades and the various methods are taught once kids are old enough to grasp it. If they start putting the cart before the horse -- that is, teaching the shortcuts instead of the basics -- then you have a problem.

I suck at math and I really suck at doing math in my head. With the exception of figuring out percents, I just have a hard time doing it in my head. I use these types of 'shortcuts' all the time. Always have.

I am very bad at math - pathetic in fact! I would agree if they are teaching short cuts without the basics they are not doing the students any favors. Maybe that is why some believe Common Core was implemented to dumb down the next generation.

I never understood "how math worked, much less how to do it! I am thankful for a calculator and that I know how to use one. As for Common Core - I'm told it is a disaster, Doc.

For the most part, it is.

But it's a step in the right direction.

I am very bad at math - pathetic in fact! I would agree if they are teaching short cuts without the basics they are not doing the students any favors. Maybe that is why some believe Common Core was implemented to dumb down the next generation.

Clearly, the way that was used to teach you math didn't work so well. Why not try something different?

I wish I could agree with that 10 more times.

Memorizing is not the same as learning. Learning should involve understanding.

Forum List

Back