Newer New Math

Subtracting one number from another is now “The Granny Method?” Hunh?

Common Core now wants our kids to learn “Counting-Up Subtraction Method”.

This method of subtracting actually uses addition. For example, like the example given in the book, subtracting 38 from 325 can be derived by counting up. Raise 38 to 40, by going up 2. Raise 40 to 100 by going up 60. Raise 100 to 300 by going up 200. Raise 300 to 325 by going up 25. Then add the jumps together so that 2 + 60 + 200 + 25 = 287. That would be the answer.

Is this system supposed to turn off our kids to math? Or simply befuddle their minds? It certainly makes no sense to me.

Read more: Newer New Math RealClearPolitics

My method, in my head is:

325 - 38 = (100-38)=62+225=200+60+25+2=287

Always reduce figures to 'whole numbers' you're more familar with as with 100, 10, etc. Then break the bigger numbers into smaller component ones so they're easier to work with.

457 x 128 = (457x100)= 45,700+(457x10=4570)x2=9140 +(457x8)= (400x8)+(50x8)+(7x8) = 456+3200=3656 = (45700+9140+3656)=58496

Happens a lot faster in my head than writing it out :)

The fact that it doesn't make sense to you is an example of the problem that Common Cause was designed to fight.

People should understand how math works, not just rote memorization of addition and subtraction.

I wish I could agree with that 10 more times.

Memorizing is not the same as learning. Learning should involve understanding.

Sorry but can't help it. Common Cause is a liberal outfit that started out to open up the political process by letting people know who was/is behind political campaigns.

Common Core is the effort started by governors to try to make the education process more effective.

However, as usual, nameless people got their 2 million cents in to screw the entire process up.

Subtracting one number from another is now “The Granny Method?” Hunh?

Common Core now wants our kids to learn “Counting-Up Subtraction Method”.

This method of subtracting actually uses addition. For example, like the example given in the book, subtracting 38 from 325 can be derived by counting up. Raise 38 to 40, by going up 2. Raise 40 to 100 by going up 60. Raise 100 to 300 by going up 200. Raise 300 to 325 by going up 25. Then add the jumps together so that 2 + 60 + 200 + 25 = 287. That would be the answer.

Is this system supposed to turn off our kids to math? Or simply befuddle their minds? It certainly makes no sense to me.

Read more: Newer New Math RealClearPolitics

I use that method many years ago and occasionally do for speed...i also learned how to do fractions by learning metrics. Converting a fraction onto a metric number with decimals is easier for me than calculating fractions using the several dozens methods taught in school..

Don't care who came up with what. I rebelled against math in school since even then I had a tiny 'credit card' calculator that worked just fine. "Why would I ever need this? Is someone likely to take my word on an important answer over a calculator's or computer's? I hope not." :)

Lads,
I love this generally uninformed conversation. First lets look at where US is in the rankings:
Rankings Of Countries In Math And Science - Business Insider

Now instead of saying lets keep doin it the same way, how about doing what most countries in Europe do... Copy the good guys... Finland are always around the top of our lists...
So look here:
Gazette Finland vs U.S. 8211 An American Teacher Inside Finnish School System Compares Math Teaching Methods

8 Ways Finland Gives Its Children the Education System America Can Only Dream of - Mic

So lets just breakdown what they did differently to US:
1. One Classroom for All Levels
In the U.S., students are tracked by intelligence level from an early age. They are placed in classes according to school performance. In Finland, students of all different levels are taught in the same classroom.

2. High Status
Many in the U.S. view wanting to become a teacher as a noble, self-sacrificing act of charity. The wages, hours and working conditions are enough to burn out any eager professor. In Finland, teachers are given the same respect and social status as doctors and lawyers.

1. One Classroom for All Levels
In the U.S., students are tracked by intelligence level from an early age. They are placed in classes according to school performance. In Finland, students of all different levels are taught in the same classroom.

2. High Status
Many in the U.S. view wanting to become a teacher as a noble, self-sacrificing act of charity. The wages, hours and working conditions are enough to burn out any eager professor. In Finland, teachers are given the same respect and social status as doctors and lawyers.

3. More Play Time
Students in Finland have more than double the amount of time for play than students in the U.S.

4. All State Funded
While a mix of public, private and charter schools map the U.S.'s education system, in Finland, the school system is 100% state-funded.

5. Room to Experiment
Finnish schools have more leeway when it comes to adjusting curriculum than U.S. schools. The country's national curriculum serves as only a broad guideline.

6. One Standardized Test
While U.S. students at public schools have to take several standardized tests in order to receive funding, Finland only mandates one when the student is 16.

7. Teacher Investment
While programs in the U.S. like Teach for America have worked to fill the large holes in teacher spotsacross the country, many argue that they undercut the education system by giving inexperienced young adults insurmountable challenges.

In Finland, teachers are selected from only the top 10% of graduates. All teachers are required to have a master's degree, which is state-subsidized.

8. Less Time in School
The U.S. has short school days compared to other countries, forcing school administrators to cram classes and quick lunch breaks into a tight schedule. Some education reform advocates argue that schools should lengthen the time a child spends in school. But extending the school day means higher school costs, changes to after-school activities and large adjustments to parents.

In Finland, school days are even shorter than in the states. Teachers spend an average of four hours in the classroom each day.

Elementary school students enjoy 75 minutes of recess each day in Finland, almost three times as much as the average of 27 minutes students get in the U.S.

And just before everyone goes nuts on cost:
Finland for 6.3% of GDP (Public) and 0.1% (Private). (teach close to %100 of students)
US spent 5.5% of GDP (Public) and 2.3% (Private). (does not teach 100% of students)
File Expenditure on educational institutions 2005 and 2010 1 YB14.png - Statistics Explained

So the Finnish spend per student public and private is $7379 and US is $11509.

I am not here to dimmish the US education system but to show, if the conversation was really about making it better over our individual ideologies, then there is a proven path there. The top education systems in the world are publically funded... The countries that anything close to the private spend as US (ie UK and Japan) are doing it for more historic reasons(and don't have close to the participation compared to US, and is reducing) but both those countries are firmly invested in public education.

Forum List

Back