New Weather Satellite is up and running; Sea Ice Levels corrected

Billy_Bob

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2014
Top Of The Great Divide
WOOOOOHOOOOOO..

At long last calibrations are now completed with the new polar orbiting satellite and the last years data has been remaksed with the corrected algorithm.. Sea Ice bounces back into 2STD ranges and right where empirical observations say it should be.. Alarmists will not be happy!

nsidc-sea-ice-150917-2std1.png

Finally some decent data that reflects reality...

WOOOOOHOOOOOO..

At long last calibrations are now completed with the new polar orbiting satellite and the last years data has been remaksed with the corrected algorithm.. Sea Ice bounces back into 2STD ranges and right where empirical observations say it should be.. Alarmists will not be happy!

Hard for me to imagine what happened here. Because SIE is all visual band data. Maybe still MULTI-BAND, but still literally just pictures. How can a camera be SOOOO bad as to not get the contrast between ice and open water? Seems to me there is more to this story. Maybe screwing up on cloud cover? The Russians?

WOOOOOHOOOOOO..

Obviously due to the fantastic leadership of Obama. :eusa_shifty:

New Weather Satellite is up and running;

WOOOOOHOOOOOO..

Hard for me to imagine what happened here. Because SIE is all visual band data. Maybe still MULTI-BAND, but still literally just pictures. How can a camera be SOOOO bad as to not get the contrast between ice and open water? Seems to me there is more to this story. Maybe screwing up on cloud cover? The Russians?
Its actually taken from the LWIR bands where water, being a grey body, emits more than actual hard ice which is essentially emitting as a black body. Its the percentages of difference that had to be determined along with cloud cover affect. We haven't used photos for 15 years or so and then only to verify a regions calculations.

The secondary sounder system uses High Frequency Radio Waves and looks at the return similar to how radar works. When you use several different frequencies, which only resonate with specific materials, you can isolate ice pack from open water with very good accuracy. Ice will generate a hard return while water will generate a soft (changing shape) return.

Once your base lines are set, periodic checks are necessary to verify integrity.

I'm just happy, after three years, we have a functioning polar orbiting satellite.. Both poles are at or above the 2STD's.

Far as I can tell -- there's no issue with the older sats. It's just the latest 2 or 3 are just much higher resolution. Might find those little "icecubes" that make a grid section "iced" at 15% coverage.

GOES-16 Satellite Imagery Detects Sea Ice Swirling Near Canada | The Weather Channel
If we isolate narrow areas, we can see ship outlines.. So yes we can see down to very small chunks of ice 1' X 1' ( and probably much smaller.)

"Special Sensor Microwave Imager and Sounder (SSMIS) on the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) F-17 satellite that provides passive microwave brightness temperatures (and derived Arctic and Antarctic sea ice products) has been providing spurious data since beginning of April. Working on resolving problem or replacing this data source."

This is the item that was replaced.... it died in early 2016.

Last edited:
WOOOOOHOOOOOO..

Nobody who thinks the data from one year undermines accepted theories is entitled to an opinion on this topic.

WOOOOOHOOOOOO..

Its actually taken from the LWIR bands where water, being a grey body, emits more than actual hard ice which is essentially emitting as a black body. Its the percentages of difference that had to be determined along with cloud cover affect. We haven't used photos for 15 years or so and then only to verify a regions calculations.

The secondary sounder system uses High Frequency Radio Waves and looks at the return similar to how radar works. When you use several different frequencies, which only resonate with specific materials, you can isolate ice pack from open water with very good accuracy. Ice will generate a hard return while water will generate a soft (changing shape) return.

Once your base lines are set, periodic checks are necessary to verify integrity.

I'm just happy, after three years, we have a functioning polar orbiting satellite.. Both poles are at or above the 2STD's.
You stupid ass, do you understand what two standard deviations means? No, obviously you don't, they don't teach that in the third grade or to burger flippers.
400px-Standard_deviation_diagram.svg.png

Standard deviation - Wikipedia

seaice.anomaly.antarctic.png

seaice.anomaly.arctic.png

The correction was massive..
LOL What is massive is your ignorance if you think the lines for 2016 on either graph has the slightest resemblance to reality. You think that the EU and Japanese that are monitoring the ice with their satellites would not be reporting that kind of major change? Silly Billy, you are just about dumb as they come.

WOOOOOHOOOOOO..

Still haven't shown me anything that says previous sats were out of whack for more than a year. And it's Multi-band. The IR might have some power, the Microwave sounding might add some power to penetrate clouds for the visualization, but folks I worked with in Earth Resource imaging in the 90s -- were getting VERY accurate SIExtent measurements from JUST the visible bands. It's not that difficult.

CERTAINLY -- no revisions were necessary here beyond a year or three..

WOOOOOHOOOOOO..

You stupid ass, do you understand what two standard deviations means? No, obviously you don't, they don't teach that in the third grade or to burger flippers.

Do you see where the 3STD (sigma) marker is? are you this stupid in real life or cant you read?
upload_2017-9-17_21-6-28.png

You fucking moron..

I keep forgetting you don't know how to read technical graphing... The Crick school of ....

Last edited:

WOOOOOHOOOOOO..

Still haven't shown me anything that says previous sats were out of whack for more than a year. And it's Multi-band. The IR might have some power, the Microwave sounding might add some power to penetrate clouds for the visualization, but folks I worked with in Earth Resource imaging in the 90s -- were getting VERY accurate SIExtent measurements from JUST the visible bands. It's not that difficult.

CERTAINLY -- no revisions were necessary here beyond a year or three..
They went back 18 months. At that point the sensors were still working but unreliable.

WOOOOOHOOOOOO..

And yet -- 2 sigma is the usual bounds on things considered "random processes". Except -- this is not really "random" or even especially Gaussian --- is it? Just another lazy thing that folks do when they don't know other distributions that would be MORE applicable. Climate Scientists are guilty of that A LOT ...

WOOOOOHOOOOOO..

And yet -- 2 sigma is the usual bounds on things considered "random processes". Except -- this is not really "random" or even especially Gaussian --- is it? Just another lazy thing that folks do when they don't know other distributions that would be MORE applicable. Climate Scientists are guilty of that A LOT ...
Glad to see that you agree with your peer, Mr. Westwall.

seaice_trends_chart.png

Sea Ice Extent Sinks to Record Lows at Both Poles

Combined sea ice for both poles right at 4 standard deviations at one point. Again, Silly Billy obviously has not the slightest idea of what that means.
Your really this stupid....

Got to admit that I didn't think you were. But there you go...

Now that the system has been corrected and the values placed in equality with physical observations we are well within 2 sigma.

upload_2017-9-17_21-20-15.png

The correction is now visible. It will take about a month for the yearly mean plot to be reconfigured and corrected. Even their daily ice extents have updated today.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/global.daily.ice.area.withtrend.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back