New weapon

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by RetiredGySgt, Mar 25, 2011.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    I am thinking of buying a new weapon. I have an M1 Carbine good to a couple hundred yards and an M1 Gerand good to 1200 yards. Was thinking of getting a mid range rifle.

I do not hunt, these are for defense. Any suggestions?

2. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    AR or AK seem the obvious choices, depending on how you define "mid range." Some people hate them though.

If you don't have an AR, you probably need one. Easy, cheap ammo, and a real workhorse.

For the money, the S&W M&P AR is hard to beat. Run you right around $1000. If you want to go a little less expensive look at Rock River and Stag Arms, if you can find one. Solid, basic platforms with tight upper/lower/butt joints.

3. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Galil.

4. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    Friend had an AK, Chinese made. It was a piece of shit. With the sights all the way over it was still shooting off the target to the right.

Local gunshop has an AR for 835. Leery though, I would have to buy magazines and then stock up on ammo. I know from buying pistol mags they are beyond expensive.

How much is .223? I would want to have at least a thousand rounds.

5. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Money is no object :)

Awesome weapons. If not the finest you can buy, certainly right there at the top.

I saw a tricked-out Barret at a gun show a couple of weeks ago. Guy was asking $12,500, but he was throwing in 500 rounds as well. I was tempted......

6. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    The mags are relatively cheap sarge. $17 for a 30 rounder? And the ammo is all over the place. I've bought 1000 rounds for as little as $225 (typically an enameled casing, or a European load), but the going rate for "sufficient quality," brass casings as about $350 and up for 1000. I shoot the Remington stuff a lot....20 rounds for under $10. I keep Federal for my bulk stuff....and when you can find 5.56 NATO, I jump all over them.

835 isn't bad at all. Is it used or new, and do you know which manufacturer?

7. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    :cool: Second in line would be a Steyr AUG.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Keep in mind Sarge....ARs and AKs aren't precision rifles. You can tweak them to get pretty good and reliable accuracy, but they are designed for a different purpose than the rifles you currently have. They are "accurate enough" at 3-400 yards, but typically aren't going to shoot a tight group reliably even at 100. That is the trade off for reliability and speed. The upper/lower/butt joints are the weak links for accuracy, but the strong points for reliability and flexibility for duty. Remember they are combat weapons that were designed to fit 100s od different scenarios, NONE of which were sniping.

And I'm with you on the AK. Other than reliability (you can throw it in a mud puddle, pick it up and know it will fire), they don't do much for me. I can throw rocks more accurately than most AKs from 100 yards.

9. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    Damn Douger....we need to hang out. I want to see your gun safe!

10. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    The M16a2 is damn accurate out to 500 yards. I shot back when they used scoring and not just body shots. I routinely scored over 230 of a possible 250 score. Very tight groups on rapid fire. The A1 was not nearly as accurate.

I don't know the manufacturer. Will have to take a trip out and look at it again if still there.