new shoplifting program angers customers at walmart

no you dont have to be stupid to make a scanning error....

some stores have price fixing scanners...i just dont trust them

the 5 yr old loves the damn things...and she loves to toss every 4th item in bag without paying....i have to watch her like a hawk then count items on receipt and items in bags

What’s the downside? 🤷

If I don’t steal anything, I’ve got nothing to worry about.

Why would some poor minimum wage wal mart employee risk confronting a customer for no good reason?
Shoplifting has become so bad at Walmart that they are beginning to revert to the old business model. They had cut our Walmart back to two cashiers, but now we have four and stations for eight. I don't know if they'll get rid of self check, but they are definitely scaling it back.

no you dont have to be stupid to make a scanning error....

some stores have price fixing scanners...i just dont trust them

the 5 yr old loves the damn things...and she loves to toss every 4th item in bag without paying....i have to watch her like a hawk then count items on receipt and items in bags
I was detained in Walmart once because I scanned a large item while in the cart and didn't place it in the "bagging" area. Took an extra ten minutes while they counted my items and determined that everything was in order. They have to send a clerk to approve a check to pay on those kiosks as well. Its a pain. I'll go to the cashier.

Sounds to me like the woman stole the items.
She admitted to police that the self checkout was frozen and she couldn't find a walmart employee and just left.
Well... you can't do that.
The police agreed and she was arrested.
Walmart offered her a buyout to end the case. The buy out was $200 which included an amount to compensate Walmart for their time and manpower to file the charges/interview staff/collect a settlement.

She refused.
And then for whatever reason she won a civil trial that said Walmart threatened her and harrased her.

The woman tried to steal groceries. PERIOD.

The Walmarts out in the exurbs by me really don't have this problem, unlike the stores located in the inner ring burbs around the Twin Cities.

Walmart recently abandoned a newer store in Brooklyn Center, MN after problems with shoplifters.
Those inner ring stores are dumpy, dirty, and disorganized, and the employees just mill about.

Bad idea, social credit score cashless bullshit.

Also: Joke's on them, Walmart beef is so crappy it doesn't even taste like beef.

I hope to never buy any ever again. I bought some a couple months ago and made a hamburger

so I'm singin' "Cheeseburger in Paradise", building this burger with melted cheddar and everything except pickle,

get it done, take a bite and....it had no beef taste whatsoever.

I plan to not make that mistake again anytime soon in the near or far future. There's something wrong with that stuff.

I just got some ground beef and made hamburgers yesterday and they were very tasty.
I don't trust Walmart beef at all. Nor any kind of meat really. People get to the counter and realize their beef or chicken is going to be too expensive and just set it aside. When a Walmart employee notices it, 5 minutes later or 2 hours later, they just place it right back in the meat refrigerator or whatever it's called.

We in Texas are blessed with a chain called HEB. Last I knew, it's not even a corporation just a bunch of stores owned by one family. They don't check receipts when you go out the door their meat is always fresh, their store brands are sometimes better than the name brands. They don't sell a lot of general merchandise like Walmart does, but all that stuff can be gotten at higher quality elsewhere.

Sounds to me like the woman stole the items.
She admitted to police that the self checkout was frozen and she couldn't find a walmart employee and just left.
Well... you can't do that.
The police agreed and she was arrested.
Walmart offered her a buyout to end the case. The buy out was $200 which included an amount to compensate Walmart for their time and manpower to file the charges/interview staff/collect a settlement.

She refused.
And then for whatever reason she won a civil trial that said Walmart threatened her and harrased her.

The woman tried to steal groceries. PERIOD.
It seems that Walmart has turned this "pay us off or will send you to jail" into a profit center. Sorry, but that is wide open to abuse.

Walmart wants customers who make a mistake trying to figure out their self-checkout system to be forced to help pay for their loss prevention staff? I'm guessing that the woman won the lawsuit saying that Walmart threatened and harassed her because Walmart threatened and harassed her.

I was detained in Walmart once because I scanned a large item while in the cart and didn't place it in the "bagging" area. Took an extra ten minutes while they counted my items and determined that everything was in order. They have to send a clerk to approve a check to pay on those kiosks as well. Its a pain. I'll go to the cashier.

sounds weird ? They usually? don’t detain anyone? The come over and fix the issue. Over decades of self checkout I have missed one item. I drove back, went to desk and paid for it.

Once a $50 bill not accepted. They called MGT looking into it to see if it was machine error or counterfeit. Took ten minutes.

Self is the way to go for smaller orders for certain. If two of you, bigger orders can be done easily at the self big lane. Again, you are in control. i am an expert level checkout at many stores. Usually faster.

sounds weird ? They usually? don’t detain anyone? The come over and fix the issue. Over decades of self checkout I have missed one item. I drove back, went to desk and paid for it.

Once a $50 bill not accepted. They called MGT looking into it to see if it was machine error or counterfeit. Took ten minutes.

Self is the way to go for smaller orders for certain. If two of you, bigger orders can be done easily at the self big lane. Again, you are in control. i am an expert level checkout at many stores. Usually faster.
I don't know what word better describes my experience but "detain." An employee came to our kiosk, said there was a problem and wheeled our cart to another kiosk that apparently has "management level" abilities. We were unable to leave with our purchases until cleared. Sure we could have walked out--but our time shopping would have been wasted. Screw Walmart. If they want run a business, it is there responsibility to do certain tasks--cashier is one.

I’ve grown accustomed to self check outs and actually prefer them.

And it’s not like anyone can really say they’re “stealing jobs” from humans. WalMart can’t find enough people to man the few cashier stations they have left. No one wants those jobs anymore.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the idea of self-checkout. HEB that I praised up thread has self checkout and as far as I know has no problems with it.

Walmart management needs to understand that as with any automated system, there will be errors made. Errors By The machine, and Errors By The people using them. By Allah, do their live cashiers never make a mistake?

What Walmart needs to do is air on the side of trusting their own customers. That's the way to avoid losing a lawsuit after treating a customer like a criminal.

I get that their low prices attract the worst elements, sometimes. Maybe they should have a door in the back for people to use their EBT cards. They can just tell the people working that counter what they want and have it brought to them.

who does leftflinger remind me of? i would rather be a biden voter than vote for a lair like trump who betrays everyone he comes in contact with....who doesnt believe in the us constitution

you’re just lucky a respected board member has pity on you and asked for less from me exposing you. That is all//

I hate it. I'll wait behind somebody with $360 worth of stuff and paying with an EBT card, but I ain't doing the self-checkout.
I've only used it a couple times with a handful of items and no one else using the kiosk. Using it, I wondered how the hell they could prevent someone from not scanning.

LOL, no cashiers, but they have twenty people walking around the store shopping for people who are too lazy to do their own shopping.

with flash mobs, BS lawsuits & shoplifting ALL retail will be online order. You can drive thru to pick up or have delivered, I would ASSume? You won’t get to hand select your items.

i refuse to do self check out...i refuse to make a mistake and called a shoplifter....i do not work for walmart
Every time I go to Walmart and do the self checkout I see dozens of items being thrown into the carriage that are not being passed over the scanner. I see people walking straight out the door without going anywhere near a register sometimes with full carriages. The truth is they're not really getting away with it because it's all on record and his Walmart uses facial scanning technology that they share with the FBI. After several successful walkouts your face will be on a high priority list and you will be denied entry into the store... And maybe even picked up by the local police who will be alerted to the fact that you are now on the premises.

I've only used it a couple times with a handful of items and no one else using the kiosk. Using it, I wondered how the hell they could prevent someone from not scanning.
Everything is recorded. if you pass an item over the scanner and it doesn't take and you put it in your carriage anyway they know. You may not get stopped at the door but it is recorded along with your identity and a file begins to build. Truth is I see massive theft every time I go to Walmart so their far from solving the problem. But nobody is really getting away with it because their faces go into a permanent database and if they cause too much financial damage their first arrest might cost them 5 years in prison.

Forum List

Back