New question in Texas: Can Davis survive defeat?

You think they locked up their teabaggers? We still have free range Louie Gohmerts and Ted Cruzes running wild all over the place. If Wendy doesn't win, it won't be because the people of Texas don't support her. It will be because of gerrymandering and voter suppression. I challenge you to look at congressional maps around Austin and Houston, and find such one sided district lines in any state at any time. I mentioned those two towns only because they are well known, but the extreme gerrymandering is across the state.

I don't think Gerrymandering will have anything to do with Davis' loss.

Davis will lose because she ran an awful campaign and she was a terrible candidate. This is the problem with leaping on celebrity. There were probably a bunch of more qualified Democrats with more skills who could have given Abbot a run for his money. They certainly wouldn't have had the common fucking sense to NOT try to make the man's wheelchair an issue.

But a bunch of outside the state groups said, "Wow, she delayed a bunch of bad abortion laws for a week by talking for a bunch of hours, let's nominate her!!!"

And she wasn't even particularly articulate in explaining the pro-choice position.

Cracks me up when an intellectually enlightened liberal takes a potshot at Texas. You know, that state with the best economy in the country. Yep, the conservatives have certainly turned the Lonestar state into a shithole alright.

Eagle Ford so far has dropped about 87 billion in economic impact on Texas. Any other state would be doing ok with that kind of bump. If you think Texas is doing good because of anything Perry, or any of the republican politicians have done, then why have such a large majority of schools had to sue the state over unconstitutional funding cuts?

Zero impact or growth would have resulted in the same electoral outcomes.

Make up your mind. Your post that I responded to had to do with the Texas economy. Back up what you say instead of running to a different subject

Well, that is what "king of cars" said. Truth be told that the "best economy" isn't the best economy at all when quality of life is measured....but that isn't what I said anyway.

Quality of life being measured??? In Texas??? There are jobs EVERYWHERE out here. The kind of jobs that people in California would line up around the block for to get a shot at. Outstanding schools out here also. Not saying it is because of Perry, or any ONE republican for that matter. The health of this state's economy, though, can certainly be attributed to conservative economic and political policies.

People rag on Texas. Don't really know why. The people are nice, the property is cheap as hell (especially for someone coming from California where you can't even get a $350k house in the ghetto of National City in San Diego). Do you know what sort of house $350k buys you in Texas? An outstanding neighborhood and a friggin' mansion.

There's only 2 things about Texas I have to accept: The weather sucks (for a lifelong SoCal guy who's used to 79 degrees w/ an ocean breeze for 300 days a year). The other thing is the mexican food. It blows. Other than that, this place rocks!!

Cracks me up when an intellectually enlightened liberal takes a potshot at Texas. You know, that state with the best economy in the country. Yep, the conservatives have certainly turned the Lonestar state into a shithole alright.

Eagle Ford so far has dropped about 87 billion in economic impact on Texas. Any other state would be doing ok with that kind of bump. If you think Texas is doing good because of anything Perry, or any of the republican politicians have done, then why have such a large majority of schools had to sue the state over unconstitutional funding cuts?

Zero impact or growth would have resulted in the same electoral outcomes.

Make up your mind. Your post that I responded to had to do with the Texas economy. Back up what you say instead of running to a different subject

Well, that is what "king of cars" said. Truth be told that the "best economy" isn't the best economy at all when quality of life is measured....but that isn't what I said anyway.

Quality of life being measured??? In Texas??? There are jobs EVERYWHERE out here. The kind of jobs that people in California would line up around the block for to get a shot at. Outstanding schools out here also. Not saying it is because of Perry, or any ONE republican for that matter. The health of this state's economy, though, can certainly be attributed to conservative economic and political policies.
Yes and so can the number of kids in poverty, exploding plants, dirty air, non-stop traffic, etc...

People rag on Texas. Don't really know why. The people are nice, the property is cheap as hell (especially for someone coming from California where you can't even get a $350k house in the ghetto of National City in San Diego). Do you know what sort of house $350k buys you in Texas? An outstanding neighborhood and a friggin' mansion.
Ever pay property taxes in Texas? There's the rub.

There's only 2 things about Texas I have to accept: The weather sucks (for a lifelong SoCal guy who's used to 79 degrees w/ an ocean breeze for 300 days a year). The other thing is the mexican food. It blows. Other than that, this place rocks!!

Actually the Mexican food is wonderful; aside from that, if I were going to give the world an enema, I would stick the nozzle in Texas.

You haven't given examples of anything you just keep avoiding the thread topic and making excuses for the fact the Democrats choose a poor candi who has run a poor campaign. The reason Democrats can't get elected is because Texas has had good economic growth and job creation which has happened under Republican leadership if that was not the case Democrats could get elected. Unlike a lot of the nation we understand the concept of if it's not broke don't fix it nor do we embrace change just for the sake of change as the rest of the country has discovered just because you are promised change does not mean it will be change for the better. When a party's policies work for the people they tend to stay in power when they don't they find themselves in danger of losing the Senate.

If the DEMS didn't have 3-4 retirees, the GOP would not be getting the Senate next week. Rockefeller would not be losing West VA and Harkin would not be losing in Iowa.

So if/when the DEMS take the US Senate back in 2016, that will be because the GOP policies are failures?
Still making the excuses I see as far as GOP policies and the Senate go in 2016 that will depend on how much of their legislation makes it to the Presidents desk and what he does with it. If he signs it into law and it does not work that will be GOP policy failures however the other possibility and more likely one is he will veto them in that case it would be rather silly to call something that was never put into effect a success or failure.
He'll veto everything that comes across his desk, then legislate what he wants from the Oval Office (or golf course) He's pushing for a Constitutional crisis and hoping his dictatorial violations will be accepted and set a precedent for future lawlessness by Democrats.

Another reason to chuckle...

One of the reasons for the decline in Obama's poll numbers is that he's not been able to pick a fight with the GOP opponents. This is because the GOP realized the election was shaping up okay for them and they went into "let's don't remind them of how crazy we are" mode. So that is why we've seen such a boring election season by and large.

Once he starts vetoing GOP bills to defund the government, up go his popularity rankings. I sort of hope the GOP actually does re-take the Senate if, for no other reason than that.
Ah yes, the old chestnut: Obama isnt more popular because he hasnt been radical enough.
Yeah, that's not true either. He is President Fail, a total clusterfuck of policy.

Of course I (nor anyone else) has said that. He's dipped in popularity since he hasn't had someone to spar with lately since you guys have been doing your best to come off as not-so-crazy. Congratulations..it probably will work.

Once Obama starts sending bills back with a big red stamp on them...his popularity will soar with his base. The moderate and independents naturally like winners and since none of the vetoes will be overridden...look for him to be back over 50% by the Summer.

You think they locked up their teabaggers? We still have free range Louie Gohmerts and Ted Cruzes running wild all over the place. If Wendy doesn't win, it won't be because the people of Texas don't support her. It will be because of gerrymandering and voter suppression. I challenge you to look at congressional maps around Austin and Houston, and find such one sided district lines in any state at any time. I mentioned those two towns only because they are well known, but the extreme gerrymandering is across the state.

Davis will lose because she ran an awful campaign and she was a terrible candidate. This is the problem with leaping on celebrity. There were probably a bunch of more qualified Democrats with more skills who could have given Abbot a run for his money. They certainly wouldn't have had the common fucking sense to NOT try to make the man's wheelchair an issue.

But a bunch of outside the state groups said, "Wow, she delayed a bunch of bad abortion laws for a week by talking for a bunch of hours, let's nominate her!!!"

And she wasn't even particularly articulate in explaining the pro-choice position.

Hey stupid fuck?

YOU CAN'T GERRYMANDER a Gubernatorial Election.

She is their version of Sharon Angle.
IF that is your position, you should give examples (as I did). No democrat in today's environment would win state wide office. Bob Bullock would not get elected .

So feel free to give the examples which, we both know, you won't do.
You haven't given examples of anything you just keep avoiding the thread topic and making excuses for the fact the Democrats choose a poor candi who has run a poor campaign. The reason Democrats can't get elected is because Texas has had good economic growth and job creation which has happened under Republican leadership if that was not the case Democrats could get elected. Unlike a lot of the nation we understand the concept of if it's not broke don't fix it nor do we embrace change just for the sake of change as the rest of the country has discovered just because you are promised change does not mean it will be change for the better. When a party's policies work for the people they tend to stay in power when they don't they find themselves in danger of losing the Senate.

If the DEMS didn't have 3-4 retirees, the GOP would not be getting the Senate next week. Rockefeller would not be losing West VA and Harkin would not be losing in Iowa.

So if/when the DEMS take the US Senate back in 2016, that will be because the GOP policies are failures?
Still making the excuses I see as far as GOP policies and the Senate go in 2016 that will depend on how much of their legislation makes it to the Presidents desk and what he does with it. If he signs it into law and it does not work that will be GOP policy failures however the other possibility and more likely one is he will veto them in that case it would be rather silly to call something that was never put into effect a success or failure.
He'll veto everything that comes across his desk, then legislate what he wants from the Oval Office (or golf course) He's pushing for a Constitutional crisis and hoping his dictatorial violations will be accepted and set a precedent for future lawlessness by Democrats.

One of the reasons for the decline in Obama's poll numbers is that he's not been able to pick a fight with the GOP opponents. This is because the GOP realized the election was shaping up okay for them and they went into "let's don't remind them of how crazy we are" mode. So that is why we've seen such a boring election season by and large.

Once he starts vetoing GOP bills to defund the government, up go his popularity rankings. I sort of hope the GOP actually does re-take the Senate if, for no other reason than that.

You hope nothing of the sort.

Not looking good for Wendy Davis.

KILLEEN, Texas (AP) — It's a sunny afternoon just before the election and Wendy Davis isn't addressing an arena packed with adoring supporters, speaking on national television or working a hotel ballroom of top donors.
Instead, the Democratic candidate for Texas governor is in a soldier's backyard in an especially conservative corner of the state that she has no hope of carrying, addressing 30 campaign volunteers as they slap at stinging fire ants.
Davis' campaign, which began with sky-high hopes among Democrats nationwide, is nearing the finish line facing seemingly insurmountable odds. The state senator dares critics to count her out, but her well-funded and popular Republican opponent, state Attorney General Greg Abbott, looks so unstoppable that the question now looming over the race is whether defeat will reduce her to a spent political force.
"Not everybody's going to win the first time. She'll be back," said Alfred Nairn, a retiree at the backyard event in Killeen, a town of fast-food joints and billboards emblazoned with religious slogans. The community of almost 140,000 is anchored by Fort Hood, one of the largest U.S. military posts in the world.
Davis, 51, built a national brand and showed more sizzle than most unsuccessful candidates. So even a sizeable loss could leave her with more appeal than any southern Democrat in recent memory. But her challenge will be retaining enough notoriety to capitalize on her state's booming Hispanic population, which holds the potential to help Democrats eventually end a 20-year, longest-in-the-nation losing streak in statewide elections.
Win or lose, Texas Democrats insist, Davis will remain atop the party alongside rising state stars such as Julian Castro, who stepped down as San Antonio mayor to become the nation's housing secretary and has been mentioned as a possible vice presidential nominee in 2016.
Since Davis is giving up her Fort Worth-based Senate seat, she could take her national profile to a political think tank or a job as a television pundit.
"She does well on TV. That's a pretty well-tried path for people like her," said Matt Bennett, former aide to President Bill Clinton and Al Gore and co-founder of the moderate Democratic group Third Way. "That is a path she might be happier on anyway. She of all people knows how tough it is to win in Texas."
But Cathy Bonner, who was a close confidant to Texas' last Democratic governor, Ann Richards, said Davis isn't "as jaded as a pundit."
"She's very sophisticated in politics and elections," said Bonner, also a Davis donor. "I don't think she would ever be that."
Since Richards' day, most Democratic gubernatorial candidates have disappeared from the political landscape after defeat. That includes Gary Mauro, who was beaten by then-Gov. George W. Bush in 1998. Mauro said the state party would applaud any future political moves Davis makes, including possibly challenging tea party-backed U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz in 2020.
"I would hope that she do that rather than take the pundit route," he said. "I think most Texans feel the same."

New question in Texas Can Davis survive defeat - Yahoo News
That question cannot be answered without seeing her tits.

Yes. Mine are 2.65%. So what? I was paying 1.9% in Cali! Big deal. The difference is that the same house I have in Texas is about 220k less in price than California. AND, I don't get raped by the state liberals for 11% of my income tax. So, all in all, it's a positive sum gain for me (and anyone else who chooses to move here). Another great benefit for the family... My kids actually aren't overloaded with 30 foreign speaking kids in their class. You know how much that slows the learning process for English speaking kids?

Actually the Mexican food is wonderful; aside from that, if I were going to give the world an enema, I would stick the nozzle in Texas.

Tex-Mex, in NO WAY, is mexican food. Baja style all day, Ms. Corn! I do miss that baja-style mexican food.

Ah yes, the old chestnut: Obama isnt more popular because he hasnt been radical enough.
Yeah, that's not true either. He is President Fail, a total clusterfuck of policy.

Of course I (nor anyone else) has said that. He's dipped in popularity since he hasn't had someone to spar with lately since you guys have been doing your best to come off as not-so-crazy. Congratulations..it probably will work.

Once Obama starts sending bills back with a big red stamp on them...his popularity will soar with his base. The moderate and independents naturally like winners and since none of the vetoes will be overridden...look for him to be back over 50% by the Summer.
Yeah, that's the ticket. He's dropped in popularity because Putin, the Iranians, the Chinese, and the Israelis are all falling all over themselves to pay homage.
LOL!
You should consider tranquilizers for tomorrow night, toots.

Yes. Mine are 2.65%. So what? I was paying 1.9% in Cali! Big deal. The difference is that the same house I have in Texas is about 220k less in price than California. AND, I don't get raped by the state liberals for 11% of my income tax. So, all in all, it's a positive sum gain for me (and anyone else who chooses to move here). Another great benefit for the family... My kids actually aren't overloaded with 30 foreign speaking kids in their class. You know how much that slows the learning process for English speaking kids?

Tex-Mex, in NO WAY, is mexican food. Baja style all day, Ms. Corn! I do miss that baja-style mexican food.

Watching some of the real estate shows, I have been stunned what $200k will get you in at least some parts of Texas. Fucking mansions.

You hope nothing of the sort.

Actually, short of the Dems keeping the Senate, the best thing that can happen going into 2016 is to have Obama thwart the GOP agenda of austerity and misery.

Yeah, that's the ticket. He's dropped in popularity because Putin, the Iranians, the Chinese, and the Israelis are all falling all over themselves to pay homage.
LOL!
You should consider tranquilizers for tomorrow night, toots.

I predicted the supposed outcome 2 years ago. I won't be surprised...as you were when your boy got beaten badly by your President Obama 332-206.

Hey stupid fuck?

I think I said that.

Do you have poor reading comprehension skills in addition to all your other character flaws.

Hey stupid fuck?

I think I said that.

Do you have poor reading comprehension skills in addition to all your other character flaws.

"I don't think Gerrymandering will have anything to do with Davis' loss."

Clearly you weren't sure, sorry moron.

Watching some of the real estate shows, I have been stunned what $200k will get you in at least some parts of Texas. Fucking mansions.

Yeah, but the downside is you still have to live in Texas.

Yeah, that whole freedom from overreaching local and state government thing can really be a pain in the ass, can't it? Speaking of paradise, how many murders happened in Chicago over the weekend? And, will those corpses be available to vote today?

Yeah, that whole freedom from overreaching local and state government thing can really be a pain in the ass, can't it? Speaking of paradise, how many murders happened in Chicago over the weekend? And, will those corpses be available to vote today?

Texas has a higher murder rate than Illinois does, Cleetus.

But keep breathing your dirty air and thinking you live in paradise, Billy-bob.

Forum List

Back