New Pedestrian Bridge Collapses in Miami

I think it's worth looking into. We'll probably see more stuff like this in the future as merit based hiring goes the way of the dodo in order to promote "diversity".

Maybe it's simply going for the cheapest bid without regards to quality...hmmm?

I read that it cost 14 million dollars. That's not cheap. This little social experiment the left is playing is going to result in disaster after disaster. How long will we have to put up with it til people get tired of failure? I know it's a bitter pill to swallow, but having a vagina does not make a better engineer.

I'll just get it out of the way and call myself a dirty misogynist for even thinking that so called "diversity hiring" (aka hiring unqualified people because of race and gender) might have played a role.

A Female-Led Construction Company Built The Florida Bridge That Collapsed
I hope they have one hell of an indemnity policy.

They fucked up.
I wouldn't even want to be the guy who vacuums their office...that's how fucked they are.

I'll just get it out of the way and call myself a dirty misogynist for even thinking that so called "diversity hiring" (aka hiring unqualified people because of race and gender) might have played a role.

upload_2018-3-16_19-28-38.jpeg

Did social justice warriors cause the Miami bridge collapse?

Yes they did because they are all fat and they all went and stood on that bridge and it collapsed, here is a picture of the Fat SJWs all standing on that bridge pre-collapse, I feel sorry for that poor dog, animal cruelty to allow Fat SJWs to own animals.

wp-1475092225914.jpg

/----/ Breaking:
FDOT warned about FIU bridge cracking 2 days before fatal collapse - but didn't hear voicemail
The Florida Department of Transportation announced the agency was warned about cracking in the Florida International University pedestrian bridge, two days before it collapsed, killing at least six people, but they didn't listen to the voicemail until Friday.
FDOT warned about FIU bridge cracking 2 days before fatal collapse - but didn't hear voicemail until Friday, March 16th.

"Hey Tom, this is Denney Pate with FIGG bridge engineers. Calling to, uh, share with you some information about the FIU pedestrian bridge and some cracking that's been observed on the north end of the span, the pylon end of that span we moved this weekend. Um, so, uh, we've taken a look at it and, uh, obviously some repairs or whatever will have to be done but from a safety perspective we don't see that there's any issue there so we're not concerned about it from that perspective although obviously the cracking is not good and something's going to have to be, ya know, done to repair that. At any rate, I wanted to chat with you about that because I suspect at some point that's gonna get to your desk. So, uh, at any rate, call me back when you can. Thank you. Bye."

Sadly, they are saying it may take dna to identify due to the injuries sustained

Yea, cracks in a brand new bridge should indicate there may be a problem that needs serious lookin' into...
shocked.gif

Miami bridge: Meeting over crack held hours before collapse

17 Mar.`18 - Florida officials were told "there were no safety concerns" about a crack in a Miami university bridge, hours before it collapsed killing six people.
Florida International University said a meeting on Thursday morning involved the engineering and construction companies, as well as Florida's transport department. An engineer told officials it "did not compromise the structural integrity". The bridge fell on eight vehicles about three hours later. In a statement, the university said the "engineer of record" from the contractor FIGG gave a technical presentation regarding the crack, in a meeting which lasted about two hours. It comes after it emerged that Denney Pate, the lead bridge engineer, had warned of a crack in the structure two days earlier in a voicemail left with the state's department of transport. He also said he believed there was no concern "from a safety perspective".

_100453488_mediaitem100451775.jpg

Police say the operation has shifted from rescue to recovery.​

Department employees said on Friday they did not hear the message until after the bridge fell. But there was no mention of the meeting held on the morning of the collapse. The US National Transportation Safety Board is investigating, and has not yet determined the cause of the collapse. "A crack in the bridge does not necessarily mean it's unsafe," Robert Accetta, an NTSB investigator, told the Miami Herald. The number of victims is thought likely to rise as workers clear the rubble from the 862-tonne structure, which was erected days before as a walkway for university students. On Saturday, police said the bodies of three of the victims had been recovered from two cars and taken away for identification. One other person died earlier in hospital, and several vehicles remain under the destroyed bridge.

'Obviously the cracking is not good'

Mr Pate attempted to call an employee on a landline at the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) on Tuesday. However, the employee was away on assignment and did not hear the message until Friday. The department has released a transcript of the message in which Mr Pate speaks of cracking at the north end of the bridge, saying "obviously some repairs or whatever will have to be done". However, he said "from a safety perspective we don't see that there's any issue... although obviously the cracking is not good".

_100445492_florida_bridge_collapse_v02_640map-nc.png

Florida Senator Marco Rubio tweeted that workers had been tightening cables supporting the bridge at the time it collapsed. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigator Robert Accetta said cracks in the structure did "not necessarily mean that it is unsafe". The bridge was put up last Saturday in just six hours, and the university hailed the "first of its kind" bridge online. FIGG Engineering was behind the bridge project, along with Munilla Construction company (MCM), a family-owned contractor. Both firms said they would co-operate with investigators.

Florida officials knew about bridge crack

Last edited:
I am calling for the arrest of President of Florida International University Mark B. Rosenberg on a charge of involuntary manslaughter but in addition, I am calling for those with more direct responsibility for the design and the planning approval of this "first of a kind" bridge to face the same charge.
This FIU news web-page identifies the main culprits and it is worth quoting in full in case the page is deleted by the university authorities at a later date to destroy evidence so as to pervert the course of justice. Every person named in bold here (apart from the reporter) I suspect and accuse of the charge of "involuntary manslaughter".

FIU NEWS - First-of-its-kind pedestrian bridge “swings” into place
Posted by Jennifer Lacayo × 03/10/2018 at 11:38 am

IMG_4387-570x428.jpg

Construction marvel to connect FIU to Sweetwater

On March 10, the main span of the FIU-Sweetwater UniversityCity Bridge was lifted from its temporary supports, rotated 90 degrees across an eight-lane thoroughfare, and lowered into its permanent position.

“FIU is about building bridges and student safety. This project accomplishes our mission beautifully,” said FIU President Mark B. Rosenberg. “We are filled with pride and satisfaction at seeing this engineering feat come to life and connect our campus to the surrounding community where thousands of our students live.”

The 174-foot, 950-ton section of the bridge was built adjacent to Southwest Eight Street using Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) methods, which are being advanced at FIU’s Accelerated Bridge Construction University Transportation Center (ABC-UTC). This method of construction reduces potential risks to workers, commuters and pedestrians and minimizes traffic interruptions. The main span of the FIU-Sweetwater UniversityCity Bridge was installed in a few hours with limited disruption to traffic over this weekend.

“This project is an outstanding example of the ABC method,” said chair of FIU’s Civil & Environmental Engineering Department and director of FIU’s ABC-UTC Atorod Azizinamini, who is one of the world’s leading experts on Accelerated Bridge Construction. “Building the major element of the bridge – its main span superstructure – outside of the traveled way and away from busy Eighth Street is a milestone.”

The FIU-Sweetwater UniversityCity Bridge is the largest pedestrian bridge moved via Self-Propelled Modular Transportation in U.S. history. It is also the first in the world to be constructed entirely of self-cleaning concrete. When exposed to sunlight, the titanium dioxide in the concrete captures pollutants and turns it bright white, reducing maintenance costs.

“FIU has come a long way since the TIGER grant that funded this pedestrian bridge was awarded in 2013. This project represents a true collaboration among so many different partners at local, state, and federal levels, and in both the public and private sectors,” said Mario Diaz-Balart, U.S. Representative and Chairman of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development. “The university’s growth and acceleration is no longer just about the campus and its student body; it’s about the future of Sweetwater, Miami-Dade County and the entire South Florida region. I believe this is what creative solutions to transportation challenges look like, and I will continue to support and incentivize these new ideas.”

IMG_4393-570x325.jpg

Funding for the $14.2 million bridge, connecting plazas and walkways is part of a $19.4 million Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation. Other funding agencies include the Federal Highway Administration, Florida Department of Transportation Local Agency Program, FIU and the City of Sweetwater.

“The FIU-Sweetwater bridge will serve many purposes including being a visually distinctive gateway to our city,” said City of Sweetwater Mayor Orlando Lopez. “This bridge is symbolic of the growth our city is experiencing and our partnership with FIU.”

Construction of the bridge began in the spring of 2017 and is expected to be completed in early 2019. When it is finished, the bridge will be 289 feet long and 109 feet tall. The 32-foot-wide bridge will also serve as study and gathering space.

“This bridge is the result of great support from our congressional delegation and the U.S. Department of Transportation,” said FIU Senior Vice President and CFO Kenneth Jessell. “This bridge has already been the catalyst for significant economic development in the City of Sweetwater. FIU and our surrounding community will benefit from this project for generations to come.”

The bridge was designed by FIGG Bridge Engineers and built by MCM. Barnhart Crane and Rigging operated the Self-Propelled Modular Transporters that placed the bridge on its permanent supports.
Celebrated leading visionary bridge engineer Atorod Azizinamini, whose ABC (Accelerated Bridge Construction) technology was used to build the bridge that collapsed yesterday on Florida International University’s campus, was named an Obama era Department of Transportation ‘Champion of Change’ in 2015.

The event in which Azizinamini was awarded ‘Champion of Change’ status was webcast live at whitehouse.gov/live, no longer online.

Much will be made in coming days that FIGG Bridge Group designed the bridge and that it was constructed by MCM Construction, in the aftermath of the bridge’s collapse.

But it was Azizinamini bridge technology all the way: http://bwcentral.org/2018/03/father...-bridge-was-obama-champion-of-change-in-2015/

I am calling for the arrest of President of Florida International University Mark B. Rosenberg on a charge of involuntary manslaughter but in addition, I am calling for those with more direct responsibility for the design and the planning approval of this "first of a kind" bridge to face the same charge.
This FIU news web-page identifies the main culprits and it is worth quoting in full in case the page is deleted by the university authorities at a later date to destroy evidence so as to pervert the course of justice. Every person named in bold here (apart from the reporter) I suspect and accuse of the charge of "involuntary manslaughter".

IMG_4387-570x428.jpg

On March 10, the main span of the FIU-Sweetwater UniversityCity Bridge was lifted from its temporary supports, rotated 90 degrees across an eight-lane thoroughfare, and lowered into its permanent position.

“FIU is about building bridges and student safety. This project accomplishes our mission beautifully,” said FIU President Mark B. Rosenberg. “We are filled with pride and satisfaction at seeing this engineering feat come to life and connect our campus to the surrounding community where thousands of our students live.”

The 174-foot, 950-ton section of the bridge was built adjacent to Southwest Eight Street using Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) methods, which are being advanced at FIU’s Accelerated Bridge Construction University Transportation Center (ABC-UTC). This method of construction reduces potential risks to workers, commuters and pedestrians and minimizes traffic interruptions. The main span of the FIU-Sweetwater UniversityCity Bridge was installed in a few hours with limited disruption to traffic over this weekend.

“This project is an outstanding example of the ABC method,” said chair of FIU’s Civil & Environmental Engineering Department and director of FIU’s ABC-UTC Atorod Azizinamini, who is one of the world’s leading experts on Accelerated Bridge Construction. “Building the major element of the bridge – its main span superstructure – outside of the traveled way and away from busy Eighth Street is a milestone.”

The FIU-Sweetwater UniversityCity Bridge is the largest pedestrian bridge moved via Self-Propelled Modular Transportation in U.S. history. It is also the first in the world to be constructed entirely of self-cleaning concrete. When exposed to sunlight, the titanium dioxide in the concrete captures pollutants and turns it bright white, reducing maintenance costs.

“FIU has come a long way since the TIGER grant that funded this pedestrian bridge was awarded in 2013. This project represents a true collaboration among so many different partners at local, state, and federal levels, and in both the public and private sectors,” said Mario Diaz-Balart, U.S. Representative and Chairman of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development. “The university’s growth and acceleration is no longer just about the campus and its student body; it’s about the future of Sweetwater, Miami-Dade County and the entire South Florida region. I believe this is what creative solutions to transportation challenges look like, and I will continue to support and incentivize these new ideas.”

IMG_4393-570x325.jpg

Funding for the $14.2 million bridge, connecting plazas and walkways is part of a $19.4 million Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation. Other funding agencies include the Federal Highway Administration, Florida Department of Transportation Local Agency Program, FIU and the City of Sweetwater.

“The FIU-Sweetwater bridge will serve many purposes including being a visually distinctive gateway to our city,” said City of Sweetwater Mayor Orlando Lopez. “This bridge is symbolic of the growth our city is experiencing and our partnership with FIU.”

Construction of the bridge began in the spring of 2017 and is expected to be completed in early 2019. When it is finished, the bridge will be 289 feet long and 109 feet tall. The 32-foot-wide bridge will also serve as study and gathering space.

“This bridge is the result of great support from our congressional delegation and the U.S. Department of Transportation,” said FIU Senior Vice President and CFO Kenneth Jessell. “This bridge has already been the catalyst for significant economic development in the City of Sweetwater. FIU and our surrounding community will benefit from this project for generations to come.”

The bridge was designed by FIGG Bridge Engineers and built by MCM. Barnhart Crane and Rigging operated the Self-Propelled Modular Transporters that placed the bridge on its permanent supports.
Celebrated leading visionary bridge engineer Atorod Azizinamini, whose ABC (Accelerated Bridge Construction) technology was used to build the bridge that collapsed yesterday on Florida International University’s campus, was named an Obama era Department of Transportation ‘Champion of Change’ in 2015.

The event in which Azizinamini was awarded ‘Champion of Change’ status was webcast live at whitehouse.gov/live, no longer online.

Much will be made in coming days that FIGG Bridge Group designed the bridge and that it was constructed by MCM Construction, in the aftermath of the bridge’s collapse.

But it was Azizinamini bridge technology all the way: Father of Collapsed Florida Bridge was Obama ‘Champion of Change’ in 2015 — BWCentral
Looking at the company's website they put up the new I35 bridge in Mpls after the collapse and also did the Wabasha bridge in St. Paul.
Hope they hold, as I drive them often.
They do have a lot of projects throughout the country.

IMG_4387-570x428.jpg

IMG_4393-570x325.jpg

But it was Azizinamini bridge technology all the way: Father of Collapsed Florida Bridge was Obama ‘Champion of Change’ in 2015 — BWCentral
Looking at the company's website they put up the new I35 bridge in Mpls after the collapse and also did the Wabasha bridge in St. Paul.
Hope they hold, as I drive them often.
They do have a lot of projects throughout the country.
Saw that...rarely in either city and my territory for my job is western burbs.

Miami-Dade police have identified the three bodies recovered from the rubble as Rolando Fraga Hernandez, 57-year-old Oswald Gonzalez, 53-year-old and Alberto Arias. Fraga Hernandez was in one vehicle, Gonzalez and Arias were in the other.

Police have also identified a fourth victim as Navarro Brown.
Names Released Of FIU Bridge Collapse Victims

Miami-Dade deputy mayor Maurice Kemp said at a press conference that their primary goal is to remove the victims and the trapped vehicles. He said in last Thursday’s collapse there were eight vehicles trapped. Two sustained heavy damage to either their front or rear. Six of the vehicles he described as being “significantly entangled” and four of those would be difficult to extract.

CBS Miami link above

They just left with the third vehicle.
Rip, closure for another family.

Personally, I'll wait until the investigation is complete before placing any blame. Yeah, I know, that's a really wacky idea but hey, I'm a wild and crazy guy.

Forum List

Back