New Orleans, Katrina, illegal house to house gun confiscation

I would have preferred that they had brought boats with them.

Circumstances such as Katrina the National Guard are 'ground pounders'... The fine folks known as the Cajun Navy - Wikipedia brought boats to you...

Deployments[edit]
Hurricane Katrina (2005)[edit]
Former Louisiana state senator Nick Gautreaux put out a plea across local television and radio for "Anybody [who] wants to go help the people of New Orleans please come to the Acadiana Mall." Between 350 and 400 boats and people showed up. This makeshift flotilla that became known as the Cajun Navy is credited with rescuing more than 10,000 people from flooded homes and rooftops.[6]
-------------------------------------- and all done at there own expense I reckon both in time and money .

...and it took a week or two!

I was not in NOLA during or after Katrina... I was 10 miles N. of I-10 on Highway 49 N. of Gulfport... I wouldn't even begin to imagine I know what it was like to be in the 5th or 9th ward in the city... That being said I had my own problems to resolve...
Before the storm and be honest was there not Hurricane party's in NOLA? Bars and business's capitalizing on what was a party atmosphere... Drinking, drugging? It was on TV so it can't be denied...
I am a firm believer in the Government giving a helping hand to folks when SHTF... But these folks were given 5 days warning... Hell the City and State government was overwhelmed with stuffing money in there pockets...

Sorry the Cajun Navy was not quick enough for you... Did you go play Mad Max in the Superdome?

...and it took a week or two!

I was not in NOLA during or after Katrina... I was 10 miles N. of I-10 on Highway 49 N. of Gulfport... I wouldn't even begin to imagine I know what it was like to be in the 5th or 9th ward in the city... That being said I had my own problems to resolve...
Before the storm and be honest was there not Hurricane party's in NOLA? Bars and business's capitalizing on what was a party atmosphere... Drinking, drugging? It was on TV so it can't be denied...
I am a firm believer in the Government giving a helping hand to folks when SHTF... But these folks were given 5 days warning... Hell the City and State government was overwhelmed with stuffing money in there pockets...

Sorry the Cajun Navy was not quick enough for you... Did you go play Mad Max in the Superdome?

When we went to bed the night before, it was a cat 3 storm headed to the East of N.O. The levies were supposed to hold at cat 3. We were awakened the next morning at 6 AM by my son-in-law. It was now a cat 5, headed directly up the river. The worst possible scenario. We loaded the car, and got in line to fill the tank. that took an hour. We got on 10, headed east, and drove for 15 hours until we got to a room that my son-in-law had reserved in Florida. By then, it was back down to a cat 3, but the levies failed anyway. They were poorly built, under standards set for the Army Corp of Engineers. We found a friend who would take us in in Missouri, where we stayed for over 3 weeks, because the NG was turning back all traffic. We celebrated getting the house rebuilt 7 months later. The next day, our FEMA trailer arrived..

While my circumstances were a lot less serious than yours, I loaded up my invalid father in my truck on Wen. the 31st and headed North back to Indiana... And was thankful to have someplace to go... After putting my father in a nursing home in Indiana I returned to Saucier the first week of Oct... Cleaned and repaired what I could to my father's property and was very fortunate to sell it very quickly... Took about 10 days to get everything squared away... Headed back to Indiana after scratching 'riding out hurricane' off my bucket list...

Here I am riding out my 3rd hurricane season in Hawaii... :bang3::banghead:

Forum List

Back