Never hire this guy to work on your house

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
1701451549782.png

Only issue we have had so far (knocks on wood) is a stupid cheap Mexican-made safety switch sometimes goes out and they have to replace it. It basically causes the unit to run outside 27/7 to vent any gas leaks when it goes out and prevents it from sending anything indoors. Of course the warranty covers the $18 part and not the fortune to have the person show up, then drive around town a couple hours on my dime "finding a part", and then return with the part and spend 5 minutes exchanging them.

A lot of times the AC problem is the starter capacitor or ants in the contact relay.
Those are easy cheap repairs.
But they will sell you a whole new $2000 condenser + labor.

View attachment 866574

View attachment 866575
I never had anyone try to sell me a condenser yet....over a non-working fan. Most of the guys around here can be trusted. Especially since although I'm not licensed, I worked on HVAC for the Department Of The Army for 18 years.

I've replaced condensers because the ones I had behind my apartments were old as Moses and weren't working as efficiently as they used to. Sometimes you have to replace them because there isn't a drop-in that is compatible with R-12 or R-22. A new condenser runs on R-410A that runs at higher pressures which leads to leaks, but thanks to the EPA that too is being phased out and replaced with R-435A which I haven't used. I suspect it's a conspiracy to deadline every unit in the country and take away our rights to air-conditioning. Because if they make refrigerants unavailable, or jack up the price of a can to $500/gal....you're going to price everyone, but the wealthy, out of the market.

Last edited:
What a coincidence that would be to have the same identical condenser next to the one that went bad.
Capacitors can be swapped out, but not always fan motors, coils, or compressors because they won't fit or would cause other problems if they could be put back into a working condition.

Shit...you could swap whole condensers in little or no time because all you'd have to do is recover the refrigerant, cut the linesets and disconnect the power, and then re-weld the connections, pull a vacuum, and recharge the unit.

Last edited:
Yes, one has to be very careful about whom to hire for repair work.

There are so many dishonest folks out there nowadays.

Highly ethical and honest people are quite rare in today's world.

Yes, one has to be very careful about whom to hire for repair work.

There are so many dishonest folks out there nowadays.

Highly ethical and honest people are quite rare in today's world.
One thing you have to look out for is guys that replace condensers but charge you for a reversing valve when you don't even own a Heatpump.

I had an AC repair guy try to sell me new ducts.
He said that they were wore out.
They are galvanized steel ducts.
They never wear out.

Forum List

Back