Nestle sued for $99 million

I think Nestle needs to learn that lives of dark skinned people is just as valuable as fancy Europeans.

---

The Indian government is seeking $99 million in damages from Swiss food and beverage giant Nestle over a recent food scare involving the Maggi brand of instant noodles that are a household staple in India.

The class action, filed late Tuesday before India's National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission, accuses Nestle of "gross negligence, apathy and callousness."

The government had ordered the popular snack cleared from the country's shelves in June, after India's food and safety regulators said they found unacceptable levels of lead in some samples, as well as the presence of monosodium glutamate, despite a label that said "No MSG."

In response, Nestle pulled nearly 400 million packets of its No. 1-selling brand from Indian stores.

A unit within India's Ministry of Consumer Affairs filed a complaint under the Consumer Protection Act, alleging that Nestle has engaged in "unfair trade practices" and sold "defective goods" to the public.

Dismissing the allegations, Nestle Chairman Peter Brabeck told the Swiss newspaper Handleszeitung that Indian authorities forced Nestle to burn 29,000 tons worth of "quality" food in the instant noodle soup dispute. He's quoted as saying, "Laboratories in the United States, Britain, Australia and Singapore did not find anything harmful in the noodles. Our products are safe for consumers." Brabeck added, "Nevertheless, the case in India is not harmless and should not be underestimated."

The food safety scare that has been a commercial disaster for Nestle has also exposed issues with India's food safety regulatory system.

An editorial on the site foodnavigator.com stated, "[In] a country where food standards regulations are often ignored with tragic consequences, will the authorities continue to pursue local corporate transgressors through the already overworked court system? This is unlikely."

Nestle says its own tests did not detect toxic metal and it is fighting Indian regulators in court, challenging the accuracy of India's food testing and demanding retesting.

Nestle's shares, meanwhile, slumped 2 percent the day after news of the Indian government's class action.

India Seeking 99 Million From Nestle Over Noodle Soup Scare The Two-Way NPR

How many people actually got sick or died from this?

I suspect that withdrawing a cheap source of food in a poor country will harm far more people than whatever is causing the government to extort money from Nestle.

"Poor" people become more poor when they are sick. Lead when exceeding the acceptable limit causes illness and death. Besides, even the "rich" people like to eat Maggi. So, what is your justification for making "rich" people sick?

:)

IOW, you are overreacting to accusations and innuendo and have no factual evidence that the products harmed anyone.

I'll chalk this one up to your complete ignorance of Bastiat's "That Which is Seen, and That Which is Not Seen". In the frenzy to keep a hypothetical person from getting hypothetically sick, you are willing to deny millions of people an affordable food choice.

Here's some homework; learn something:

That Which is Seen and That Which is Not Seen by Frederic Bastiat

Hold on there Bodie. Nestle DOES have a responsibility to watch for lead contamination-------wherever its products are made------the "cure" for this lead issue will cost money----and----at least part of it lands on Nestle head.----the best outcome would be some settlement to defer costs of FIXUP-----lead level tests-----a bit of treatment---If I remember correctly, sometimes elevated lead levels in children can be ameliorated with some IRON supplementation-----I doubt that anyone is suffering FULL BLOWN lead intoxication (encephalopathy and peripheral nerve damage etc etc ) from noodle overdose. NOODLES WILL RETURN to india----hopefully no loss to "commerce" and jobs and------yumminess. Now go check your water------lots of US water has too much lead because of-----in house old lead lined pipes. I believe some public health places have lead
testing kits for home use. ------check your walls for lead paint

I said NOTHING to the effect that Nestle doesn't have a responsibility to provide a safe product. They are disputing the results of the tests as their own show different results.

Again: who has been harmed? If nobody has, then this looks like a government shakedown.

I think Nestle needs to learn that lives of dark skinned people is just as valuable as fancy Europeans.

---

The Indian government is seeking $99 million in damages from Swiss food and beverage giant Nestle over a recent food scare involving the Maggi brand of instant noodles that are a household staple in India.

The class action, filed late Tuesday before India's National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission, accuses Nestle of "gross negligence, apathy and callousness."

The government had ordered the popular snack cleared from the country's shelves in June, after India's food and safety regulators said they found unacceptable levels of lead in some samples, as well as the presence of monosodium glutamate, despite a label that said "No MSG."

In response, Nestle pulled nearly 400 million packets of its No. 1-selling brand from Indian stores.

A unit within India's Ministry of Consumer Affairs filed a complaint under the Consumer Protection Act, alleging that Nestle has engaged in "unfair trade practices" and sold "defective goods" to the public.

Dismissing the allegations, Nestle Chairman Peter Brabeck told the Swiss newspaper Handleszeitung that Indian authorities forced Nestle to burn 29,000 tons worth of "quality" food in the instant noodle soup dispute. He's quoted as saying, "Laboratories in the United States, Britain, Australia and Singapore did not find anything harmful in the noodles. Our products are safe for consumers." Brabeck added, "Nevertheless, the case in India is not harmless and should not be underestimated."

The food safety scare that has been a commercial disaster for Nestle has also exposed issues with India's food safety regulatory system.

An editorial on the site foodnavigator.com stated, "[In] a country where food standards regulations are often ignored with tragic consequences, will the authorities continue to pursue local corporate transgressors through the already overworked court system? This is unlikely."

Nestle says its own tests did not detect toxic metal and it is fighting Indian regulators in court, challenging the accuracy of India's food testing and demanding retesting.

Nestle's shares, meanwhile, slumped 2 percent the day after news of the Indian government's class action.

I suspect that withdrawing a cheap source of food in a poor country will harm far more people than whatever is causing the government to extort money from Nestle.

"Poor" people become more poor when they are sick. Lead when exceeding the acceptable limit causes illness and death. Besides, even the "rich" people like to eat Maggi. So, what is your justification for making "rich" people sick?

IOW, you are overreacting to accusations and innuendo and have no factual evidence that the products harmed anyone.

I'll chalk this one up to your complete ignorance of Bastiat's "That Which is Seen, and That Which is Not Seen". In the frenzy to keep a hypothetical person from getting hypothetically sick, you are willing to deny millions of people an affordable food choice.

Hold on there Bodie. Nestle DOES have a responsibility to watch for lead contamination-------wherever its products are made------the "cure" for this lead issue will cost money----and----at least part of it lands on Nestle head.----the best outcome would be some settlement to defer costs of FIXUP-----lead level tests-----a bit of treatment---If I remember correctly, sometimes elevated lead levels in children can be ameliorated with some IRON supplementation-----I doubt that anyone is suffering FULL BLOWN lead intoxication (encephalopathy and peripheral nerve damage etc etc ) from noodle overdose. NOODLES WILL RETURN to india----hopefully no loss to "commerce" and jobs and------yumminess. Now go check your water------lots of US water has too much lead because of-----in house old lead lined pipes. I believe some public health places have lead

I said NOTHING to the effect that Nestle doesn't have a responsibility to provide a safe product. They are disputing the results of the tests as their own show different results.

Again: who has been harmed? If nobody has, then this looks like a government shakedown.

more bad news----I have been (very) peripherally involved in the public health issue of lead contamination in the USA----for many decades------law suits in the USA have abounded for many decades----the standard is "any elevation of lead level CAN CAUSE HARM---and is cause for action. ----it is a matter to be addressed-----but Indian moms should not get too hysterical over it-----the kids will be ok
with a bit of attention to the problem. Nestle will have to FORK OVER SOME CASH------business is business

more bad news----I have been (very) peripherally involved in the public health issue of lead contamination in the USA----for many decades------law suits in the USA have abounded for many decades----the standard is "any elevation of lead level CAN CAUSE HARM---and is cause for action. ----it is a matter to be addressed-----but Indian moms should not get too hysterical over it-----the kids will be ok
with a bit of attention to the problem. Nestle will have to FORK OVER SOME CASH------business is business

IOW, you buy into the Gansta Government agenda.

Nope----my little role is very very peripheral----I don't do it----
I observe it-------as in-----"neurological exam is within normal limits"
IOW, you buy into the Gansta Government agenda.

---

When FDA finds problems with particular food or drug, it pulls them off shelf right away. The company responsible for the problem gets cited right away. FDA does not wait till people start dying.

It is insane for you to suggest that Indian government should allow foreign (or domestic) companies to poison kids with lead.

---

When FDA finds problems with particular food or drug, it pulls them off shelf right away. The company responsible for the problem gets cited right away. FDA does not wait till people start dying.

It is insane for you to suggest that Indian government should allow foreign (or domestic) companies to poison kids with lead.

I'm not gullible enough to believe in the infallibility and nobility of Government Bureaucrats, bub.

---

testings on the maggi showed it was within permitted levels

---

testings on the maggi showed it was within permitted levels

That will be decided by appropriate government institutions.

Forum List

Back