Nestle sued for $99 million

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
I think Nestle needs to learn that lives of dark skinned people is just as valuable as fancy Europeans.

---

The Indian government is seeking $99 million in damages from Swiss food and beverage giant Nestle over a recent food scare involving the Maggi brand of instant noodles that are a household staple in India.

The class action, filed late Tuesday before India's National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission, accuses Nestle of "gross negligence, apathy and callousness."

The government had ordered the popular snack cleared from the country's shelves in June, after India's food and safety regulators said they found unacceptable levels of lead in some samples, as well as the presence of monosodium glutamate, despite a label that said "No MSG."

In response, Nestle pulled nearly 400 million packets of its No. 1-selling brand from Indian stores.

A unit within India's Ministry of Consumer Affairs filed a complaint under the Consumer Protection Act, alleging that Nestle has engaged in "unfair trade practices" and sold "defective goods" to the public.

Dismissing the allegations, Nestle Chairman Peter Brabeck told the Swiss newspaper Handleszeitung that Indian authorities forced Nestle to burn 29,000 tons worth of "quality" food in the instant noodle soup dispute. He's quoted as saying, "Laboratories in the United States, Britain, Australia and Singapore did not find anything harmful in the noodles. Our products are safe for consumers." Brabeck added, "Nevertheless, the case in India is not harmless and should not be underestimated."

The food safety scare that has been a commercial disaster for Nestle has also exposed issues with India's food safety regulatory system.

An editorial on the site foodnavigator.com stated, "[In] a country where food standards regulations are often ignored with tragic consequences, will the authorities continue to pursue local corporate transgressors through the already overworked court system? This is unlikely."

Nestle says its own tests did not detect toxic metal and it is fighting Indian regulators in court, challenging the accuracy of India's food testing and demanding retesting.

Nestle's shares, meanwhile, slumped 2 percent the day after news of the Indian government's class action.

India Seeking 99 Million From Nestle Over Noodle Soup Scare The Two-Way NPR

I think Nestle needs to learn that lives of dark skinned people is just as valuable as fancy Europeans.

---

The Indian government is seeking $99 million in damages from Swiss food and beverage giant Nestle over a recent food scare involving the Maggi brand of instant noodles that are a household staple in India.

The class action, filed late Tuesday before India's National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission, accuses Nestle of "gross negligence, apathy and callousness."

The government had ordered the popular snack cleared from the country's shelves in June, after India's food and safety regulators said they found unacceptable levels of lead in some samples, as well as the presence of monosodium glutamate, despite a label that said "No MSG."

In response, Nestle pulled nearly 400 million packets of its No. 1-selling brand from Indian stores.

A unit within India's Ministry of Consumer Affairs filed a complaint under the Consumer Protection Act, alleging that Nestle has engaged in "unfair trade practices" and sold "defective goods" to the public.

Dismissing the allegations, Nestle Chairman Peter Brabeck told the Swiss newspaper Handleszeitung that Indian authorities forced Nestle to burn 29,000 tons worth of "quality" food in the instant noodle soup dispute. He's quoted as saying, "Laboratories in the United States, Britain, Australia and Singapore did not find anything harmful in the noodles. Our products are safe for consumers." Brabeck added, "Nevertheless, the case in India is not harmless and should not be underestimated."

The food safety scare that has been a commercial disaster for Nestle has also exposed issues with India's food safety regulatory system.

An editorial on the site foodnavigator.com stated, "[In] a country where food standards regulations are often ignored with tragic consequences, will the authorities continue to pursue local corporate transgressors through the already overworked court system? This is unlikely."

Nestle says its own tests did not detect toxic metal and it is fighting Indian regulators in court, challenging the accuracy of India's food testing and demanding retesting.

Nestle's shares, meanwhile, slumped 2 percent the day after news of the Indian government's class action.

I want my maggi

!!!!!!!!!!

Your posts give an impression that you are an old man who has not gotten used to the idea of new world :)

And yours give the impression that you have never ventured beyond the street on which you "live". Maybe I'm too harsh, how about your not having traveled solo beyond the corner where the short bus stops?

But you got me on the age; nay I was not around when dirt was invented. But I watched Jesus Christ carry a picket sign for the Communistic Carpenter's Union!

Your posts give an impression that you are an old man who has not gotten used to the idea of new world :)

And yours give the impression that you have never ventured beyond the street on which you "live". Maybe I'm too harsh, how about your not having traveled solo beyond the corner where the short bus stops?

But you got me on the age; nay I was not around when dirt was invented. But I watched Jesus Christ carry a picket sign for the Communistic Carpenter's Union!

I was not trying to be harsh about your age because my observation was simply based on your posts that seem very resistant to new world order.

I myself am quite old as I am resistant to accepting new ideas of dancing especially twerking :)

Last edited:
Our air and water have some elements that are dangerous. Living is dangerous. Nothing is totally safe, so why do some expect to live in a vacuum?

Did anyone see the Animas River in Colorado that was polluted by the EPA?

We can try to minimize certain elements in food and water but we can't remove everything. Sometimes the 'bad' makes us stronger. Bacteria and 'dirt' helps boost the immune system. Remove everything and the body will respond more easily to the tiniest thing.

What happened to children eating dirt and playing in the streets?

India..........snakes and their worried about a trace if lead? India has very high levels of lead paint still being used.

Our air and water have some elements that are dangerous. Living is dangerous. Nothing is totally safe, so why do some expect to live in a vacuum?

We can try to minimize certain elements in food and water but we can't remove everything. Sometimes the 'bad' makes us stronger. Bacteria and 'dirt' helps boost the immune system. Remove everything and the body will respond more easily to the tiniest thing.

India..........snakes and their worried about a trace if lead? India has very high levels of lead paint still being used.

That exactly is the mindset which needs to be rectified at least of those who do business in India. I think this lawsuit is a sound step in that direction.

That exactly is the mindset which needs to be rectified at least of those who do business in India. I think this lawsuit is a sound step in that direction.

Start with all the other 'high' levels of lead.

Test confirm the maggi was safe.

US health regulator says lead in Maggi within acceptable levels - The Times of India
http://www.nestle.com/aboutus/ask-nestle/answers/maggi-noodles-india-lead
Maggi Controversy The Unpalatable Truth About How Lead Got Into Your Noodles

It is hard for me to believe that Nestle sold a different quality of "instant noodle"------to India than it sells elsewhere (btw---what is "instant noodle" ? is that something like those RAMEN paks we get from china in the USA?) I wonder how India's noodles got lead in them. MSG---is really not all that bad------I can understand an error

It is hard for me to believe that Nestle sold a different quality of "instant noodle"------to India than it sells elsewhere (btw---what is "instant noodle" ? is that something like those RAMEN paks we get from china in the USA?) I wonder how India's noodles got lead in them. MSG---is really not all that bad------I can understand an error

No, they manufacture in india and use indian grain and water. The contamination was already in india, everywhere in india. They wash down machines with indian water as well.

Testing done by nestle and in US and other test sites of the products showed the levels were actually within healthy levels.

---

How many people actually got sick or died from this?

I suspect that withdrawing a cheap source of food in a poor country will harm far more people than whatever is causing the government to extort money from Nestle.

No, they manufacture in india and use indian grain and water. The contamination was already in india, everywhere in india. They wash down machines with indian water as well.

Testing done by nestle and in US and other test sites of the products showed the levels were actually within healthy levels.

between you and me------don't tell anyone----lead is a POLITICAL issue even in our town. Every kid----who is from ---another country and even every kid in our "inner cities" has an "elevated lead level"
Lead came to be a lawyer's playground------for every elevated lead level there is a law suit against the landlord-----no need to prove
Lead based paint------our indian friends caught on...don't tell anyone---there is lead all over the place------even in old pots and old pipes and
in ground water and----old toys

---

I suspect that withdrawing a cheap source of food in a poor country will harm far more people than whatever is causing the government to extort money from Nestle.

"Poor" people become more poor when they are sick. Lead when exceeding the acceptable limit causes illness and death. Besides, even the "rich" people like to eat Maggi. So, what is your justification for making "rich" people sick?

:)

---

"Poor" people become more poor when they are sick. Lead when exceeding the acceptable limit causes illness and death. Besides, even the "rich" people like to eat Maggi. So, what is your justification for making "rich" people sick?

Vic ----don't panic------I wish I had more access to the current medical literature-------but I assure you------the lead levels called 'normal'-----at least in the USA----------leave LOTS OF space between ----good health and --------any serious or even significant damage----LOTS of people in the USA are walking around with increased (by the standard we use) lead levels. This issue will be ironed out-----but I doubt that it can be pinned on the nestle noodle people. You would be amazed
where lead exists ---------it is all over the DAMNED place from the water to toys to mom's make-up--------to some metal button that a kid likes to suck on. Fine glass------is "leaded"-------if such fancy stuff is used for juice------more bad news. Some people like to control weeds by pouring motor oil on them -------LOTS OF LEAD, -----a junked car left to fall apart near the eggplant garden------LOTS OF LEAD. As lifestyle gets fancy-------there is more lead around. There is an old theory that ROME fell apart (because of too much lead in the cooking pots and water ways----but they were doing lots of lead in EVERYTHING)

---

IOW, you are overreacting to accusations and innuendo and have no factual evidence that the products harmed anyone.

I'll chalk this one up to your complete ignorance of Bastiat's "That Which is Seen, and That Which is Not Seen". In the frenzy to keep a hypothetical person from getting hypothetically sick, you are willing to deny millions of people an affordable food choice.

Here's some homework; learn something:

That Which is Seen and That Which is Not Seen by Frederic Bastiat

---

IOW, you are overreacting to accusations and innuendo and have no factual evidence that the products harmed anyone.

I'll chalk this one up to your complete ignorance of Bastiat's "That Which is Seen, and That Which is Not Seen". In the frenzy to keep a hypothetical person from getting hypothetically sick, you are willing to deny millions of people an affordable food choice.

Here's some homework; learn something:

That Which is Seen and That Which is Not Seen by Frederic Bastiat

Hold on there Bodie. Nestle DOES have a responsibility to watch for lead contamination-------wherever its products are made------the "cure" for this lead issue will cost money----and----at least part of it lands on Nestle head.----the best outcome would be some settlement to defer costs of FIXUP-----lead level tests-----a bit of treatment---If I remember correctly, sometimes elevated lead levels in children can be ameliorated with some IRON supplementation-----I doubt that anyone is suffering FULL BLOWN lead intoxication (encephalopathy and peripheral nerve damage etc etc ) from noodle overdose. NOODLES WILL RETURN to india----hopefully no loss to "commerce" and jobs and------yumminess. Now go check your water------lots of US water has too much lead because of-----in house old lead lined pipes. I believe some public health places have lead
testing kits for home use. ------check your walls for lead paint

I imagine it is the actions of Indian plant operators that is the source of the contamination. They're perfectly willing to put their countrymen at risk for a little extra $$$

Forum List

Back