Need help with Cable info.

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
I am paying 190 per month for a landline, two boxes, internet, two remotes and 185 channels with xfinity. Now that dennis is gone, I cannot afford it. But don't you have to have internet to get apps on the tv? Both of mine are smart tvs, but the big one in dennis' room does not have the ability to stream certain apps. Which means I need to buy a smart tv with roku or firestick built in, don't I?

With firestick, I can get shows and whatnot to watch. On the cable, the only thing I watch is CBS for Survivor, some Bravo, Peacock, Discovery. So in essence I am paying to watch maybe 4 channels out of 185 for 190 bucks. I could drop down to 10 channels with basic cable, but I would NOT be able to get some streaming apps. And my internet would go up in price I think. And I would lose the landline.

So...can someone run down what I should do to cut these costs but still be able to entertain myself? I DO have Amazon Prime and Netflix. I would keep them. But as far as other services....not sure how to go about it, especially the internet.

I would get rid of cable get a magic jack landline and a strong internet service. You can get free tv on pluto tv, and apple tv is only 5 bucks a month.

I got rid of cable in 1997.

I've had nothing but ONE internet line since. I watch what I want, when I want, and don't have to pay for anything else.

I do pay for Paramount Plus though.....but I don't need it.

There's TONS of free stuff to watch online from THOUSANDS of sites.

The only thing you have to do though, is have REALLY good firewall security so you don't get a "bug" or "virus" on your pc. I use Norton for that. Have never had a problem.

Another way to watch movies and shows and other things.........

If you have a local library, most of them have DVD's you can borrow.
I existed on DVD's from the library for an entire year once, because I didn't like anything that was on TV or any of the movies that came out.

I am paying 190 per month for a landline, two boxes, internet, two remotes and 185 channels with xfinity. Now that dennis is gone, I cannot afford it. But don't you have to have internet to get apps on the tv? Both of mine are smart tvs, but the big one in dennis' room does not have the ability to stream certain apps. Which means I need to buy a smart tv with roku or firestick built in, don't I?

With firestick, I can get shows and whatnot to watch. On the cable, the only thing I watch is CBS for Survivor, some Bravo, Peacock, Discovery. So in essence I am paying to watch maybe 4 channels out of 185 for 190 bucks. I could drop down to 10 channels with basic cable, but I would NOT be able to get some streaming apps. And my internet would go up in price I think. And I would lose the landline.

So...can someone run down what I should do to cut these costs but still be able to entertain myself? I DO have Amazon Prime and Netflix. I would keep them. But as far as other services....not sure how to go about it, especially the internet.
You can get CBS with Amazon Fire apps and it cost nothing for a subscription. BUT, you have me on iggy so I can't help you...It's yer loss, enjoy.

Some basic internet will do, only about 50 or so a month. Then streaming apps can be added for a price, but should be way less than what you've been paying.

When Kat passed I dropped the Xfinity cable TV and kept the internet, I never watched it anyway, she did, I now pay $58 a month. If I want to watch anything I stream it on my 27" monitor. Pretty much I watch movies and my local news/weather live streamed when I want to.

Is there an internet provider you like? Go with them and you can easily cut your TV watching with slash and burn of xfinity boxes. You can get free apps that show tv, movies, local news and so on. Keep your internet and get tv and movies from it. No need for roku or firestick.

Once you cut everything and then find there are shows you must have, then you can subscribe to those apps such as Showtime or HBO Max. Yet, those same apps offer free shows, so check it out BEFOREHAND unless you find you NEED to subscribe to get what you want.

Last edited:

Also if you have Amazon Prime there are tons of shows and movies you get to watch for free on Prime Video.

What is the minimum speed for internet to avoid the picture from freezing up while watching a streaming service.

What is the minimum speed for internet to avoid the picture from freezing up while watching a streaming service.
For just one person on one device streaming a standard-definition (SD) show, you need a minimum of 3–10 Mbps. For HD videos in general, 10–18 Mbps is adequate for most streaming purposes. To stream in Ultra HD Video, you'll need 18–25 Mbps.

As long as the TV has an HDMI port (virtually all TV's made after 2005 or so do)
You can buy a Roku ---> Roku or at Walmart etc.
Rokus come preloaded with virtually all streaming services that exist. A lot are free if you don't mind watching commercials.
Your Amazon and Netflix will work perfectly on it.
I believe when you buy a Roku it comes with an HDMI cable... if not... they look like this..

eee.jpeg

I have smart TVs preloaded with Netflix etc.... but still use Roku ultra, soooo much faster than Smart TV interfaces.

There's a whole generation of people who will never have a landline. All you actually need is internet and you can use free and paid streaming services/apps (even sharing the cost). And you certainly don't need to buy a tv to get Roku or Firestick apps. Just a under $50 device.

Forum List

Back