Nebraska stuns GOP establishment

I am not a supply side economist, so your reference is irrelevant. And the original argument was about the size of government, not the size of debt.

If you increase taxes, all else remaining the same, government will not decrease in size. You seem to be assuming that an increase in taxes will automatically result in less borrowing. But this is simply not true, as I already explained. If you aren't going to respond to my arguments, then I will not waste my time.

You're arguments are idiotic...

In fact, the closest we ever got to reducing the size of government was under Clinton, ironically enough. He raised taxes and then there WAS a push to reduce government. Defense spending went down and welfare spending flattened out.
You said it yourself. If there was a reduction in the size of government, that's what did it. You don't need to raise taxes in order to cut spending. You raise taxes if you need more funding for spending or if you want to spend more. That is not idiotic, that is simply common sense.

You seem to be conflating the size of government with the size of the deficit/debt. It is possible for a very large government to have little or no debt, or a very small government to have enormous amounts of it. Higher taxes increase the amount of money the government can spend, which can not decrease government. Lower taxes decrease revenue, but if spending remains constant then government cannot be decreased simply by lowering taxes either (as you said, the money could just be borrowed). What does decrease the size of government is less spending.

Last edited:
The last I checked, RealClear had this seat a lock for the GOP.

Better hope something changes......well, liberals should hope.

The fact that YOU either DO "believe" an obvious fraud like Fakey or just claim to believe that punk ass bitch tells a huge story about you, JoeB.

It's simple. When all of his expressed political views are warmed-over versions of the modern American liberal political position on whatever the topics might be, there comes a point where it is ridiculous to accept his obviously dishonest claims anymore that he is a Republican. He's not. He's a liberal Democrat.

He is a fraud. A poseur. There is no question about it. That makes you either a liar or a dolt.

I think that a lot of us who are more moderate, who don't come from states where they fly the Confederate Flag like that was something to be proud of, who actually are horrified that there are people who think the dinosaurs are extinct because Noah couldn't fit them on the Ark, really are concerned that the center of gravity in the GOP has switched to folks who think this stuff is all perfectly normal.

The fact is, Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Jerry Ford and perhaps even Ronald Reagan could not find a home in the current GOP with its level of religious crazy, anti-government hostility and general bat-shittery. When you drive out people like Orrin Hatch and Dick Lugar like some kind of Soviet Purge due to a lack of fealty to extreme positions, yeah, then I guess anyone who says, "Hey, wait a minute" might seem like a liberal.

Fact is, the only way Mitt Romney could get nominated was by pretending to be one of these Zombies, which is not how he acted as a governor or for most of his life.

It's a very dishonest transaction. He pretends to believe what you believe, and you pretend to believe him because you all hate Obama so much.

Did I miss anything?

Yes, Orrin Hatch has not been 'driven out' since he won the Republican primary in Utah. And everything else in your inane post is drivel.

Last edited:
The fact that YOU either DO "believe" an obvious fraud like Fakey or just claim to believe that punk ass bitch tells a huge story about you, JoeB.

It's simple. When all of his expressed political views are warmed-over versions of the modern American liberal political position on whatever the topics might be, there comes a point where it is ridiculous to accept his obviously dishonest claims anymore that he is a Republican. He's not. He's a liberal Democrat.

He is a fraud. A poseur. There is no question about it. That makes you either a liar or a dolt.

I think that a lot of us who are more moderate, who don't come from states where they fly the Confederate Flag like that was something to be proud of, who actually are horrified that there are people who think the dinosaurs are extinct because Noah couldn't fit them on the Ark, really are concerned that the center of gravity in the GOP has switched to folks who think this stuff is all perfectly normal.

The fact is, Dwight Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Jerry Ford and perhaps even Ronald Reagan could not find a home in the current GOP with its level of religious crazy, anti-government hostility and general bat-shittery. When you drive out people like Orrin Hatch and Dick Lugar like some kind of Soviet Purge due to a lack of fealty to extreme positions, yeah, then I guess anyone who says, "Hey, wait a minute" might seem like a liberal.

Fact is, the only way Mitt Romney could get nominated was by pretending to be one of these Zombies, which is not how he acted as a governor or for most of his life.

It's a very dishonest transaction. He pretends to believe what you believe, and you pretend to believe him because you all hate Obama so much.

Did I miss anything?

Yes, Orin Hatch has not been 'driven out' since he won the Republican primary in Utah. And everything else in your inane post is drivel.

The very fact he had to work so hard to win a Republican Primary in Utah (after another conservative got beaten by a TeaBagger in 2010) because the Tea Baggers had targetted him is kind of telling. He essentially had to go and kiss Grover Norquist's ring.

My original post was written before Hatch had to debase himself, so there's that.

But that's exactly my point, the GOP has become so extreme, and frankly, Romney is losing an election he should be able to win easily.

Did I miss anything?

Yes, Orin Hatch has not been 'driven out' since he won the Republican primary in Utah. And everything else in your inane post is drivel.

Plus, Lugar was 80 years old and hadn't owned a home in Indiana for 36 years.

The size of "the government," you fucking idiot is NOT related to the size of the military.

I don't think that's entirely correct, L. Lawmakers in Washington have long fought closures of bases in their jurisdictions, even if it meant having a less efficient, more cost-effective military.

It is the natural inclination of man to grow and expand. This is true of almost all institutions. Conservatives generally understand this about the government except when it comes to the military, rarely ever calling into question the size and expanse of the military. It's been my observation that Republican lawmakers often use military spending in their districts as back-door Keynesianism, decrying the expansion of government except when it provides jobs in their districts and states.

Good post, with one question. Do Democrats lawmakers use military spending in their districts as well as Republicans?

Did I miss anything?

The very fact he had to work so hard to win a Republican Primary in Utah (after another conservative got beaten by a TeaBagger in 2010) because the Tea Baggers had targetted him is kind of telling. He essentially had to go and kiss Grover Norquist's ring.

My original post was written before Hatch had to debase himself, so there's that.

But that's exactly my point, the GOP has become so extreme, and frankly, Romney is losing an election he should be able to win easily.

Your analysis of why Hatch won his primary is as bad as your broken crystal ball.

Wow, guy, you are going like Full Teabagger. Congrats.

The fact that Lugar who was a stalwart of support for President Reagan is now too liberal (or too old) to be part of the Wingnuttery and Batshittery that dominates the GOP these days is telling.

And it doesn't say anything good.

Your analysis of why Hatch won his primary is as bad as your broken crystal ball.

Um, the very fact he had to FIGHT in a primary shows that the GOP has gone nuts... sorry.

You are only being sustain on the fears and racism of your base... you have nothing to offer.

The fact that Lugar who was a stalwart of support for President Reagan is now too liberal (or too old) to be part of the Wingnuttery and Batshittery that dominates the GOP these days is telling.

Your ability to put your alleged thoughts into English is telling. And laughable.

Your ability to put your alleged thoughts into English is telling. And laughable.

But I dance circles around you most days... when I don't have you on "ignore"...

Um, the very fact he had to FIGHT in a primary shows that the GOP has gone nuts... sorry.

You are only being sustain on the fears and racism of your base... you have nothing to offer.

Luger lost because he took his seat for granted and didn't bother to campaign in his home state. What you call FIGHT, normal people call campaigning. And, that is what Hatch did.

Luger lost because he took his seat for granted and didn't bother to campaign in his home state. What you call FIGHT, normal people call campaigning. And, that is what Hatch did.

Lugar lost and Hatch had to pander because the inmates have taken over the asylum at the GOP.

Crazy, fringe characters are now setting the tone, whether it's Norquist wanting to drown government in a bathtub or Limbaugh calling a young woman a "slut" because she talked about her friend's ovarian cysts.

What is 'sustain?' Playing the race card is always the last resort of a moron.

Sorry, SUSTAINED.

If it weren't for the racists and the dumb religious people voting against their own economic interests, the GOP would get about 10% of the vote. Because it lost the sane, sensible people a long time ago.

Leave it to a dopey bitch like JoeBitch to think a shrinking military equates with a smaller government.

And he is SUCH a stupid bitch.

And what was your MOS, "bitch"... Somehow, I suspect the closest you ever got to military service was "Call of Duty III".

Anyway, yeah, shrinking the size of a bloated, unnecessary military buying weapons we don't need to fight a war that will never happen.

Do we really need 12 aircraft carriers when the rest of the world couldn't put together than many on a bet?

The ironic thing, we'd be a lot better off spending that money on roads and schools...

We need you to replace Sec Leon Panetta.

LEON PANETTA: Exactly because of what I said earlier on, that this country still confronts major challenges in today's world. We are still fighting the war on terrorism. We have got Iran. We have got North Korea. We have got all of these changes that are taking place in the Middle East.

We have got the challenges of dealing with rising powers in Asia. We have got the challenge of, you know, dealing with countries like Russia, rising countries that -- like India and others. All of that represents the kind of challenges that we are going to have to deal with in this world of the 21st century.

For that reason, we've got to be careful how we do this. Now, cutting almost $500 billion is not chump change. The fact is, it's a half-a-trillion dollars coming out of the defense budget. And that's going to impact on a lot of areas in the defense budget
Panetta on Pentagon Budget: 'Cutting Almost $500 Billion Is Not Chump Change' | PBS NewsHour | Jan. 5, 2012 | PBS

Leave it to a dopey bitch like JoeBitch to think a shrinking military equates with a smaller government.

And he is SUCH a stupid bitch.

And what was your MOS, "bitch"... Somehow, I suspect the closest you ever got to military service was "Call of Duty III".

Anyway, yeah, shrinking the size of a bloated, unnecessary military buying weapons we don't need to fight a war that will never happen.

Do we really need 12 aircraft carriers when the rest of the world couldn't put together than many on a bet?

The ironic thing, we'd be a lot better off spending that money on roads and schools...

We need you to replace Sec Leon Panetta.

LEON PANETTA: Exactly because of what I said earlier on, that this country still confronts major challenges in today's world. We are still fighting the war on terrorism. We have got Iran. We have got North Korea. We have got all of these changes that are taking place in the Middle East.

We have got the challenges of dealing with rising powers in Asia. We have got the challenge of, you know, dealing with countries like Russia, rising countries that -- like India and others. All of that represents the kind of challenges that we are going to have to deal with in this world of the 21st century.

For that reason, we've got to be careful how we do this. Now, cutting almost $500 billion is not chump change. The fact is, it's a half-a-trillion dollars coming out of the defense budget. And that's going to impact on a lot of areas in the defense budget
Panetta on Pentagon Budget: 'Cutting Almost $500 Billion Is Not Chump Change' | PBS NewsHour | Jan. 5, 2012 | PBS

Actually, I blame both parties and teh body politic as a whole. We have fallen into the trap where we are carrying the weight of establishing world peace, while the rest of the world gets by. But a lot of us work in industries that get Defense Dollars, so no one wants to see that gravy train derailed.

Sorry, SUSTAINED.

If it weren't for the racists and the dumb religious people voting against their own economic interests, the GOP would get about 10% of the vote. Because it lost the sane, sensible people a long time ago.

You don't even know what a racist is, and some of the smartest people I know are religious. Conversely, some of the dumbest people are atheists. Case in point!

You don't even know what a racist is, and some of the smartest people I know are religious. Conversely, some of the dumbest people are atheists. Case in point!

Actually, I've never met a religious person I've considered very smart. I've seen a few who are good at twisting their brains into pretzels trying to rationalize talking snakes or why a beneficent God kills babies and can still be called "Good".

But the fact is, if Obama were a white Republican, doing the things he's done (finding a free market solution to the Health Care Crisis, killing Bin Laden, saving the Auto Industry), you idiots would be praising him to the high heavens.

Forum List

Back