Nebraska governor makes right call on federal aid

lennypartiv

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2019
I wish more governors would reject federal aid. Taxpayer dollars will be saved by this. I'm sure the taxpayers in Nebraska will be happy knowing they have a fiscal conservative governor.

---Nebraska governor stands firm on rejection of federal money to feed food-insecure children---

As late as the early 90s Virginia was very reluctant to take fed money due to the strings attached.

Example.....

I showed up for my 7-day work shift at the VDOC prison I worked at and there were two brand spanking new Ford security vans sitting in the back of the guard's barracks parking lot. I noticed they both had state tags on them.

I asked the off-going watch commander about them and he said the state got them from the feds a few days prior.....Every camp in the region got two of them.....Thing was they could only be used for convict recreation for three years....WTF?

The state gathered them all up and kept them at the regional VDOT shops for three years then issued them back out for regular service.

Sadly they take every nickel offered now.....Strings and all.

I wish more governors would reject federal aid. Taxpayer dollars will be saved by this. I'm sure the taxpayers in Nebraska will be happy knowing they have a fiscal conservative governor.

---Nebraska governor stands firm on rejection of federal money to feed food-insecure children---

Public education is not about teaching welfare, rather "PUBLIC K-12" education is about teaching one to become self sufficient.

As late as the early 90s Virginia was very reluctant to take fed money due to the strings attached.

Example.....

I showed up for my 7-day work shift at the VDOC prison I worked at and there were two brand spanking new Ford security vans sitting in the back of the guard's barracks parking lot. I noticed they both had state tags on them.

I asked the off-going watch commander about them and he said the state got them from the feds a few days prior.....Every camp in the region got two of them.....Thing was they could only be used for convict recreation for three years....WTF?

The state gathered them all up and kept them at the regional VDOT shops for three years then issued them back out for regular service.

Sadly they take every nickel offered now.....Strings and all.
The days of constitutionally based government looks to be coming to an end. The American constituency brought this onto themselves & will also have to pay the price for allowing this to have happened.

He's an idiot and so are you.

“No kid ever said, ‘I want to be born into a family that struggles,’” said Jenni Benson, president of the Nebraska State Education Association — the state’s largest teachers union. “Why would we even question that people and children deserve food?”

Preston Love Jr,, a longtime community advocate in Omaha, on Friday questioned whether Pillen was bowing to political pressure in rejecting the federal funding.

“I know the governor a little bit, and he seems to be a reasonable man. He’s a man who is compassionate in conversation,” Love said. “This is out of character. So, obviously, he’s not following his heart. He’s following his politics. He’s falling victim to political posturing, and there’s no excuse for that when it comes to children.”

It continues:

"States that participate in the federal program are required to cover half of the administrative costs, which would cost Nebraska an estimated $300,000. Advocates of the program note that the administrative cost is far outweighed by the $18 million benefit, which the U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates would benefit 175,000 Nebraska children who might otherwise go hungry on some days during the summer."

Nebraskans paid into the system...and will continue to pay. They just won't get the benefits they paid for. The wholesale stupidity of red-states is something truly remarkable.

i really like that these "food insecure "children will be able to grow up free of the deadly poisons in a america diet, and teaching the wonders of capitalism at the same time. no wonder everyone loves their conservative governors! ;

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
This seems like contrived fake news. No Christian person is going to get rid of a program that would feed kids. That makes zero sense. Either that or Nebraska doesn't want people having kids. That could be a reason.

During the covid my county had such a program.....Every Wednesday a parent of a needy child could go to their school and get two big bags of food, milk and juice per child.

Very few availed themselves of it and the food that could not be froze had to be discarded. They then opened it up to all comers and still they had to discard the food....Finally the just dropped it.

I'm quite sure former Nebraska strong safety Jim Pillen won't reject government subsidies (WELFARE) for farmers or for increased law enforcement in Omaha, but this...

Nebraska governor stands firm on rejection of federal money to feed food-insecure children​

Nebraska's Republican governor on Friday reiterated his rejection of $18 million in federal funding to help feed children who might otherwise go hungry while school is out.

Nebraska will not participate in the 2024 Summer Electronic Benefits Transfer for Children — or Summer EBT — program, Gov. Jim Pillen said in a written statement. That statement came as advocates for children and low-income families held a news conference outside the Governor’s Mansion in Lincoln to call on Pillen to change his mind before the Jan. 1 deadline to sign up for the program.

The program — part of federal assistance made available during the COVID-19 pandemic — would provide pre-loaded EBT cards to families whose children are eligible for free and reduced-price lunches at school. Those families would receive $40 per eligible child per month over the summer. The cards can be used to buy groceries, similar to how SNAP benefits are used.

“COVID-19 is over, and Nebraska taxpayers expect that pandemic-era government relief programs will end too," Pillen said in his statement. Pillen announced on Dec. 19 that Nebraska would not participate in the program. He has drawn a firestorm of criticism for later defending that stance at a news conference by saying, “I don't believe in welfare."

MSN

"We will fight for the unborn, but once they are born, they are on their own". This is the Republican way.

Forum List

Back