Navy SEAL who killed bin Laden - interview

I knew a few team six members, they vowed to never reveal who took the shot, to anyone. I don't believe this guy.

And pin a target on his back? And his family's?

Target from whom? The reality is most Muslim terrorists are probably glad he's dead. The pressure is off now, we aren't hunting terrorists near as much as we were.

I'm surprised they didn't kill him themselves years ago, when he had outlived his usefulness.

You think like a true American. What you DON'T do is think like an Arab. Tsun Tzu ... know your enemy ....

Most Muslim terrorists are pissed that WE killed him, and using it as an excuse to wage their criminal war. This is a collision of cultures and if you try to judge them by our beliefs, you're going to lose.

No, I agreed with you. Externally they are going to act pissed about us killing him, in private they are no doubt relieved.

I don't believe they will expand any resources to exact revenge on this guy or his family. This isn't a Tom Clancey novel.

Tom Clancy novels are cool. But, I never made a correlation. I understand m enemy. Was my job. And the one thing I learned in all those years was NEVER underestimate your enemy. They'll hand you your ass if you do.

You may think they won't expend any resources for bin Laden, but they WILL do it in the name of. The result is the same. Look what we did and what they did. They hit no strategic targets. They hit symbols. WTC = American money. The Pentagon= American military might.

And what did we do? We killed a symbol. The "leader of AQ". Whoop. Isis is so bad AQ kicked them out. How f-ing jacked up do you have to be to get kicked out of AQ?

Now go figure this one.... AQ is supported by Saudi Arabia, our ally. But we're fighting ISIS which is a product of AQ and asking the shia to help us out, but Iran's our enemy.. We're stuck in the middle of someone else's religious war.

And pin a target on his back? And his family's?

Target from whom? The reality is most Muslim terrorists are probably glad he's dead. The pressure is off now, we aren't hunting terrorists near as much as we were.

I'm surprised they didn't kill him themselves years ago, when he had outlived his usefulness.

You think like a true American. What you DON'T do is think like an Arab. Tsun Tzu ... know your enemy ....

Most Muslim terrorists are pissed that WE killed him, and using it as an excuse to wage their criminal war. This is a collision of cultures and if you try to judge them by our beliefs, you're going to lose.

No, I agreed with you. Externally they are going to act pissed about us killing him, in private they are no doubt relieved.

I don't believe they will expand any resources to exact revenge on this guy or his family. This isn't a Tom Clancey novel.
Young American converts to jihad could though...15 minutes of fame. I would watch my back if I were he...his whole community should be alert.

He's a SEAL, he will ALWAYS watch his back.

Incorrect. I'm a combat vet. We aren't trained to fight. Unfortunately, killing is against the rules here. Rules of engagement. They aren't the same there as they are here. Here you get called a racist and accused of hate crimes for saving your own ass.

what means "directed" ? directed on site?----my impression is that the mission was ----'kill the bastard'
Your impression is not relevant. What is relevant is the specific action this team was ordered to execute upon encountering bin Laden. Were they ordered to wrap him up and bring him back alive? Or were they ordered to kill him only if they couldn't bring him back for some reason? Or were they ordered to kill him as the first and only option?

If so -- WHY? Was killing a sick old man who is no longer a threat worth the risk of losing six valuable soldiers and two expensive helicopters? Based on reports of bin Laden's health it is likely we did him a favor by ending his mortal suffering and sending him to Moslem paradise. That is no revenge.

Aside from barbaric torture, the only possible real vengeance against bin Laden would be a public trial and public hanging. But a trial would be an opportunity for him to speak freely and tell the world what his motives were.

Incorrect. I'm a combat vet. We aren't trained to fight. Unfortunately, killing is against the rules here. Rules of engagement. They aren't the same there as they are here. Here you get called a racist and accused of hate crimes for saving your own ass.
I have read and heard occasional mention of what I regard as an amazing statistic on the suicide rate of American GIs, which is astounding to me.

I was a peacetime Marine (1956 - 1960). Back then, with clear recollection of the WW-II era and the Korea debacle, I never heard of a single GI (in any branch) killing himself.

What's the story with these reports? Are they true?

what means "directed" ? directed on site?----my impression is that the mission was ----'kill the bastard'
Your impression is not relevant. What is relevant is the specific action this team was ordered to execute upon encountering bin Laden. Were they ordered to wrap him up and bring him back alive? Or were they ordered to kill him only if they couldn't bring him back for some reason? Or were they ordered to kill him as the first and only option?

If so -- WHY? Was killing a sick old man who is no longer a threat worth the risk of losing six valuable soldiers and two expensive helicopters? Based on reports of bin Laden's health it is likely we did him a favor by ending his mortal suffering and sending him to Moslem paradise. That is no revenge.

Aside from barbaric torture, the only possible real vengeance against bin Laden would be a public trial and public hanging. But a trial would be an opportunity for him to speak freely and tell the world what his motives were.

Of course my comment was conjecture----but it seems highly logical to me You trivialized Osama and the impact of
his death--- I assure you it had a HUGE psychological impact on the Islamic world-------He was living under the protection of a 'NUCLEAR BOMB' capable Islamic
nation ----(no big deal for me but huge for the mosque
going crowd) Osama made his motives very clear during his lifetime-------in fact during his whole life time "restore"---the main Islamic fantasy ------its WORLD WIDE GLORY AND DOMINION. What more did you think you would
learn? I think that having him in custody would unleash
huge violence and lots of death

I have read and heard occasional mention of what I regard as an amazing statistic on the suicide rate of American GIs, which is astounding to me.

I was a peacetime Marine (1956 - 1960). Back then, with clear recollection of the WW-II era and the Korea debacle, I never heard of a single GI (in any branch) killing himself.

What's the story with these reports? Are they true?

Suicide is very common in young men and -----that's the
population of the military-----ALSO the population of
the military includes a lot of boys who -----joined up---
to escape something else-----and lots are from alcoholic
families ----------uhm......I cannot tell you why I know---
but I know lots of cases----I served in peace time but in
a position ----to know. Another issue that might interest
you------suicide in the civilian population is under-reported---
it comes out as "auto mobile accident" Kid with access
to guns have better methods

I agree...but why not smack him in the side of the head with your weapon, tie him up, throw him on the chopper and boogie. That's what they did with his body...don't get why it was necessary to kill him...bring him back and let W torture him a while.....
Now that question stands out like a mustache on a baby.

They went through all that risk and expense and what is there to show for it? Based on credible reports of bin Laden's health we did him a favor.

I agree...but why not smack him in the side of the head with your weapon, tie him up, throw him on the chopper and boogie. That's what they did with his body...don't get why it was necessary to kill him...bring him back and let W torture him a while.....
Now that question stands out like a mustache on a baby.

They went through all that risk and expense and what is there to show for it? Based on credible reports of bin Laden's health we did him a favor.

His kidney failure? that's correctable

Suicide is very common in young men [...]
I really can't speak for the present but I can assure you that suicide by young men was not very common when I was a young man (40s, 50s, 60s).

that's the population of the military-----ALSO the population of the military includes a lot of boys who joined up
to escape something else [...]
In my time we joined up for patriotic reasons (no enlistment bonuses back then) and because we probably would be drafted, anyway. And as already mentioned, I never heard of a suicide in any branch of the military back then.

and lots are from alcoholic families. I cannot tell you why I know.
Why not?

but I know lots of casesj. I served in peace time but in
a position to know.
What position would that be?

Another issue that might interest you is suicide in the civilian population is under-reported.
How do you know that?

it comes out as "auto mobile accident" Kid with access to guns have better methods
The Behavioral profession believes many examples of homicide, outstandingly including such mass homicides as the increasingly common school shootings, are suicides turned outward. Likewise, some suicides are homicides turned inward. So there might be some of that peculiar twist operating in the violence you're talking about.

Suicide is very common in young men [...]
I really can't speak for the present but I can assure you that suicide by young men was not very common when I was a young man (40s, 50s, 60s).

that's the population of the military-----ALSO the population of the military includes a lot of boys who joined up
to escape something else [...]
In my time we joined up for patriotic reasons (no enlistment bonuses back then) and because we probably would be drafted, anyway. And as already mentioned, I never heard of a suicide in any branch of the military back then.

and lots are from alcoholic families. I cannot tell you why I know.
Why not?

but I know lots of casesj. I served in peace time but in
a position to know.
What position would that be?

Another issue that might interest you is suicide in the civilian population is under-reported.
How do you know that?

it comes out as "auto mobile accident" Kid with access to guns have better methods
The Behavioral profession believes many examples of homicide, outstandingly including such mass homicides as the increasingly common school shootings, are suicides turned outward. Likewise, some suicides are homicides turned inward. So there might be some of that peculiar twist operating in the violence you're talking about.
What kind of life did you have back in the 40s compared to your grandchildren now, Mike? As for me I had nothing, so any hardship I endured as a young man was no big deal. Young people now grow up with so much maybe they can't handle hardship as well. Just a guess...but there is such a difference between the 40s and now, it's mind boggling.

Who among you actually saw Bin Laden's body?

I know one of the SEALs who was there, or rather did, unfortunately he's passed, and he assured it WAS OBL.

Sorry, counselor.

Hearsay.......

Believe what you will

Perhaps you misunderstood the question.

Alas, your liberal indoctrination caused reading comprehension issue is yours to deal with. Not mine. Not "ours".

Who among you actually saw Bin Laden's body?

I know one of the SEALs who was there, or rather did, unfortunately he's passed, and he assured it WAS OBL.

Sorry, counselor.

Hearsay.......

Believe what you will

Perhaps you misunderstood the question.

Alas, your liberal indoctrination caused reading comprehension issue is yours to deal with. Not mine. Not "ours".

Oh, you're one of those " you disagree with me, so you must be a liberal fool" fools eh?

I'll gladly put my education against yours.

What kind of life did you have back in the 40s compared to your grandchildren now, Mike? As for me I had nothing, so any hardship I endured as a young man was no big deal. Young people now grow up with so much maybe they can't handle hardship as well. Just a guess...but there is such a difference between the 40s and now, it's mind boggling.
Your theory of relative hardship then compared with now is substantive. But I believe the nature of the hardship calls for a closer look.

Back then we were a Nation struggling to recover from a ruinous economic depression and an exhausting war. I recall there was a general feeling of intense national pride and confidence then because the evidence of growth was everywhere. We didn't have much in the way of material things but we felt socially healthy and strong and things were looking up. Jobs were plentiful, wages were good and getting better,

Today everyone has a car, a cell-phone, and a 32" HD television. But the sense of national pride is vapid and pretentious. Our political leadership is generally corrupt, our economic stability is tenuous, and while America was widely respected and admired not so long ago it has become an increasingly despised empire by most of the world.

So the more I think about it more inclined I am to agree with your assessment. I suppose there is a reason for all the hidden suicide and the violent homicide -- which is suicide turned outward.

Your theory of relative hardship then compared with now is substantive. But I believe the nature of the hardship calls for a closer look.

Back then we were a Nation struggling to recover from a ruinous economic depression and an exhausting war. I recall there was a general feeling of intense national pride and confidence then because the evidence of growth was everywhere. We didn't have much in the way of material things but we felt socially healthy and strong and things were looking up. Jobs were plentiful, wages were good and getting better,

Today everyone has a car, a cell-phone, and a 32" HD television. But the sense of national pride is vapid and pretentious. Our political leadership is generally corrupt, our economic stability is tenuous, and while America was widely respected and admired not so long ago it has become an increasingly despised empire by most of the world.

So the more I think about it more inclined I am to agree with your assessment. I suppose there is a reason for all the hidden suicide and the violent homicide -- which is suicide turned outward.

Lol. That so depressing.

Forum List

Back