NATO agrees to exit Afcarnistan by 2014

loosecannon

May 7, 2007
NATO Endorses Plan to Exit Afghanistan, US Holds Back

NATO leaders on Saturday endorsed a plan to start transferring leadership of the war in Afghanistan to Kabul, and completely hand over military control to Afghan forces by 2014...

But a senior U.S. official cautioned that President Barack Obama had not formally committed to ending the U.S. combat mission in Afghanistan on that date.....

NATO leaders were also meeting with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev on Saturday in a gathering that Rasmussen described as a "turning point" in relations between Moscow and the Western military alliance.

The NATO-Russia Council is expected to invite Russia to take part in a U.S.-European missile defense shield.

Rasmussen said they had already reached a deal to expand the transit of equipment through Russia to support NATO troops in Afghanistan....

NATO on Friday also agreed to a new, 10-year mission statement for the military alliance, that lays out how the organization plans to meet the security challenges of the 21st century.

NATO members also backed the approval of a START missile pact. Mr. Obama has called on the U.S. Senate to ratify the treaty between Moscow and Washington, aimed at cutting deployed nuclear weapons by about 30 percent.

NATO seems to have just taken a radically different position in regards to it's leadership, promoting the status of both the EU and Russia, while reducing the leadership role of the US.

Last edited:
NATO is useless. I see no reason for us to continue being a part of NATO. It does us more harm than it does good. How much money does it cost U.S. Tax Payers to continue propping them up? Is it really worth it? Not in my opinion.

NATO is useless. I see no reason for us to continue being a part of NATO. It does us more harm than it does good. How much money does it cost U.S. Tax Payers to continue propping them up? Is it really worth it? Not in my opinion.

Lmao!!!!!

Globalism is way way over-rated. NATO should be a part of the past. It's definitely an outdated concept. The cost to American Tax Payers keeping NATO afloat is enormous. It's time to move on.

Globalism is way way over-rated. NATO should be a part of the past. It's definitely an outdated concept. The cost to American Tax Payers keeping NATO afloat is enormous. It's time to move on.

Don't worry, NATO is moving on, and signaling their unwillingness to fight our wars for us.

Don't worry, NATO is moving on, and signaling their unwillingness to fight our wars for us.

Cool. Maybe now our politicians here will start using some common sense and end NATO. It really is an old and outdated concept. The costs for American Tax Payers keeping it staggering along are just too much in my opinion. It's no longer worth it continuing to prop it up. Obviously they wont be listening to me though. They'll just continue on raping the Tax Payers to pay for their useless follies. I know nothing will ever change but i do still dare to dream.

Cool. Maybe now our politicians here will start using some common sense and end NATO. It really is an old and outdated concept. The costs for American Tax Payers keeping it staggering along are just too much in my opinion. It's no longer worth it continuing to prop it up. Obviously they wont be listening to me though. They'll just continue on raping the Tax Payers to pay for their useless follies. I know nothing will ever change but i do still dare to dream.

The US doesn't have the power to end NATO. NATO doesn't need us anymore anyway.

The U.S. has the power to end its involvement in NATO. Once we're gone,i don't care what NATO does. As long as we're not paying for it anymore,i'll be very happy. There just isn't a need for NATO anymore. It really is that simple in the end. Too bad our politicians are too corrupt to acknowledge this and get us out. Business as usual i guess. It's sad.

The U.S. has the power to end its involvement in NATO. Once we're gone,i don't care what NATO does. As long as we're not paying for it anymore,i'll be very happy. There just isn't a need for NATO anymore. It really is that simple in the end. Too bad our politicians are too corrupt to acknowledge this and get us out. Business as usual i guess. It's sad.

Since you have said that now 4 times and I can't find any evidence that the US is "paying for" NATO, I gotta ask you for something to back that up.

And despite what you may think the Europeans seem to think there is a need for NATO with or without the US. NATO is an always has been a European project with a role played by Canada and the US.

Now That Russia is getting involved and likely several former soviet bloc states it looks like they will be viable for decades.

Since you have said that now 4 times and I can't find any evidence that the US is "paying for" NATO, I gotta ask you for something to back that up.

And despite what you may think the Europeans seem to think there is a need for NATO with or without the US. NATO is an always has been a European project with a role played by Canada and the US.

Now That Russia is getting involved and likely several former soviet bloc states it looks like they will be viable for decades.

Obviously the U.S. pays for the vast majority of NATO expenses. They don't pay for it all but they do pay for most. As for NATO being a "European Project",that's very debatable. The U.S. was at the forefront of its creation. But hey if you want to believe it's a "European Project",than so be it. I can live with that. It doesn't change my mind. NATO is a thing of the past. We should no longer be involved.

so you A) have no idea whether the US "pays for" NATO and B) can't find anything to back it up

Thanks

so you A) have no idea whether the US "pays for" NATO and B) can't find anything to back it up

Thanks

So it's free for us to be involved with NATO? No costs? lol! Well that's news to me. U.S. Tax Payer costs for NATO are enormous. I'm actually a little surprised you don't know this. Do you know what NATO is? I'm being serious. Even if it were free for us to be a member,i would still support getting out. There is no point to it anymore. If the Euros want to keep it going when we're gone,than good for them. Btw,what i'm proposing isn't going to happen. The corrupt politician stooges in this country will continue flushing the cash down that toilet regardless of what its Citizens think. We're not as free in this country as we like to think.

still nothing to back that up. I am shocked!

Well i'm still waiting for you to prove that it's free for us to be a member of NATO. Any Tax Payer money spent on that useless folly is way too much in my opinion. Next you'll be telling me that it's free for us to be a member of the UN too.

Look, you said 4 times that we paid for the whole thing and now you have scaled that back to a single penny and still can't back that up.

I haven't made any claims about it and you are asking me for proof?

The cost to American Tax Payers keeping NATO afloat is enormous.

The costs for American Tax Payers keeping it staggering along are just too much in my opinion. It's no longer worth it continuing to prop it up. Obviously they wont be listening to me though. They'll just continue on raping the Tax Payers

Obviously the U.S. pays for the vast majority of NATO expenses. They don't pay for it all but they do pay for most.

U.S. Tax Payer costs for NATO are enormous.

,i don't care what NATO does. As long as we're not paying for it anymore

Yes U.S. Tax Payers pay for an enormous amount of NATO's budget. What are you not understanding? I don't support my country spending a single penny on NATO. I hope i have made myself more clear for you. NATO is an enormous & useless folly. American Tax Dollars could be much better spent.

Forum List

Back