Natl Org for Marriage collapsed into debt

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
The National Organization for Marriage Has Collapsed Into Debt

By Mark Joseph Stern

NOM chairman of the board John Eastman testifies during a hearing before the House Ways and Means Committee in June 2013.
Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images

On Wednesday, the viciously anti-gay National Organization for Marriage finally released its 2013 tax filings—two days late, in direct violation of federal law. The results are nothing short of brutal. NOM raised $5.1 million last year—a 50 percent drop-off from its 2012 earnings. Two donors accounted for more than half of that money. And the group’s “Education Fund,” which churns out anti-gay propaganda and homophobic calumny, raised less than $1.7 million, a 70 percent decline from 2012. NOM closed out the year more than $2.5 million in debt.

How did this collapse occur so quickly? I have three theories. The first is that casual donors grew weary of NOM’s execrably hateful campaigns and craven refusal to face public censure. In 2013, the group’s anti-gay rhetoric sounded barbaric and, at a fundamental level, simply impolite. Even if you didn’t like gay people, you probably didn’t want to associate with such a rabid crowd.

My second, related theory is NOM’s donors are increasingly terrified of being unmasked. For years, the group flew under the radar, and donors could give anonymously. But since the Prop 8 debacle, the indefatigable Fred Karger and his merry band of campaign finance lawyers have been fighting in court, successfully, to force NOM to disclose its donor lists. As the Brendan Eich controversy illustrates, having your name linked with an anti-gay cause can irreparably tarnish your public image. For anti-gay Americans without the backbone to weather harsh criticism, a NOM donation simply isn’t worth the risk.

My third theory—and probably the most likely one—is that NOM’s former donor base has simply lost interest. The battle is over. They know it, and they’re moving on. Gay marriage is here to stay; a $100 (or $100,000) check to NOM won’t change anything. Maybe a few former donors have even changed their mind about the whole gay marriage issue. Either way, most people know a lost cause when they see one. And anyone not totally blinded by bigotry can see pretty clearly that NOM is waging a war against the inevitable.

Read the rest at the link.

Mindless hate is losing.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

The National Organization for Marriage Has Collapsed Into Debt

By Mark Joseph Stern

NOM chairman of the board John Eastman testifies during a hearing before the House Ways and Means Committee in June 2013.
Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images

On Wednesday, the viciously anti-gay National Organization for Marriage finally released its 2013 tax filings—two days late, in direct violation of federal law. The results are nothing short of brutal. NOM raised $5.1 million last year—a 50 percent drop-off from its 2012 earnings. Two donors accounted for more than half of that money. And the group’s “Education Fund,” which churns out anti-gay propaganda and homophobic calumny, raised less than $1.7 million, a 70 percent decline from 2012. NOM closed out the year more than $2.5 million in debt.

How did this collapse occur so quickly? I have three theories. The first is that casual donors grew weary of NOM’s execrably hateful campaigns and craven refusal to face public censure. In 2013, the group’s anti-gay rhetoric sounded barbaric and, at a fundamental level, simply impolite. Even if you didn’t like gay people, you probably didn’t want to associate with such a rabid crowd.

My second, related theory is NOM’s donors are increasingly terrified of being unmasked. For years, the group flew under the radar, and donors could give anonymously. But since the Prop 8 debacle, the indefatigable Fred Karger and his merry band of campaign finance lawyers have been fighting in court, successfully, to force NOM to disclose its donor lists. As the Brendan Eich controversy illustrates, having your name linked with an anti-gay cause can irreparably tarnish your public image. For anti-gay Americans without the backbone to weather harsh criticism, a NOM donation simply isn’t worth the risk.

My third theory—and probably the most likely one—is that NOM’s former donor base has simply lost interest. The battle is over. They know it, and they’re moving on. Gay marriage is here to stay; a $100 (or $100,000) check to NOM won’t change anything. Maybe a few former donors have even changed their mind about the whole gay marriage issue. Either way, most people know a lost cause when they see one. And anyone not totally blinded by bigotry can see pretty clearly that NOM is waging a war against the inevitable.

Read the rest at the link.

Face it phobes -- Mindless hate is losing.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

The second theory is the correct one. The gays have used economic terrorism to win this battle against people who oppose same-sex marriage.

The second theory is the correct one. The gays have used economic terrorism to win this battle against people who oppose same-sex marriage.

You mean that one bakery? Or the business that tried become a church?

Can you name the millions of others that would be necessary in order to bring about "economic terrorism"?

:link:

Poor dears, it seems they can't dupe anymore of their supporters to part with their money. Their former donors see the writing on the wall and are closing their wallets accordingly.

Obama opposed same-sex marriage, until he didn't. Why have homosexuals forgiven him so easily?

Because they knew he was lying when he said he was against same-sex marriage. He said that just to get elected.

Joe Wilson was right about Obama. His words should be etched on Obama's gravestone: "LIAR!!!"

Marriage and the 2.1 kids Family is what built America and fostered the great people that drove it forward. Until now.

Naturally, you cheer it's demise.

You mean that one bakery? Or the business that tried become a church?

Can you name the millions of others that would be necessary in order to bring about "economic terrorism"?

:link:
You're a leftist, so you approve of the gay agenda's dirty tactics to terrorize people who oppose same-sex marriage.

I'm old enough to remember when leftists were fighting with cops and planting bombs in judge's homes.

Then they got older and joined the power structure, and now they're destroying our country from within.

The gay agenda is merely a part of a much wider agenda to destroy this nation's moral foundations,

The goal is to destroy marriage and the family, and the power of parents over their children, especially fathers, who liberals hate

NOM organized boycotts against companies and businesses they felt were too supportive of gays and their gay employees. Somehow I bet you don't consider that economic terrorism. Gays have every right to use the power of their voice and dollar to take their business elsewhere. The free market stinks when it doesn't bend to your will.

Clearly it is the fault of gays that NOM couldn't dupe its donors into throwing more money at a losing cause.

Obama opposed same-sex marriage, until he didn't. Why have homosexuals forgiven him so easily?

Because they knew he was lying when he said he was against same-sex marriage. He said that just to get elected.

Joe Wilson was right about Obama. His words should be etched on Obama's gravestone: "LIAR!!!"

Uh, Joe Wilson was lying.

Even RWs know that.

I have never liked boycotts, no matter who's doing it. It's a form of bullying people into conformity with ideas that they don't agree with.

I'm sorry you conservatives were forced into a gay marriage. But couldn't you just try to make it work, for the kids?

If they're gonna be all about blame, its the straights who are having the gay kids.

:lmao:

Even RWs know that.
Do you want me to list all of Obama's lies? You know you don't.

How about "You can keep your old health insurance."

I have never liked boycotts, no matter who's doing it. It's a form of bullying people into conformity with ideas that they don't agree with.

Piffle.

Its how the free market works. You support what you agree with and don't support what you don't like.

My bet is that you boycott certain products, stores, websites.

Bet you boycott MSNBC.

Even RWs know that.
Do you want me to list all of Obama's lies? You know you don't.

How about "You can keep your old health insurance."

Is your argument so weak that all you can do is hope to derail the thread?

If you don't like this topic, go start your own.

Try again and stay on topic.

Forum List

Back