Native English Speakers

How often do you talk like the lyrics of popular music?

It has nothing to do with trying to "talk like lyrics". It's all about getting the sound of the language to resonate so the individual words and sentences begin to make more sense.

I believe that until the vast majority of students who leave our mandatory education agency can speak and write English with proficiency, no other language should be taught....

Do you consider them to be mutually exclusive?
No, but I do consider our education system to be completely incompetent.

A system should master one thing first before attempting to do more. Learn to chew first, then learn to walk.

Then your hangup apparently lies in the compulsion to micromanage others as if they have no cognitive abilities of their own. I suspect people are not as stupid as you seem to think from your tree perch.

No "hangup," I'm just (kindly) informing you. You're welcome.

Then why do you continually edit off points you can't counter, like you did above until I filled it back in? Because it hits too close to home, QED?

Sorry, that's Latin. Dead language. Has no meaning. (/sarc)

why do you continually edit off points you can't counter

I don't. You've never made such a point. I respond to the part of a post about which I have a comment to make. I also try to reduce the ten-foot long compound quote madness.

I believe that until the vast majority of students who leave our mandatory education agency can speak and write English with proficiency, no other language should be taught....

A system should master one thing first before attempting to do more. Learn to chew first, then learn to walk.

So, all students should start first grade studying only one subject and then study other subjects only after that one has been "mastered"? Not gonna get very far that way.

It has nothing to do with trying to "talk like lyrics". It's all about getting the sound of the language to resonate so the individual words and sentences begin to make more sense.

Then you should expose yourself to natural dialog between native speakers. Popular music is rarely that.

Then you should expose yourself to natural dialog between native speakers. Popular music is rarely that.

Absurd. If popular music (lyrics) didn't consist of natural dialogue (and more to the point if it were not what both of us said it was rather than what you're trying to shift it into, the sound of the language) -- it wouldn't be popular music, would it?

If popular music (lyrics) didn't consist of natural dialogue (and more to the point if it were not what both of us said it was rather than what you're trying to shift it into, the sound of the language) -- it wouldn't be popular music, would it?

Of course it would. There's a reason people don't pay top dollar to cram into a stadium to listen to two middle-aged men read the newspaper and chat about the issues of the day to each other. You said yourself that you "rarely if ever" talk like the lyrics of popular music. You're just flailing blindly now, and there is no reason to do so.

If popular music (lyrics) didn't consist of natural dialogue (and more to the point if it were not what both of us said it was rather than what you're trying to shift it into, the sound of the language) -- it wouldn't be popular music, would it?

Of course it would. There's a reason people don't pay top dollar to cram into a stadium to listen to two middle-aged men read the newspaper and chat about the issues of the day to each other. You said yourself that you "rarely if ever" talk like the lyrics of popular music. You're just flailing blindly now, and there is no reason to do so.

Still trying to morph the point from what it was into something else. Why is that?
That's a rhetorical question, doesn't need an answer. Because you'll just distort that too.

That nonsense post didn't even respond to the quote.

It did when you cease believing the lie that English is the native language spoken in North America. It isn't. It's the language spoken by the invaders who conquered North America.
Actually, the Spanish were the first. At least that was believed until fairly recently. The Vikings beat the Spanish, but didn't leave much of an influence.

Last edited:

Still trying to morph the point from what it was into something else. Why is that?...

You asked a question and I answered it. If you would just calm down, you might learn something.

So, all students should start first grade studying only one subject and then study other subjects only after that one has been "mastered"? Not gonna get very far that way.
Nice try. I wasn't referring to the students. Unlike some teachers, children actually have a huge capacity to learn and soak in knowledge.

It isn't the children that are the problem.

Nice try. I wasn't referring to the students. Unlike some teachers, children actually have a huge capacity to learn and soak in knowledge.

It isn't the children that are the problem.

OK, then what did you mean by "until the vast majority of students who leave our mandatory education agency can speak and write English with proficiency, no other language should be taught...."?

OK, then what did you mean by "until the vast majority of students who leave our mandatory education agency can speak and write English with proficiency, no other language should be taught...."?

You still didn't answer my question.

How many languages other than English do YOU speak? :rolleyes:

You still didn't answer my question.

How many languages other than English do YOU speak? :rolleyes:

I told you that you would need to be more specific. What do you mean by "do you speak"? Do you mean as a first language? Native-like fluency? Functional fluency? High communication skills? Intermediate? Low functional communication skills? Some speaking and listening? Understanding just a few words? Be specific.

Forum List

Back