Native English Speakers

If we are looking at English as an official international language then the approach is flawed. English is not a very scientific language. For starters, it lacks consistency when it comes to describing sound. It heavily relies on context which leads to ambiguity. It will be tragic for humanity if English emerges as an official international language. However, it is at the moment a very practical and useful language skill to possess.

English is the worst language. The spelling is arbitrary and chosen by 18th century Anglican nerds who worshipped the Norman French aristocracy and so they wanted to retain the root spellings so that one could see which words came from the crude Germanic English vrs which came from the sophisticated French of the Norman ancestry.

Every other language based their spelling on the phonetic sound of the spoken word.

So we get to have words like trough, dough, tough, thought, fought, cough, and though.

Retards.

Actually, no...offhand, while Spanish is generally spelled phonetically, French emphatically is not! (Off the top of my head: parle, parles, parlet, and parlent are all pronounced the same.)

If we are looking at English as an official international language then the approach is flawed. English is not a very scientific language. For starters, it lacks consistency when it comes to describing sound. It heavily relies on context which leads to ambiguity. It will be tragic for humanity if English emerges as an official international language. However, it is at the moment a very practical and useful language skill to possess.

English is the worst language. The spelling is arbitrary and chosen by 18th century Anglican nerds who worshipped the Norman French aristocracy and so they wanted to retain the root spellings so that one could see which words came from the crude Germanic English vrs which came from the sophisticated French of the Norman ancestry.

Every other language based their spelling on the phonetic sound of the spoken word.

So we get to have words like trough, dough, tough, thought, fought, cough, and though.

Retards.

Actually, no...offhand, while Spanish is generally spelled phonetically, French emphatically is not! (Off the top of my head: parle, parles, parlet, and parlent are all pronounced the same.)

So it is the French who are responsible for screwing English.

The US is the only country that takes pride in their own ignorance. Other countries learn second and third languages and thus are able to compete on the world stage in ways we cannot.

I speak two other languages and have always been glad I do. I've used them when I have travelled and when I lived near our southern border.

We would be a lot better off if we could celebrate education and diversity instead of fearing it.

There are many (many!) benefits to learning a second language, but as a practical matter, is there as much reason for a native speaker of English in this day and age to learn another language(s) as there is for non-native speakers to learn English? Should we reassign the time used in schools today on mediocre foreign language instruction to further bolster math and science skills instead? Just for the sake of argument...

Yes, unless you are going to be in a situation where a foreign language will come in handy, and you may not know this until you are in college. you can get by speaking English in Europe and some other places. You should have to learn English if you are going to live in the United States. I have never agreed with being able to take a driving test in Spanish or another language.

You don't want to make sure other drivers understand the rules of the road completely and explicitly?

If you live in a country, you cam learn the rules of the road in that language. You will be a safer driver.

Sounds like you have never driven in other countries.

There are many (many!) benefits to learning a second language, but as a practical matter, is there as much reason for a native speaker of English in this day and age to learn another language(s) as there is for non-native speakers to learn English? Should we reassign the time used in schools today on mediocre foreign language instruction to further bolster math and science skills instead? Just for the sake of argument...

It hasn't helped you at all, idiot.

Don't you have a victim's support group meeting to attend?

Ah, does the little racist shit-for-brains Unkotare wanna huggy?.

No thanks. Go troll somewhere else, chickenshit.

Your ridiculous thread on how knowing two languages makes you superior to those who only knows one language blatantly RACIST.

That is no troll, pure FACT.

Speaking more than one language assists one in learning many things. The younger a child learns a second language, including ASL, the stronger their learning skills will be in the future.

Education always makes one superior to those without education. Used to be, Americans knew that.

Being more educated is not racist (what a silly comment that was above), just more educated, which will translate into a better, prosperous style of life, generally including longer lives that are more healthy than those who are not educated.

Yes, unless you are going to be in a situation where a foreign language will come in handy, and you may not know this until you are in college. you can get by speaking English in Europe and some other places. You should have to learn English if you are going to live in the United States. I have never agreed with being able to take a driving test in Spanish or another language.

You don't want to make sure other drivers understand the rules of the road completely and explicitly?

If you live in a country, you cam learn the rules of the road in that language. You will be a safer driver.

Sounds like you have never driven in other countries.

It hasn't helped you at all, idiot.

Don't you have a victim's support group meeting to attend?

Ah, does the little racist shit-for-brains Unkotare wanna huggy?.

No thanks. Go troll somewhere else, chickenshit.

Your ridiculous thread on how knowing two languages makes you superior to those who only knows one language blatantly RACIST.

That is no troll, pure FACT.

Speaking more than one language assists one in learning many things. The younger a child learns a second language, including ASL, the stronger their learning skills will be in the future.

Education always makes one superior to those without education. Used to be, Americans knew that.
I live in Ireland and sometimes drive on the continent. I believe that you should be able to function in the language of the country that you reside.

Retards.

So it is the French who are responsible for screwing English.

Blame the British for allowing themselves to be conquered so many times.

Forum List

Back