Native English Speakers

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
There are many (many!) benefits to learning a second language, but as a practical matter, is there as much reason for a native speaker of English in this day and age to learn another language(s) as there is for non-native speakers to learn English? Should we reassign the time used in schools today on mediocre foreign language instruction to further bolster math and science skills instead? Just for the sake of argument...

There are many (many!) benefits to learning a second language, but as a practical matter, is there as much reason for a native speaker of English in this day and age to learn another language(s) as there is for non-native speakers to learn English? Should we reassign the time used in schools today on mediocre foreign language instruction to further bolster math and science skills instead? Just for the sake of argument...

We learned more than just 'some' spanish in my high school, included was instruction on spanish culture. Certainly math and science should be a priority, but Florida has adopted funding policies that starve poor counties. Bake sales are organized so jkids can have school supplies........

We learned more than just 'some' spanish in my high school, included was instruction on spanish culture. Certainly math and science should be a priority, but Florida has adopted funding policies that starve poor counties. Bake sales are organized so jkids can have school supplies........

Careful, you can't have bake sales anymore if they don't comply with nanny state nutritional guidelines.

And, 'some' instruction on Spanish culture doesn't really change the question. If anything, that argues for the reassignment referenced in the OP (as a matter of speculation only).

Your point is clear and well-taken. English is the "necessary" language for those who want to either travel abroad or succeed. A problem for native-English speakers often is a matter of perceived arrogance on the part of others. I think that Spanish should be encouraged in areas where there are significant populations of Hispanics in the US for example, but otherwise it seems gratuitous to spend resources on education on languages that will be of little benefit to the student.

I must say that there are certain aspects of learning a foreign language that can help in understanding broad concepts of others and even of the English language itself, but likely not of enough value to pursue outside of extraordinary circumstances.

Did that Spanish culture include swimming de riiiber, refining cocaine, smuggling pot, shooting police,taking bribes and draining the US treasury? Mui bien señorita.

Did that Spanish culture include swimming de riiiber, refining cocaine, smuggling pot, shooting police,taking bribes and draining the US treasury? Mui bien señorita.
Congratulations in turning a serious discussion into a whine-fest.

No, more about the country of SPAIN. My teacher was born in the USA, of Spanish & Italian descent.

Yes, unless you are going to be in a situation where a foreign language will come in handy, and you may not know this until you are in college. you can get by speaking English in Europe and some other places. You should have to learn English if you are going to live in the United States. I have never agreed with being able to take a driving test in Spanish or another language.

Yes, unless you are going to be in a situation where a foreign language will come in handy, and you may not know this until you are in college. you can get by speaking English in Europe and some other places. You should have to learn English if you are going to live in the United States. I have never agreed with being able to take a driving test in Spanish or another language.

You don't want to make sure other drivers understand the rules of the road completely and explicitly?

You don't want to make sure other drivers understand the rules of the road completely and explicitly?
You must have often wondered how international drivers licences exist. I've driven through countries where I had no knowledge of their languages.

Your point is clear and well-taken. English is the "necessary" language for those who want to either travel abroad or succeed. A problem for native-English speakers often is a matter of perceived arrogance on the part of others. I think that Spanish should be encouraged in areas where there are significant populations of Hispanics in the US for example, but otherwise it seems gratuitous to spend resources on education on languages that will be of little benefit to the student.

I must say that there are certain aspects of learning a foreign language that can help in understanding broad concepts of others and even of the English language itself, but likely not of enough value to pursue outside of extraordinary circumstances.
On that, I wish years ago I would have continued Spanish as I work in home construction where I have to deal with many Latino's. Only know broken phrases. The local school district here only offers Spanish, French, and German to the current generation.
While Spanish is a good choice the latter two are rarely if never spoke here. Seems like a waste to offer the latter two. Maybe Russian and Chinese(Mandarin?) would be better offerings? As that is the larger population of immigrants, at least in my area.

You must have often wondered how international drivers licences exist. .

Not even for a minute.

On that, I wish years ago I would have continued Spanish as I work in home construction where I have to deal with many Latino's. Only know broken phrases. The local school district here only offers Spanish, French, and German to the current generation.
While Spanish is a good choice the latter two are rarely if never spoke here. Seems like a waste to offer the latter two. Maybe Russian and Chinese(Mandarin?) would be better offerings? As that is the larger population of immigrants, at least in my area.

Should foreign language instruction be offered based on the immigrant population of a given area?

Should foreign language instruction be offered based on the immigrant population of a given area?
I believe it would be helpful to both American born citizens and immigrants for the school districts to offer more realistic choices based upon current immigrant populations moving into a given area. More understanding of each others cultures and language leads to less conflict. JMO.

I believe it would be helpful to both American born citizens and immigrants for the school districts to offer more realistic choices based upon current immigrant populations moving into a given area. More understanding of each others cultures and language leads to less conflict. JMO.

Isn't that sort of like teaching them to work at the fast food joint next to the school? Isn't the goal of primary and secondary education a bit more far-reaching?

(X)Basically, each country on this planet has a certain language that they speak and that should be it. That is what makes countries unique from others. Once a country starts catering to other immigrant languages you are setting yourself up for problems, not to forget the money needed to cater to those other languages. Canada is suppose to be bilingual, yet it is not. There is quebec that speaks french and then there is the rest of Canada that speaks english. It has cost billions to Canada and Canadians to become bilingual just to please another part of the country that now does not even want to have anything to do with english language. This is what happens when one gives into a minority, they takeover. This could happen in America too where it would appear as though it will soon become a bilingual country where government services are now being translated into Spanish.The President, like Canadas Prime Minister, may have to know Spanish to become President. That is wrong. This is a big mistake as it will not only cause division and will cost billions a year to keep Spanish alive and thriving in America. America needs to stop it now before it goes any further. You are being warned. America has a language and culture, keep it alive and well.

(X)Basically, each country on this planet has a certain language that they speak and that should be it. .

But that is not it, has never been it, and never will be it.

Isn't that sort of like teaching them to work at the fast food joint next to the school? Isn't the goal of primary and secondary education a bit more far-reaching?
Yes it should be and at least here there are many offerings of college courses for students in the Jr. and Sr. High school level in Math and Science. However many children still slip through the cracks and I would have to defer to someone with more knowledge of the Education system and the CORE requirements to comment further on this.

The immigrants should be made to study English. For native-speaker of English the, study of other languages should be optional.

(X)Indeed, why should the host people of any country pay for others to learn the language of their adopted country? If one wants to immigrate to another country then learn their language, don't make the taxpayers of that country pay for it, like they do in Canada. Canada blows millions to teach others to learn and speak english. The rule should be that if any person wants to immigrate to America or Canada they should know english first. This should save the taxpayers of both countries a lot of money and where that money could go towards other needs in those countries. And thanks to multiculturalism, learning the hosts language is not deemed to be important anymore. We must now cater too their language and customs. Multiculturalism does not unite, it divides. Wakeup.

New Topics

Forum List

Back