Nation's Gun Lobby Creating News Company

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
The ban on campaign ads in the last two months of the election is, IMO, the most blatantly unconstitutional law ever. I applaud the NRA for taking this step, and hope that others will follow.

-------------------
Nation's Gun Lobby Creating News Company
By SHARON THEIMER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The National Rifle Association is creating a news corporation, starting an Internet talk show and preparing to buy a radio station to speak about candidates and gun rights at election time despite new political ad limits.

The 4 million-member gun lobby, looking for the same legal recognition as mainstream news organizations, says it has already hired its first reporter. NRANews.com was to start online broadcasts Friday.

The NRA is taking the step to operate free of political spending limits, hoping to use unlimited donations known as soft money to focus on gun issues and candidates' positions despite the law's restrictions on soft money-financed political ads close to elections.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=533&e=9&u=/ap/20040416/ap_on_re_us/nra_news

I tend to agree that the ban on campaign ads is unconstitutional though I think the heart of the law is in the right place. However, I find it laughable that the NRA would go to such lengths to try and buy elections.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
I tend to agree that the ban on campaign ads is unconstitutional though I think the heart of the law is in the right place. However, I find it laughable that the NRA would go to such lengths to try and buy elections.

acludem

How about the dems with their sham organizations like moveon.org? and the angel investor of the Democrat Plan for the Demise of America, inc., George Soros?

Thank you, RWA, that was exactly what I was about to say.

Nobody "buys" an election. For the NRA to support a pro-gun rights candidate is WHAT THEY ARE THERE TO DO. It's why there are special interest lobbying groups in the first place - a bunch of people got together to band their resources to lobby for laws that they want to see passed. For these groups to be banned from the political process is effectively banning all the "little guys" from politics. Only people like George Soros can afford to buy their own ads.

Forum List

Back