Nationality

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
What is it that makes you British or American or German or whatever ?

Is it place of birth, parentage, passport or any other thing ?

Is it shared values ?

Is it a feeling inside yourself ?

When do immigrants become of that nation in which they settle ?

Most of us can trace our family tree down many different by ways.

I am a mix of Welsh,English and Irish but I see myself as Welsh.

Is the Pakistani guy across the way less Welsh than me ? His kids go to a Welsh language school, he supports Wales in sporting events and he helps out with local charities.He was born in Wolverhampton and moved here years ago to start a business. He supports Pakistan in the cricket against England but most Welsh people do that. He sees himself as a mix but I see him as Welsh.

The Polish kids I went to school with were the children of second world war refugees. They stayed on after the war and made a life for themselves here. Their parents struggled a bit with communication but the kids had Welsh accents like us. They were part of our community even though they had to teach us how to pronounce their surnames.

What are you and why do you feel like that ?

For my dad, he was raised here as a child from the age of 5. He is essentially first generation. His parents (my grandparents) were the immigrants.

My grandparents naturalized (became citizens) as did my dad also. They all felt they were then Americans.

For me, I was born here. I am essentially 2nd generation.

My mom is an immigrant who also naturalized. She feels proud to be an American citizen and says she is "from Germany" but "not German anymore".

So I believe from this short anecdotal analysis that naturalization (becoming a citizen) is what does it.

However simply being a legal resident alien does not do it.

For me, hmmmmm. I\m a dual citizen of both the US and Canada currently residing in the Great White North. No that is not racist. It is Bob and Doug McKenzie.
bob_doug_hosers(2).jpg

What I have always loved about Canada vs the US is the attitude that we are all Canucks but we are a mosaic rather than a melting pot. And oddly we have no hyphenated (is that a word or did I just pull a Palin?) we have no hyphenated peoples.

We talk about our lineage in the past tense not like "african americans" for example who wouldn\t know a plantain if they were beaten about the head and neck of one.

:lol:

My lineage is Irish/Brit that's the Boone side of life that I brag on endlessly and Ukrainian really cool story on that one. My great grandfather came to the new world with three daughters one being my Baba and its one hell of a tale.

For me, hmmmmm. I\m a dual citizen of both the US and Canada currently residing in the Great White North. No that is not racist. It is Bob and Doug McKenzie.
bob_doug_hosers(2).jpg

What I have always loved about Canada vs the US is the attitude that we are all Canucks but we are a mosaic rather than a melting pot. And oddly we have no hyphenated (is that a word or did I just pull a Palin?) we have no hyphenated peoples.

We talk about our lineage in the past tense not like "african americans" for example who wouldn\t know a plantain if they were beaten about the head and neck of one.

My lineage is Irish/Brit that's the Boone side of life that I brag on endlessly and Ukrainian really cool story on that one. My great grandfather came to the new world with three daughters one being my Baba and its one hell of a tale.
I've seen you post that you are Native American

bob_doug_hosers(2).jpg

I've seen you post that you are Native American

Never.

Many because I've worked so closely with First Nations on water issues among many issues now for cripes decades on end believe some believe that I am. Only adopted:)

And I consider it a high honor. By several bands.Now with Metis.

And I champion causes on line.I guess like a modern day Hawkeye.

It is good. But I have never claimed status ever. And I go ballistic on those that do.:lol: You should see me in a Liz Warren thread.And why I went after Lakhota when I walked into this room.

I am very proudly a very weird mix. But not First Nations. Just very close and I treasure my relationship with more than a few.

Last edited:
Interesting question...what I can say - is every Latino person waving Mexican flags and insist on speaking Spanish..is not an American, or an "estranged American" at best if they were born here.
America IS supposed to be a melting pot...and when you melt items together, they COMBINE to create a new..singular mass. They become as one. A person entering our country, or any country, and insist on identifying another country - is not a member of the country they reside in.

bob_doug_hosers(2).jpg

I like the American concept of a melting pot better. America is an ideal, not a nation in the true sense of the word.

Canada has an official policy of multi-culturalism. I'm not against multi-culturalism per se - I love to travel and enjoy experiencing different cultures, both at home and abroad - but it can foster division in society, and I certainly do not think the government should be officially supporting it as a matter of policy. It inhibits the development of a national culture by encouraging people to hang on to the cultures and traditions from where they came, and weakens the institutions that support the country. There is a subconscious and reflexive bias in Canada to be skeptical of the US, mostly as a way to maintain a separate identity. I think this is where Canada's embrace of multi-culturalism comes from. "They're a melting pot so we'll be something different."

I think the "hyphenization" of the United States is due to the noble but misguided liberal attempt to right the wrongs of the past. There has been discrimination in the United States in the past - sometimes brutally - and there still is discrimination in the United States, and liberals want to change this. To right the wrongs of the past, the discriminated must first be identified, so liberals have done so, first with blacks, then with other groups. Politics, being what it is, brings identity politics as a method to capture economic advantage. This isn't good, and is a reason behind the rise of Donald Trump. But I certainly don't think America is more divided along ethnic lines than Canada.

But both are still better than Europe!

Is it shared values ?

Is the Pakistani guy across the way less Welsh than me ? His kids go to a Welsh language school, he supports Wales in sporting events and he helps out with local charities.He was born in Wolverhampton and moved here years ago to start a business. He supports Pakistan in the cricket against England but most Welsh people do that. He sees himself as a mix but I see him as Welsh.

The Polish kids I went to school with were the children of second world war refugees. They stayed on after the war and made a life for themselves here. Their parents struggled a bit with communication but the kids had Welsh accents like us. They were part of our community even though they had to teach us how to pronounce their surnames.

Where you were born at determines your nationality. If I was born in Canada I would be a Canadian and if I was born in Mexico I would be a Mexican. If I was born in Scotland I would be a Scot, etc.etc.

Interesting question...what I can say - is every Latino person waving Mexican flags and insist on speaking Spanish..is not an American, or an "estranged American" at best if they were born here.
America IS supposed to be a melting pot...and when you melt items together, they COMBINE to create a new..singular mass. They become as one. A person entering our country, or any country, and insist on identifying another country - is not a member of the country they reside in.

Yes and no.

I understand that people get irritated at Mexicans flying flags at political rallies, but Italians do it on Columbus Day. Here's the mayor of New York.

new-york-city-mayor-bill-de-blasio-marches-in-the-annual-columbus-day-picture-id457165644

And here is St. Patrick's Day with Irish flags.

MI+New+York+St+Patricks+Day+Parade+Dubliners+Getty.jpg

So if the Irish and Italians do it, why not Mexicans?

FTR, it's beyond stupid to not have your kid learn English living in the US.

Is it shared values ?

Where you were born at determines your nationality. If I was born in Canada I would be a Canadian and if I was born in Mexico I would be a Mexican. If I was born in Scotland I would be a Scot, etc.etc.

Many Europeans don't believe this. They think bloodlines determines nationality. This is the traditional concept of nationality. America changed it.

Is it shared values ?

Many Europeans don't believe this. They think bloodlines determines nationality. This is the traditional concept of nationality. America changed it.

I think the Mexican flag is a beautiful flag. It has an eagle holding a snake sitting on a cactus.

Yes and no.

I understand that people get irritated at Mexicans flying flags at political rallies, but Italians do it on Columbus Day. Here's the mayor of New York.

new-york-city-mayor-bill-de-blasio-marches-in-the-annual-columbus-day-picture-id457165644

There is a difference, obviously.
I am pretty sure you know the intent of what I am saying. Being proud of your heritage (mine German) is one thing...putting your former country before the one you live in - is another.

Yes and no.

You should see all the Canadian flags flying in Hollywood FL during snowbird season.

All kids that live in the US end up learning English. It's some of the older immigrants that struggle with learning English.

All kids that live in the US end up learning English. It's some of the older immigrants that struggle with learning English.

Nope...we have a pretty large latino population here...some have been here for years...no attempt to learn the language.
On the other hand, we also have a large Asian population here...they all speak english.

Nope...we have a pretty large latino population here...some have been here for years...no attempt to learn the language.
On the other hand, we also have a large Asian population here...they all speak english.
Where is here? Kids all learn English in school. I have never met a child that doesn't speak English in a short amount of time after becoming a resident of the US.

I think it depends on where the immigrants come from and where they are going.

This is why I contest that it's helpful if they immigrate/migrate to similar countries. Anyone from eastern/Western Europe, North America, Australia, and some Asian countries can pretty much easily transition to one another.

The issue becomes from these 3rd world hell holes try and invade where they don't belong and are set up to fail.

Is it shared values ?

Where you were born at determines your nationality. .....

That may be true of most countries, but the United States of America is something more.

Yes and no.

Because the Irish and the Italian do it for entirely different reason.
They do it to show their pride in their heritage and where they came from.
The Mexicans do it to show that they feel that part of the country still belongs to Mexico.

Lies and assumptions.

Yes and no.

Because the Irish and the Italian do it for entirely different reason.
They do it to show their pride in their heritage and where they came from.
The Mexicans do it to show that they feel that part of the country still belongs to Mexico.

Lies and assumptions.

Forum List

Back