Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Republican vs Democratic control of Congress

Rounded of to the nearest billion

1/22/01 Republican control of Congress...Debt 5,728,000,000,000
to)
1/20/07 Republican control of Congress...Debt 8,675,000,000,000

Increase in National Debt under Rep. Congress 2,947,000,000,000 (6yrs.)

1/21/07 Democratic control of Congress Debt 8,675,000,000,000
to)
Pres. National Debt Dem. controlled Congress Debt 12,111,000,000,000

Increase in National Debt under Dem. Congress 3,436,000,000,000 (3yrs.)

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

Since Congress controls spending, the only fair way to attribute a rise in national debt is to Congress. For some reason you may want to blame the President but the fact remains Congress spends the money.

Last edited:
Since Congress controls spending, the only fair way to attribute a rise in national debt is to Congress. For some reason you may want to blame the President but the fact remains Congress spends the money.
I've been trying to explain this to people for many years. "It's the Congress, stupid" is nicely starting to sink in now.

People either blame the President way too much or give him far too much credit. That's every President, all the time. Because it's easy, the intellectually lazy and emotional thing to do.

But unfortunately, the vast majority of Americans are both intellectually lazy and emotional. Or intellectually dishonest. Or all three. No matter the stripe or even lack of any stripe.

But, millions are starting to wise up.

Last edited:
I've been trying to explain this to people for many years. "It's the Congress, stupid" is nicely starting to sink in now.

So?

What's your point?

Congress is supposed to spend money. Spending is among the very first of the declared powers of Congress.
Is that your simpleton interpretation of Section 8? Or, have you even read it?

Congress is supposed to represent the people. When the people don't like the representation they have the right to remove them at the voting booth. But most everyone's focused on the President when the real power resides with Congress.

That's the point.

So?

What's your point?

Congress is supposed to spend money. Spending is among the very first of the declared powers of Congress.

Congress is not supposed to spend money.

Congress is not supposed to take our money and give it to others in the form of bribes and handouts. Democrats assume that our money is their money. That's why they call a tax-cut a loss.

They are supposed to be spend wisely not wastefully.

Figure the odds on that ever happening.

What has happened is the Democrats have figured out new and inventive ways to raise our taxes.

Last edited:
So?

What's your point?

That's the way I dumb-it-down for dimwits who don't understand it.

Congress is supposed to represent the people. When the people don't like the representation they have the right to remove them at the voting booth. But most everyone's focused on the President when the real power resides with Congress.

That's the point.

That may be but you're whining about spending. Regardless of who's responsible for it, it's what the government is supposed to do.

So?

What's your point?

That's the point.

That may be but you're whining about spending. Regardless of who's responsible for it, it's what the government is supposed to do.

I think right now the best thing they could do is nothing.:razz:

I think right now the best thing they could do is nothing.

Nothing?

Are you serious?

Are you seriously saying Congress and the President should just ignore the disaster wrought by almost 30 years of Conservative bungling of public policy. Our bridges just fall down. We have the 37th best health care system in the world. We have the highest percentage of starving children in the industrialized world. Are you seriously saying Congress and the President should do nothing?

So?

What's your point?

Congress is not supposed to spend money.

I'm assuming you've read Article 1, Section 8 of the US Constitution but just don't believe it.

Is that right?

Yes...I read it and I also know that taxation without representation was the primary reason we are a separate nation now.

I'm assuming you've read Article 1, Section 8 of the US Constitution but just don't believe it.

Is that right?

Yes...I read it and I also know that taxation without representation was the primary reason we are a separate nation now.

Why do you think you're not represented? Did your Representative and Senators just seize office without an election?

For yourself then. I see.

Try actually reading it.

I did.

I like this part best:
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States...

Is that right?

Why do you think you're not represented? Did your Representative and Senators just seize office without an election?

The election is over with.

They aren't listening to us anymore.

61% are against their health care plan give or take 5%...and they still insist on passing it.

Yes....there is an election coming up that will deal with this renegade Congress.

Try actually reading it.

I did.

I like this part best:
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States...
If their job is to spend, it's also their job to bankrupt the country?

You seem overly defensive about Congress. Seems a nerve has been struck!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Were you one of the simpleton idiots who was bitching about "Booooosh killed paygo" and are now defending Congress' total lack of interest in re-instating a paygo with some teeth?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Try actually reading it.

I did.

I like this part best:

You seem overly defensive about Congress. Seems a nerve has been struck!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Were you one of the simpleton idiots who was bitching about "Booooosh killed paygo" and are now defending Congress' total lack of interest in re-instating a paygo with some teeth?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Da funk are you doin up so early?

I did.

I like this part best:

Da funk are you doin up so early?
I'm always up early. Just very seldom post so early!

The election is over with.

They aren't listening to us anymore.

61% are against their health care plan give or take 5%...and they still insist on passing it.

Yes....there is an election coming up that will deal with this renegade Congress.

In a representative democracy we place our fate in the hands of representatives based on what we know or think we know about their values and beliefs. They don't have to react to every change of public opinion and may not but that doesn't mean they're not doing their jobs. They're responsible only for obeying the law not for making their constituents happy.

I did.

I like this part best:

You seem overly defensive about Congress. Seems a nerve has been struck!

Were you one of the simpleton idiots who was bitching about "Booooosh killed paygo" and are now defending Congress' total lack of interest in re-instating a paygo with some teeth?

Try again, dumbass. I like the idea of paying for everything...with taxes. Tax and spend is very good motto and one the Founders would have approved.

Forum List

Back