Nascar Champion Tony Stewart Is Cleared Of Charges After Running Over And Killing Fellow Driver

Vigilante

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2014
Waiting on the Cowardly Dante!!
UK Daily Mail ^

NASCAR champion Tony Stewart will reportedly not face charges in the death of fellow driver driver Kevin Ward Jr. Ward was hit and killed in a horrifying crash that was caught on film last month, but a grand jury decided today that they will not bring up charges against Stewart,TMZ reports. The case was handed to a grand jury earlier this month by Ontario County District Attorney Michael Tantillo, who made the decision to present the case after reviewing evidence of the tragic crash. Ward was fatally struck by Stewart while getting out of his car to confront the racing...

I watched some of the coverage of this decision. It seems the grand jury was most influenced by the tape of the event, which, after close analysis showed that Stewart did NOT swerve to scare Ward, and the fact that Ward was determined to be stoned (as well as cocky and stupid) at the time of the incident.

Ward's family will surely sue but it will be a difficult case to make. Better if they STFU and just grieve their loss and not try to make money out of it.

I hate that it happened, but like the death of Dale Earnhardt. It has already changed the sport. In ways I never thought I would see.

I do not believe the decision was ever in doubt. Unfortunately, the family feels that Tony has deep pockets and will go after him in civil court.
The the toxicology report back on their son, they need to slip quietly into the background and fade away.

The released video was very tough to tell what really happened. I imagine rescue workers and other eyewitnesses had a better view of what really happened.

The grand jury has subpoena power, and could ask anyone they wanted. They were satisfied that the curious swerving movement that everyone saw was the RESULT of hitting Ward, not CAUSED BY the hitting of Ward.

That's life. Usually when we do something really stupid we survive, but sometimes we don't. If all goes according to plan, the older you get, the less stupid stuff you do. Ward was still at the highly-stupid stage of his personal development. Probably why he was such a promising driver.

Forum List

Back