Napolitano: Illegal Immigration Is Not a Crime

Obama's cabinet picks are a disgrace. Imagine Obama's appointment to the Supreme Court. Let me see -- he could pick Bill Ayres or the Rev. Wright, two avowed American haters. They would make Ruth Buzzard Ginsberg look like Thomas Jefferson. His picks for cabinet members should be no surprise when the president was the most liberal member in the senate and has lived an ultra liberal life style. The United States has a cancer growing in the White House. The republicans will not stand up, so as far as I'm concerned we also have a cancer in the congress.

First of all, I can't stand this woman. But to be fair to her, I will say this: while it is illegal to come into this country without proper paperwork, can we really blame those who try? Most who come here illegally are trying to get out of a situation where they cannot provide for their families, and they are trying to better themselves in a country that may offer them some better opportunities. Most of these people are just looking for a better life which is not available to them in their own country.

Also, the idea of jailing them for crossing the border is idiotic. However, we should be doing more to send them back whenever possible.

How about doing more to keep them the fuck out you know like a 40 foot high concrete wall with armed Marines standing post on top? Then we wouldn't have to waste our time, money and resources on sending them back.

First of all, I can't stand this woman. But to be fair to her, I will say this: while it is illegal to come into this country without proper paperwork, can we really blame those who try? Most who come here illegally are trying to get out of a situation where they cannot provide for their families, and they are trying to better themselves in a country that may offer them some better opportunities. Most of these people are just looking for a better life which is not available to them in their own country.

Also, the idea of jailing them for crossing the border is idiotic. However, we should be doing more to send them back whenever possible.

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

so if I'm very very poor and have no money you cannot blame me for stealing money cause after all I'm only trying to provide for my family.. :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano stunned many listeners during an appearance on CNN when she asserted that illegal immigration is really not a crime.

In an interview with CNN’s John King last week, Napolitano discussed Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Ariz., a strict enforcer of immigration laws who says he wants illegal aliens to be prosecuted and jailed.

King said: “A lot of Democrats in Congress want you to investigate him. They think he is over the line. He says he is just enforcing the law and the problem is the federal government.”

Napolitano responded: “Sheriff Joe … knows that there aren’t enough law enforcement officers, courtrooms or jail cells in the world to do what he is saying.

“What we have to do is target the real evil-doers in this business, the employers who consistently hire illegal labor, the human traffickers who are exploiting human misery.

“And yes, when we find illegal workers, yes, appropriate action, some of which is criminal, most of that is civil, because crossing the border is not a crime per se. It is civil. But anyway, going after those as well.”

Newsmax.com - DHS Chief Napolitano: Illegal Immigration Is Not a Crime
-----

Why does she still have a job?

Someone clear this one up for me. When is "illegal" not "criminal"? I'm sure there's probably a legal distinction. I'm equally sure it's a bunch of bulllshit. Anyone know?
Civil law, as opposed to criminal law, refers to that branch of law dealing with disputes between individuals and/or organizations, in which compensation may be awarded to the victim. For instance, if a car crash victim claims damages against the driver for loss or injury sustained in an accident, this will be a civil law case.[1]

Civil Law in contrast to Criminal Law, Martial Law, Administrative Law and International Law

See also: Private law
In the common law, civil law refers to the area of laws that affect the legal status of individuals. Civil law, in this sense, is usually referred to in comparison to criminal law, which is that body of law involving the state against individuals (including incorporated organizations) where the state relies on the power given it by statutory law. Civil law may also be compared to military law, administrative law and constitutional law (the laws governing the political and law making process), and international law. Where there are legal options for causes of action by individuals within any of these areas of law, it is thereby civil law.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_law_(private_law)

Basically, if you sue me for damages because I ran over your mailbox, I might be guilty and have to replace your mail box, but that doesn't make me a criminal.

Technically illegals aren't actually illegal until they have their immigration hearing and are judged as such.

I think her point is that putting people in jail for civil infractions is retarded. And calling them criminals is as well...unless they are guilty of id fraud or some other criminal act.

Kinda like swimming with retards, eh? Everyone's laughing, having fun and too conscientious to say anything for fear of offending someone.

Now that's CHANGE you can believe in!!!

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano stunned many listeners during an appearance on CNN when she asserted that illegal immigration is really not a crime.

In an interview with CNN’s John King last week, Napolitano discussed Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Ariz., a strict enforcer of immigration laws who says he wants illegal aliens to be prosecuted and jailed.

King said: “A lot of Democrats in Congress want you to investigate him. They think he is over the line. He says he is just enforcing the law and the problem is the federal government.”

Napolitano responded: “Sheriff Joe … knows that there aren’t enough law enforcement officers, courtrooms or jail cells in the world to do what he is saying.

“What we have to do is target the real evil-doers in this business, the employers who consistently hire illegal labor, the human traffickers who are exploiting human misery.

“And yes, when we find illegal workers, yes, appropriate action, some of which is criminal, most of that is civil, because crossing the border is not a crime per se. It is civil. But anyway, going after those as well.”

-----

Someone clear this one up for me. When is "illegal" not "criminal"? I'm sure there's probably a legal distinction. I'm equally sure it's a bunch of bulllshit. Anyone know?
Civil law, as opposed to criminal law, refers to that branch of law dealing with disputes between individuals and/or organizations, in which compensation may be awarded to the victim. For instance, if a car crash victim claims damages against the driver for loss or injury sustained in an accident, this will be a civil law case.[1]

Civil Law in contrast to Criminal Law, Martial Law, Administrative Law and International Law

In the common law, civil law refers to the area of laws that affect the legal status of individuals. Civil law, in this sense, is usually referred to in comparison to criminal law, which is that body of law involving the state against individuals (including incorporated organizations) where the state relies on the power given it by statutory law. Civil law may also be compared to military law, administrative law and constitutional law (the laws governing the political and law making process), and international law. Where there are legal options for causes of action by individuals within any of these areas of law, it is thereby civil law.

Basically, if you sue me for damages because I ran over your mailbox, I might be guilty and have to replace your mail box, but that doesn't make me a criminal.

Technically illegals aren't actually illegal until they have their immigration hearing and are judged as such.

I think her point is that putting people in jail for civil infractions is retarded. And calling them criminals is as well...unless they are guilty of id fraud or some other criminal act.

It cost me nearly $3000 to immigrate "legally". It pisses me off that others can do it for nothing. I don't want them put in jail (the jails are crowded enough already and our taxes pay for them). I want them sent home.

Ravi....i know this is going to be hard for one with a very limited outlook on what a law is.....if the LAW says its ILLEGAL to cross the border WITHOUT going through the proper channels and you cross anyway....now get ready,this is the tough part....ITS ILLEGAL AND YOU HAVE VIOLATED THAT LAW.....and hence you are ILLEGAL.....hearing or not.....

-----

Being sued for damages and having a ruling against you does not make you a criminal - although illegals have committed a crime - the hearing determines their status, if they are not deported.

Last edited:
Ya cause one guy proves the point. Remind us again how ONE guy proves the point but THOUSANDS of Muslim Arabs are just a disgruntled few.

One? I am trying to figure out why Timothy isn't the patron saint of the far right? Or maybe he is? He went after the government you all criticize so often, government of course was common people and collateral damage was significant, but hey it is that big bad government, right? Disgruntled Muslims are irrelevant to this discussion.

yes, like Bill Ayres is the patron saint of your dipshit leader? like that DUmmie?

-----

Get a grip on reality Ravi! You are a criminal the minute you commit a crime! The minute you break a US law you are a criminal. You are not a convicted criminal until you get convicted of the crime. It is ILLEGAL to immigrate to this country, as well all countries, without going through the correct processing and naturalization. The minute the illegal takes step to ILLEGALLY immigrate to this country, they become CRIMINALS, since they are breaking US laws that are on the books! It is called ILLEGAL IMMIGRATIONS because there are laws on the books that make it ILLEGAL! Its not rocket science, well unless you are a leftist or have no education like Napolitano!

By your backwards thinking a murderer hasn't commit a crime, until he is caught and put on trial! Ingenious!

Please, someone take the Department away from this lightweight. She is dangerously out of her depth. It's scary to think she was even a governor!

Do you Dems really claim her? and support her?

Here's what a liberal from Canada said about her:

Liberal MP John McKay, who was at the conference, said Napolitano's comments alarmed him.

"If you are, in fact, negotiating a managed border, and your negotiating partner believes a set of mythology, then you have problems," he said "You try to work on the basis of fact, not on the basis of myth."

Yeah, it's actually really funny, I saw it on the news the other day that apparently Napolitano and John McCain both kept claiming that some of the 9/11 terrorists came through Canada, so the Canadian media has sort of been on a total war against them, because it's a complete lie.

Get a grip on reality Ravi! You are a criminal the minute you commit a crime! The minute you break a US law you are a criminal. You are not a convicted criminal until you get convicted of the crime. It is ILLEGAL to immigrate to this country, as well all countries, without going through the correct processing and naturalization. The minute the illegal takes step to ILLEGALLY immigrate to this country, they become CRIMINALS, since they are breaking US laws that are on the books! It is called ILLEGAL IMMIGRATIONS because there are laws on the books that make it ILLEGAL! Its not rocket science, well unless you are a leftist or have no education like Napolitano!

By your backwards thinking a murderer hasn't commit a crime, until he is caught and put on trial! Ingenious!

I was under the impression Ravi was trying to clarify the legal distinction between the 2 (in response to my request), not agreeing with it.

I was under the impression Ravi was trying to clarify the legal distinction between the 2 (in response to my request), not agreeing with it.
I do agree with it, though. In my country, you are innocent until proven guilty...but that isn't actually the point Neo was trying to make. She was just pointing out that it was stupid to put people guilty of civil infractions in jail.

IIRC, if you are of questionable documentation you have to go before an immigration hearing. Sometimes the person accused goes to a "camp" and sometimes they are released if they aren't considered a flight risk.

I didn't answer your original post because it seemed off topic, but I have to say, $3000 is a small price to pay for becoming an American and I think most illegals would pay it in a heart beat. You were lucky, since you are married to an American.

Big problem with having millions of people wanting to become Americans and only 120,000 openings per year.

Big problem with having millions of people wanting to become Americans and only 120,000 openings per year.

I agree. What I'm not seeing from anyone in position of power is a realistic increase in the number of legal immigrants we'd allow from Mexico/South/Central Americas, while controlling our border. There needs to be recognition that the Americas count, X number for unskilled and X number for skilled. And yes, there is a plethora of skilled, i.e. university educated in sciences, southern cousins.

I agree. What I'm not seeing from anyone in position of power is a realistic increase in the number of legal immigrants we'd allow from Mexico/South/Central Americas, while controlling our border. There needs to be recognition that the Americas count, X number for unskilled and X number for skilled. And yes, there is a plethora of skilled, i.e. university educated in sciences, southern cousins.

We wouldn't have that problem if we did a few common sense things:
(1) Absolutely protect the border and punish to the teeth any employer, city or landlord that give sanctuary to illegals
(2) Create a valid and workable guest worker program. Face illegals are employed for a reason!
(3) KILL the counter-productive birth-right clause of the 14th amendment
(4) Secure the ports

Second, she is doing NOTHING to curb illegal immigration.

Now why would she, when she said

That was in her interview with CNN's John King last week, responding to questions about Sheriff Joe.

The statute reads: “Any alien who enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers . . . shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both.”

As the Scarecrow, in the Wizard of Oz, said, "Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking."

Forum List

Back