My wifes transmission went out today.

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
It's a trailbazer and it's got 215k on it and it took a dump on her on the way to work today. IT just races up when it shifts to third. Now I gotta fix it and I'll have to work the first part of the week. Oh well, life's what happens when you're making other plans! :)

Last edited:
  • Banned
Naw, I gotta fix it, it still runs good.

I'm sure they aren't exactly the same, but mine went out exactly like that, and it was just a relay inside the transmission. A $125 relay, but still, just a relay.

• Banned
I'm sure they aren't exactly the same, but mine went out exactly like that, and it was just a relay inside the transmission. A $125 relay, but still, just a relay.
Thanks, but this is an internal failure. I wish that's all it was.

It's a trailbazer and it's got 215k on it and it took a dump on her on the way to work today. IT just races up when it shifts to third. Now I gotta fix it and I'll have to work the first part of the week. Oh well, life's what happens when you're making other plans! :)
That sounds like an expensive problem! :(

• Banned
The 3-4 clutch has failed. It's a typical problem on that type of trans (4L60). I've already got it apart, and I'm gonna start rebuilding it tomorrow. Since I can do it all myself, maybe 500 worth of parts and all.

The 3-4 clutch has failed. It's a typical problem on that type of trans (4L60). I've already got it apart, and I'm gonna start rebuilding it tomorrow. Since I can do it all myself, maybe 500 worth of parts and all.
Thank goodness you are able to do it. That is a great savings. I had an RX-7 that the transmission was going out so I sold it!

Sounds like you've got a lot of experience working on trannies.

snort

Great that economy is up and you can afford this.

The economy and my experience has nothing to do with this.

It likely would have failed even if it wasn't a tranny.
tranny.jpg

FYI, the trans in the picture is a 4L60, the kind I have.

Well, 600+ dollars worth of parts and it's back on the road! Soon as I finish letting it re-learn how to shift, it'll all be good!

It's a pita the pull the trans out for two reasons: The starter is next to impossible to get off and on, and one cross member bolt that I had to cut off because GM won't change its orientation.

Forum List

Back