My grass is a foot high in some places

Weeds popping up through my crushed rock are about a foot tall. Fortunately the Javelina find them tasty, so I'm counting on them to take care of it.
Oh good Lord Almighty, have we got weeds up here! Most of them have flowers. The only thing we can do is embrace them! Almost immediately after we see green grass showing, the entire yard turns to a bright, cheerful yellow...DANDELIONS! Then after the dandelions comes the daisies....daisies everywhere... Even the dirt driveway, in every garden around the house edge and even in the middle of the lawn...then of course the clover with white pom poms, and then these wild beach roses...you can not kill them...they smell great but they decide where they are going to live...and that's that, by rock boulders, in the lawn under trees, you can mow over them and a month later it is back there....

When we lived in Massachusetts, in a suburb, all us neighbors competed for the best yard and gardens... The hubby used some Scott's product to kill the dandelions and green the lawn......

Up here in Maine around where we live, we just have to embrace the weeds and see the beauty in them! We don't want to use poisons that might harm the animal friends we have who eat the weeds!😁

Oh good Lord Almighty, have we got weeds up here! Most of them have flowers. The only thing we can do is embrace them! Almost immediately after we see green grass showing, the entire yard turns to a bright, cheerful yellow...DANDELIONS! Then after the dandelions comes the daisies....daisies everywhere... Even the dirt driveway, in every garden around the house edge and even in the middle of the lawn...then of course the clover with white pom poms, and then these wild beach roses...you can not kill them...they smell great but they decide where they are going to live...and that's that, by rock boulders, in the lawn under trees, you can mow over them and a month later it is back there....

When we lived in Massachusetts, in a suburb, all us neighbors competed for the best yard and gardens... The hubby used some Scott's product to kill the dandelions and green the lawn......

Up here in Maine around where we live, we just have to embrace the weeds and see the beauty in them! We don't want to use poisons that might harm the animal friends we have who eat the weeds!😁
I totally agree on weed sprays! The houses in my area have 1 to 2 acre lots so it's a mixed bag of sprayers and non-sprayers. I don't understand why people still use Round-Up after all the lawsuits. I never put up a fence because we enjoy seeing the wildlife mosey into the yard and munch on whatever is growing at the time.

None of the weeds around here look pretty; I use the weed spray every year. I've used Roundup, it's okay along fence lines, but I use strong vinegar on the vines and tree roots, as it works a lot better at killing those. I get the 30% kind, so I use gloves, glasses, and chem resistant leggings when handling it.

Glyphosate is the only thing that will take out a lot of weeds and woody growth. Stuff like honeysuckle or mulberry laughs at other weed killers. 20% glyphosate sprayed on a freshly cut stump will ensure that any woody thing stays dead and doesn't resprout.

It doesn't cause cancer or hurt the environment. The attacks on it are bad science, pushed by ambulance-chasers. I'd call glyphosate one of the greatest inventions of the 20th century, as it allowed for vastly expanded food production that saved millions of people from starvation.

That reminds me, I have to go spray the Star-of-Bethlehem clumps with glyphosate. Pretty stuff, but invasive.

My lazy neighbor has cinquefoil all over his lawn and that stuff keeps creeping into my lawn.

Every year it's a struggle keeping that stuff at bay.

I've half a mind to roundup his entire lawn on this side.I won't, of course. But I've seriously thought about it. lol...

I may be pulling out the snowblower tomorrow night depending on how the storm hits. Expect about a foot here with over 18" in northern MN.

Mowing seems a long way off again. It was in the sixties a few days ago.
March is crazy weather here.

I've mowed twice. Once to get it going and then this week so it will look tolerable this weekend. My city can be selective Nazis if you let it get too long, but I have been letting it go longer than I did in the past. Mow about half as often last couple years.

I may be pulling out the snowblower tomorrow night depending on how the storm hits. Expect about a foot here with over 18" in northern MN.

Mowing seems a long way off again. It was in the sixties a few days ago.
March is crazy weather here.
we still have snow! lol

Forum List

Back