Zone1 “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

Perhaps Jesus thought he would be risen from the cross. When that didn’t happen, he questioned God and got punished by having to die, be entombed and wait to be risen.
Except Jesus knew he would be entombed for three days before rising.

From a Catholic homily:

Remember in Exodus how fiery snakes were causing sickness and death among the Israelites? God had Moses fashion a snake and hold it up. Those who looked up at the graven snake were saved. They had to look at what put them in danger in order to be healed.

In the same way, we see Jesus giving his life for all sins. We are healed, by looking up at Jesus bearing all sins. Just as looking at Moses' image of a poisonous snake removed the poison from those bitten, so does our looking at our own sins that Christ bore, provides us healing from the poison of our sins.

I like it!

Isaiah 63:3
3 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment.

Doctrine and Covenants 76:107
107 When he shall deliver up the kingdom, and present it unto the Father, spotless, saying: I have overcome and have trodden the wine-press alone, even the wine-press of the fierceness of the wrath of Almighty God.

It may very well be that the atonement of Christ needed to be accomplished by the Christ alone. Maybe for this reason, the Father withdrew his spirit for a time to let the Christ fully own the atonement himself. For this reason Jesus exclaims that he has trodden the winepress ALONE. He alone owns the suffering and pain of the atonement and He has overcome the demands of justice and brought mercy upon the truly repentant.

I don't think so. It's obvious that Jesus was speaking of the fulfillment of the prophecies is Psalms that were shared here.
As Jehovah seeing into the future, yes. I agree. However, he did not see into the future upon how he would die. Jehovah is not His Father. Jehovah is Jesus.

As Jehovah seeing into the future, yes. I agree. However, he did not see into the future upon how he would die. Jehovah is not His Father. Jehovah is Jesus.

Are you a Jehova's Witness?

He became sin in our stead. Only God (Jesus is God) knows what to do to wipe out sin. Jesus saying Why have you abandoned me means that He felt ALL of OUR own abandonment/separation from God, to the depths of his being.

I almost always feel separated from God until I am in the Real Presence in the Catholic Church.

His spiritual alienation on the cross made him fully man, devoid of divinity, forsaken, just as lost and hopeless as any other man. He became a curse. He became sin (2 Cor 5:21). This alienation was in the plans; in reciting a prophecy about himself, Jesus said that he had come to pour his soul out to death (Lk 22:37; cf. Is 53:12). He had to die in Spirit to meet mankind where mankind resided.

Like David in his twenty-second Psalm, Jesus was a man without the Father. He called out not to his Father, but to God. He was a curse, though not physically, unless we say that God erred in His creation of nature. He was not accursed before his crucifixion; he was not a curse in body. On that cross, when he bore the sins of Israel, he was a spiritual curse. But then, as with David, the estrangement from God ended. “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!” he proclaimed as he drew his last breath (Lk 23:46).

His spiritual alienation on the cross made him fully man, devoid of divinity, forsaken, just as lost and hopeless as any other man. He became a curse. He became sin (2 Cor 5:21). This alienation was in the plans; in reciting a prophecy about himself, Jesus said that he had come to pour his soul out to death (Lk 22:37; cf. Is 53:12). He had to die in Spirit to meet mankind where mankind resided.

Like David in his twenty-second Psalm, Jesus was a man without the Father. He called out not to his Father, but to God. He was a curse, though not physically, unless we say that God erred in His creation of nature. He was not accursed before his crucifixion; he was not a curse in body. On that cross, when he bore the sins of Israel, he was a spiritual curse. But then, as with David, the estrangement from God ended. “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!” he proclaimed as he drew his last breath (Lk 23:46).
I understood-and appreciated--the first paragraph, do not understand the last one

?

Forum List

Back