My Fellow Americans...

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
...seems to be and increasingly meaningless platitude. Whom are  your fellow Ameicans? What makes them your Fellows? Some folks look around at the the current state of political discourse, and whine about "the wingers" Left, or Right; and simplistically chalk it up to some form of extremism. I believe it's more a matter of distillation, than extremism.

Both sides decreasing share any overlap if beliefs. Whether it be type, or size of government, social values, morality, economics, nationalism, patriotism. And on, and on. So it begs the question. Whom is one really talking about when they utter the phrase "my fellow Americans"?

What got me thinking more in depth about this simple question, was a simple one liner from an upcoming film. But I think it brilliantly encapsulates the mind set of a great many, if not most Americans...

Screenshot_20231221_045400_Google.jpg

Last edited:
...seems to be and increasingly meaningless platitude. Whom are  your fellow Ameicans? What makes them your Fellows? Some folks look around athe the current state of political discourse, and whine about "the wingers" Left, or Right; and simplistically chalk it up to some form of extremism. I believe it's more a matter of distillation, than extremism.

Both sides decreasing share any overlap if beliefs. Wether it be type, or size of government, social values, morality, economics, nationalism, patriotism. And on, and on. So it begs the question. Whom is one really talking about when they utter the phrase "my fellow Americans"?

What got me thinking more in depth about this simple question, was a simple one liner from an upcoming film. But I think it brilliantly encapsulates the mind set of a great many, if not most Americans?

View attachment 876541
"My fellow Americans," ~ ...seems to be and increasingly meaningless platitude. Whom are  your fellow Ameicans?

My favorite Americans are those who believe in and are saved by our dear Father God, the Holy Ghost, and/or Savior Christ. The Trinity is rejected by some, and championed by others. Other Americans who serve others in some large or small way are also "my favorite Americans." Those who would bring in traitors to damage in any way the rights to life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness, the Constitution, and/or damn the pledge of allegiance to their fellow Americans are not only ignored by me, because I don't care for that stuff. It is my belief that after an American President shows he keeps his oath of office to provide for the common defense, we have a responsibility to help defend our fellow Americans by assisting him. A President who does not provide for the common defense of the American people is a very useless human being and should be handed a pink slip.

...seems to be and increasingly meaningless platitude. Whom are  your fellow Ameicans? What makes them your Fellows? Some folks look around at the the current state of political discourse, and whine about "the wingers" Left, or Right; and simplistically chalk it up to some form of extremism. I believe it's more a matter of distillation, than extremism.

Both sides decreasing share any overlap if beliefs. Whether it be type, or size of government, social values, morality, economics, nationalism, patriotism. And on, and on. So it begs the question. Whom is one really talking about when they utter the phrase "my fellow Americans"?

What got me thinking more in depth about this simple question, was a simple one liner from an upcoming film. But I think it brilliantly encapsulates the mind set of a great many, if not most Americans...

View attachment 876541
"my fellow americans " is a rhetorical device designed (when used sparingly) as a call for unity in the spirit of "e pluribus unum." i suspect you will never understand.

"if we do not hang together we will most assuredly hang separately" franklin.

"my fellow americans " is a rhetorical device designed (when used sparingly) as a call for unity in the spirit of "e pluribus unum." i suspect you will never understand.

"if we do not hang together we will most assuredly hang separately" franklin.
Interesting. Especially the final quote. That really touches on yet another glaring disparity. That being what, or whom folks deem to be a threat...

"My fellow Americans," ~ ...seems to be and increasingly meaningless platitude. Whom are  your fellow Ameicans?

My favorite Americans are those who believe in and are saved by our dear Father God, the Holy Ghost, and/or Savior Christ. The Trinity is rejected by some, and championed by others. Other Americans who serve others in some large or small way are also "my favorite Americans." Those who would bring in traitors to damage in any way the rights to life, liberty, or the pursuit of happiness, the Constitution, and/or damn the pledge of allegiance to their fellow Americans are not only ignored by me, because I don't care for that stuff. It is my belief that after an American President shows he keeps his oath of office to provide for the common defense, we have a responsibility to help defend our fellow Americans by assisting him. A President who does not provide for the common defense of the American people is a very useless human being and should be handed a pink slip.

Well said, fellow American!

Interesting. Especially the final quote. That really touches on yet another glaring disparity. That being what, or whom folks deem to be a threat...
there we have it.; right now the "right" is shaking their rattles. they will be sent scurrying into their holes, but meanwhile, the potential for destruction is there.

there we have it.; right now the "right" is shaking their rattles. they will be sent scurrying into their holes, but meanwhile, the potential for destruction is there.
This is hardly a one sided affair. Not even close...

View attachment 876541
I guess I feel we are all in this together so all citizens of the United States are 'my fellow Americans." But we are in no way monolithic in our attitudes toward our country.

There are those who understand the concepts the country was founded on, the reasons that the USA became the most exceptional, amazing, free, prosperous, successful country in the history of the world. They understand that its history, the good and bad, is part of who and what we are as a people. That we corrected many of our mistakes, often at great cost, and learned from them as well as what has been successful. Such people embrace the values and concepts that made us the great nation we became. Such people are invariably assets to their families, communities, and maybe even in a very small way, the world. And they tend to be happy individuals.

And there are others who accept all the benefits that their country offers but hold it in contempt and sneer at the very concepts that resulted in those benefits. Which is really sad.

"My fellow Americans" is a phrase used by the president to indicate that he is not royalty but just a fellow American. I wouldn't get excited about it.

Forum List

Back