"My elbow hurts"

Today, a patient came in for evaluation for elbow pain. It wasn't too bad and only hurt when he did certain things. He found that tylenol was helpful.

For a moment, I paused and contemplated the weirdness of the situation.

Here, I had a guy with mild tennis elbow, when elsewhere, this is happening...

04.medical.afp.gi.jpg

But...I did my job.

Isolate the wrist to allow the tendon to heal.

I wonder how many Hatians from other parts of Haiti not hit by the quake are helping those impacted?
This appears to be part of the problem. Early in the destruction of an earthquake we see in other earthquake sites people tossing brick using their hands. That's the quickest way to dislodge brick and masonry from on top of victims. But what we saw was people walking around not really getting involved in helping their own situation. When heavy equipment is used to lift fallen masonry debris, a whole lot of damage is done to human tissue, as heavy material falls from the load and weight loads shift aside; not a good way to uncover people who may only be protected by being in an isolated cavity where weight has at least stabilized.

On Fox News Channel I saw a person who was part of a group which had been buried for days before being rescued. They said that early in their experience they made a lot of noise until someone heard them. The person asked if they were injured. They answered, that yes, some of them were injured, to please help them. They person went away never to return. They were there several more days until others came along and discovered them.

In Haiti, or at least Port-au-Prince there seems to be a troubling acceptance of their situation and a reticence to act in their own behalf. This does not appear to me to be a racial tendency, because during similar events in Africa, we have seen people jumping in and tirelessly working in tandem to uncover buried victims.

Here, in the capital city, there seems to be an attitude of getting out of the way to ‘let others do it.’

Last edited:
I don't ask that you believe.

No, and I wouldn't have had you.

I mean you could put on a little better show... you could have referred to "tennis elbow" by it's clinical name, which is "lateral epicondylitis," or a doctor may call it "medial epicondylitis," and you could have sounded more like a real doctor.

Just sayin'... if you're going to perpetuate an imaginary image, do it up right. But, that may also include taking some time off here and appear to be "working."

"Tennis elbow" is a clinical name. I've heard the term many times as a medical student. I've also heard "golfer's elbow", "housemaid's knee", "saturday night palsy" and several other terms that are left over from days of yore.

Most people on an internet message board don't even know what an epicondyle is, but most everyone knows what "tennis elbow" is, so I don't see your point.

My point was simple enough for a fourth grader to understand it. Sorry it went over your head.

No, and I wouldn't have had you.

I mean you could put on a little better show... you could have referred to "tennis elbow" by it's clinical name, which is "lateral epicondylitis," or a doctor may call it "medial epicondylitis," and you could have sounded more like a real doctor.

Just sayin'... if you're going to perpetuate an imaginary image, do it up right. But, that may also include taking some time off here and appear to be "working."

"Tennis elbow" is a clinical name. I've heard the term many times as a medical student. I've also heard "golfer's elbow", "housemaid's knee", "saturday night palsy" and several other terms that are left over from days of yore.

Most people on an internet message board don't even know what an epicondyle is, but most everyone knows what "tennis elbow" is, so I don't see your point.

My point was simple enough for a fourth grader to understand it. Sorry it went over your head.

You're point was asinine. Don't flatter yourself about it going over anyone's head. So the fact that someone uses a common parlance, as opposed to a strict medical definition, on a non-medical board is your smoking gun?

Yeah, whatever.

BTW, I just got out of Rheum clinic were we injected someone in the "trigger finger". That's how it was written up.

Finally, since we haven't spoken in a while:

A.) I am glad you decided to come back.
B.) How is your birther movement coming along?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back