"My elbow hurts"

my donation was not huge i assure you....very little money here....i know the needs of this country seem overwhelming....and one feels like its all just a drop in the bucket....

but remember pixie's sign line.....

about helping angels and not knowing it....

Those people will need new buildings not food.

Damn right...

03.hillside.afp.gi.jpg

24.jpg

I've no patience for doctors who get paid well to do what they're doing, then sneer at their patients for coming in for various and assorted ailments. \

I had a doctor get after me for bringing my infant into the ER over the weekend when she developed a severe and sudden rash over her entire body. Meningitis was going around at the time, her cousin had had it and had to learn to walk again at the age of 7, and I was terrified she'd picked it up (I didn't know at that time that the rash of meningitis looks a little different). Not only that, allergic reactions can kill...and the doctor was snotty to me over bringing my 6 wk old baby in for "an emergency rash". What a buttfuck.

After that she had a cough and because of that lovely experience, I put off taking her in for a while because otherwise she was fine and I didn't want to jump the gun. Finally I took her in for something else, and as it turns out her O2 levels were so low they brought in the O2, started nebulizing her on the spot and we were seconds away from rolling her to the hospital. She had that upper respiratory infection that was so hard on babies a while back. I had to nebulize her for 20 minutes every two hours for MONTHS.

I've no patience for doctors who get paid well to do what they're doing, then sneer at their patients for coming in for various and assorted ailments.

I hope you didn't think I was sneering. My patient had a legit complaint and needed my advise and treatment.

I was more pointing out the fact that I juxtaposed my thoughts of this patient with the people of Haiti, and realized how lucky we are if we only have a case of tennis elbow.

(However, I do get peeved when patients go to the Emergency room for a cold, especially when my office is open and I have time to fit them in. The typical patient to do this is a Medicaid patient, as there is no disincentive for them to do this...so the state ends up paying 5-10 times more for the same service.)

I've no patience for doctors who get paid well to do what they're doing, then sneer at their patients for coming in for various and assorted ailments. \

I had a doctor get after me for bringing my infant into the ER over the weekend when she developed a severe and sudden rash over her entire body. Meningitis was going around at the time, her cousin had had it and had to learn to walk again at the age of 7, and I was terrified she'd picked it up (I didn't know at that time that the rash of meningitis looks a little different). Not only that, allergic reactions can kill...and the doctor was snotty to me over bringing my 6 wk old baby in for "an emergency rash". What a buttfuck.

After that she had a cough and because of that lovely experience, I put off taking her in for a while because otherwise she was fine and I didn't want to jump the gun. Finally I took her in for something else, and as it turns out her O2 levels were so low they brought in the O2, started nebulizing her on the spot and we were seconds away from rolling her to the hospital. She had that upper respiratory infection that was so hard on babies a while back. I had to nebulize her for 20 minutes every two hours for MONTHS.

According to some HC statisticians, iatrogenesis is the 4th leading killer in the USA.

Doctors like yours are likely responsible for that sad stat.

Today, a patient came in for evaluation for elbow pain. It wasn't too bad and only hurt when he did certain things. He found that tylenol was helpful.

For a moment, I paused and contemplated the weirdness of the situation.

Here, I had a guy with mild tennis elbow, when elsewhere, this is happening...

But...I did my job.

Tell me xo... how is it you have time to treat patients? Most real doctors I know work 12 hour plus days, and to the contrary, you're logged on here for 16 hours a day posting away. 12,000+ posts in less than a year? That takes an enormous amount of time spent on here. When is it exactly do you have time to treat anybody?

I'm sorry buddy, but I don't buy this charade that you're doctor anymore than I believe "Dr" Grump is.

Today, a patient came in for evaluation for elbow pain. It wasn't too bad and only hurt when he did certain things. He found that tylenol was helpful.

But...I did my job.

Tell me xo... how is it you have time to treat patients? Most real doctors I know work 12 hour plus days, and to the contrary, you're logged on here for 16 hours a day posting away. 12,000+ posts in less than a year? That takes an enormous amount of time spent on here. When is it exactly do you have time to treat anybody?

I'm sorry buddy, but I don't buy this charade that you're doctor anymore than I believe "Dr" Grump is.

I don't ask that you believe.

But...I did my job.

No, and I wouldn't have had you.

I mean you could put on a little better show... you could have referred to "tennis elbow" by it's clinical name, which is "lateral epicondylitis," or a doctor may call it "medial epicondylitis," and you could have sounded more like a real doctor.

Just sayin'... if you're going to perpetuate an imaginary image, do it up right. But, that may also include taking some time off here and appear to be "working."

Last edited:

I mean you could put on a little better show... you could have referred to "tennis elbow" by it's clinical name, which is "lateral epicondylitis," and you may have sounded more like a real doctor.

Just sayin'... if you're going to perpetuate an imaginary image, do it up right. But, that may also include taking some time off here and appear to be "working."

You're right! I could have called it lateral epicondylitis. DAMN!!!

What was I thinking.

Maybe it's because I am a doctor who prefers to speaking to my patients in language that they can understand, rather than using fancy medical jargon. For example, I refer to myocardial infarction as heart attack, acute otitis media as ear infection, hypertension as high blood pressure.

Do you prefer your doctor to talk like an elitist, or would you prefer that he explain things in a way that you can understand?

There are always starving kids in Africa and disease in India. You can't stop your life because others are less fortunate. You do what you can and don't feel guilty for enjoying life. That is all you have

I mean you could put on a little better show... you could have referred to "tennis elbow" by it's clinical name, which is "lateral epicondylitis," and you may have sounded more like a real doctor.

You're right! I could have called it lateral epicondylitis. DAMN!!!

What was I thinking.

Maybe it's because I am a doctor who prefers to speaking to my patients in language that they can understand, rather than using fancy medical jargon. For example, I refer to myocardial infarction as heart attack, acute otitis media as ear infection, hypertension as high blood pressure.

Do you prefer your doctor to talk like an elitist, or would you prefer that he explain things in a way that you can understand?

I just prefer that my doctor be a doctor, not some guy pretending to be one on the internet.

By the way, did I ever tell you that I was an astronaut? ... :lol:

Last edited:
Life goes on.
How many Sports games since the Hatian quake?
How many movies attended?
How many big dinners at restaurants?

True...

We all have to move on. But I guess it's good to have occasional moments like above to put everything into perspective and make you appreciate life and what we have.

So, I guess I should let you know: I'm having a "Bad Hair" Day.

:eusa_boohoo:

What I don't get is why all of the outcry over Haiti? The telethon, the billions of dollars that will do very little to change anything, the obvious guilt feelings.......... where were these things, the outcry, the telethons, the billions of dollars when it was China that was hit with a disastrous earthquake or for the 200,000 + who died in many countries from a single tsunami? Why is this earthquake in Haiti so much more of a disaster?

Wyclef said last night that he was from Haiti which he claimed was the same as being from Africa........ the black people I know have made it a much bigger deal than either of the events in Asia, why? Is it all about race and skin color for them? Of course it is, that is all it's ever about with blacks and the guilt ridden whites that hate themselves for what others did hundreds of years ago.

As with anything, it only makes sense to help your neighbor out.

If you want to ignore the humanitarian side of it, then at least be pragmatic. It keeps the "neighborhood" looking nice.

We do more for our security by spreading goodwill than "spreading democracy".

This is observational, but the Indonesian muslim outrage towards the U.S. seems to have dimmed some after the Tsunami.

Also, Neisseria meningitidis is the only bacteria that causes a rash with the meningitis. It's rare for an infant to get N.M. That's usually reserved for teenagers (the strain that is famous for going around collage).

Of course, that doesn't make you feel better as a parent. The other one sounds like RSV. My little nephews all had a tough bout with that. It's a bad bug for sure.

I've no patience for doctors who get paid well to do what they're doing, then sneer at their patients for coming in for various and assorted ailments.

I hope you didn't think I was sneering. My patient had a legit complaint and needed my advise and treatment.

I was more pointing out the fact that I juxtaposed my thoughts of this patient with the people of Haiti, and realized how lucky we are if we only have a case of tennis elbow.

(However, I do get peeved when patients go to the Emergency room for a cold, especially when my office is open and I have time to fit them in. The typical patient to do this is a Medicaid patient, as there is no disincentive for them to do this...so the state ends up paying 5-10 times more for the same service.)

I agree, as liberal as I am, Medicaid patients present for the most trivial of complaints. In my very limited experience, little things like women who are pregnant who present to triage for "back pain". First question; "did you try to take tylenol?" The answer: "no".

So they get the full work up since we are obligated to make sure their water hasn't broken and are discharged with tylenol.

I don't know a good fix for this, but it is obnoxious.

I mean you could put on a little better show... you could have referred to "tennis elbow" by it's clinical name, which is "lateral epicondylitis," or a doctor may call it "medial epicondylitis," and you could have sounded more like a real doctor.

"Tennis elbow" is a clinical name. I've heard the term many times as a medical student. I've also heard "golfer's elbow", "housemaid's knee", "saturday night palsy" and several other terms that are left over from days of yore.

Most people on an internet message board don't even know what an epicondyle is, but most everyone knows what "tennis elbow" is, so I don't see your point.

Well that makes me feel better, glad you weren't sneering (great word, that).

Medicaid patients are often indigent, frequently don't even know who their doctors are (and it's not their fault, the system is VERY complicated, hard to navigate, and their primary providers change all the time). Add to that the fact that they often have to wait for ridiculously long periods of time to get in to see their doctors.

I field calls all the time from frantic clients who are treated like shit by the office staff at the offices that have AGREED to take them on, who put them through idiotic hoops (right now they're confused by the new system which allows them to look up their coverage...cards are obsolete,but the clinics are turning away patients because they don't have cards. We don't even issue cards on a regular basis anymore, and the card says right on it "this does not guarantee coverage". It's just an id card with their name and recipient ID on it, which the offices can access online). Or they DON'T turn them away, don't check their coverage, then try to bill months later only to find that hey, the plan the patient has won't cover visits to that office. Then I get frantic calls from my clients who are freaked out because they're getting billed for things that happened months ago, and angry calls from the clinics who say, "No, I didn't check coverage at the time, but we're going to keep billing them anyway and ruin their credit and take them to court" true story. Then I have to look up the administrative rules where it says it's the job of the CLINIC to verify coverage at the time of treatment, and if they don't, and if they don't get the patient to sign a specific waiver saying they will pay for that specific treatment on that specific day, the clinic eats the cost. They can't compel the patient to pay.

It's just bad communication and piss poor training all around. The office accountants tell me, "it's our policy to require a medical card" and it's my job to tell them, "you signed up for this, and you CANNOT REQUIRE A CARD, and you CANNOT BILL for services you provided to our client if you failed to verify coverage and didn't get a (very specifically worded) waiver."

For the guy with the elbow..."It hurts when I do this..."

"Then don't do that."

Problem solved, hehe.

Forum List

Back