My Dogs Have Fleas

F'IN FLEAS... LITTLE F'ERS.

F'IN KILL THE F'ERS

329704-6724-20.jpg

Now I feel itchy.

omg, I thought it was just me! lol

Get treated for BED BUGS....nothing can survive that...nothing. We have plenty of the little buggers thanks to the thousands of illegals streaming through Phoenix.....the resorts are burning mattresses and bed springs before the snowbirds arrive after Thanksgiving. The treatment involves heating the entire house to over 200 degrees so you have to remove all electronics and cover bare wood...it will melt your computers. Sorry for your trouble.

Get treated for BED BUGS....nothing can survive that...nothing. We have plenty of the little buggers thanks to the thousands of illegals streaming through Phoenix.....the resorts are burning mattresses and bed springs before the snowbirds arrive after Thanksgiving. The treatment involves heating the entire house to over 200 degrees so you have to remove all electronics and cover bare wood...it will melt your computers. Sorry for your trouble.

DE will treat bedbugs in your home.

Building a mile high wall will treat bedbugs illegally entering into the USofA.

Anyone have any suggestions for something natural to give my old cat to calm him down some? He's 15 and the whole flea thing has his nerves on edge. He's exhausted from bathing/licking/scratching at the fleas. I do notice that when I powder the animals w/DE, it seems to completely calm down the itch cycle and they rest. Hmmm ...

Ive not used these...but i have heard good things from others about its performance. You could also ask you vet for a very mild tranquilizer.

Thundershirt for Cats - Health & Wellness - Cat - PetSmart

Holy fucking CAPSTAR batman!!!

I lost count at 75 fleas, 70 of which came off of Finn and they're still falling off. Started working within 20 minutes. Not too many off the dogs. Am attempting to give old Shadow cat his pill. He's been calm all day, hate to give it to him cause he'll go nuts as they start dying. BUT ... omG, I can't believe there were that many on Finn.

Worth. Every. Penny. Spent.

I lost count at 75 fleas, 70 of which came off of Finn and they're still falling off. Started working within 20 minutes. Not too many off the dogs. Am attempting to give old Shadow cat his pill. He's been calm all day, hate to give it to him cause he'll go nuts as they start dying. BUT ... omG, I can't believe there were that many on Finn.

and that is just the adults you are seeing..... eggs and larva, you cant see. :eek:

Called vet to ask about Capstar ... waiting for them to call me back. May just get that on my own.

In your situation, Capstar is a waste of time and money.

Besides, it often fails, especially with fleas.

Anyone have any suggestions for something natural to give my old cat to calm him down some?

valerian

Get it in a liquid from a compounding pharmacy or a naturopathic md/naturopathic vet.

Talk to your vet first.

Never had Frontline fail. Once a month, and no sign of fleas.

I have.

We picked up an almost dead puppy, loaded with fleas and ticks, Capstar at the vet, took him home the next day. The Capstar didn't kill the fleas and we had a huge infestation at both out homes. As bad as it is at one house, its so much worse at two because you keep carrying back and forth.

I won't use diatomacious earth because of its high toxicity. We used only borax at both houses and got rid of the fleas pretty quickly. I've heard they're especially bad in our area and people foolishly use poison that is completely ineffective.

What people don't seem to understand is that its just like what we're seeing with antibiotics. We throw these drugs and poisons at everything that comes along and then act all surprised when they become ineffective.

Called vet to ask about Capstar ... waiting for them to call me back. May just get that on my own.

Nope, the Capstar is working. I've lost count the number of fleas that have fallen off the cats. I can't believe there were that many on them. :eek: Not sure about the dogs, they keep moving around and are on a dark carpet. Not too much biting/licking from them so they may have less of a problem.

and that is just the adults you are seeing..... eggs and larva, you cant see. :eek:

Blech! I just keep vacuuming, sprinkling DE in to the carpets, washing, etc. Think I'll give the DE on the animals a rest. I'm wondering if it interferes w/the FL as the FL works via the oil glands and the DE is drying. Hmmm.

Figure I'll just keep up the routine and keep a lookout for more fleas then treat w/the Capstar when necessary. Our house is cleaner than it's been in about two months. Oh, and I'm also using a lint brush on the furniture to help get off the flea dirt. Works great. I tried to vacuum the dog yesterday ... she wasn't a fan of that. lol

I have.

We picked up an almost dead puppy, loaded with fleas and ticks, Capstar at the vet, took him home the next day. The Capstar didn't kill the fleas and we had a huge infestation at both out homes. As bad as it is at one house, its so much worse at two because you keep carrying back and forth.

I won't use diatomacious earth because of its high toxicity. We used only borax at both houses and got rid of the fleas pretty quickly. I've heard they're especially bad in our area and people foolishly use poison that is completely ineffective.

What people don't seem to understand is that its just like what we're seeing with antibiotics. We throw these drugs and poisons at everything that comes along and then act all surprised when they become ineffective.

DE is not toxic, stop stating that it is. You are misinformed.

What I meant to say about Frontline is that our dog and cats were loaded with the fleas brought in on the previously Capstar-d stray puppy and the two houses were completely infested with them.

Note to ZoomBoing - this isn't really a huge help but if you want, you can get lighted flea traps from amazon. We keep them going for brown recluse spiders at the house in town because its an old Victorian mini-mansion and not as tight as the new house at the lake. You have a pretty heavy flea infestation and while I think you believe you're doing your best but, with what you're doing (IF I understand correctly what you've posted), you're gonna be at this for a while and every little bit helps. Besides, its satisfying to see the damn things stuck on the trap.

Nope, the Capstar is working. I've lost count the number of fleas that have fallen off the cats. I can't believe there were that many on them. :eek: Not sure about the dogs, they keep moving around and are on a dark carpet. Not too much biting/licking from them so they may have less of a problem.

You misunderstood my meaning. I said, "in YOUR situation" ... Sorry I wasn't more clear -

Although the Capstar did not kill the fleas on my stray puppy, I believe that it usually does kill the fleas and ticks on the animal.

THAT is the point. Most of the life cycle of both fleas and ticks is spent OFF the host animal. That's why dipping is worthless too. So what if you kill the relative few that are on the animal at any given time when it does not address those in the environment? THAT is why its a waste for you. You may have killed those few but there are plenty more that will be climbing on when the Capstar wears off.

It took me a long time to learn the basic rule of dealing with external parasites: Treat the environment but, with the exception of products like Frontline, not the animal.

You misunderstood my meaning. I said, "in YOUR situation" ... Sorry I wasn't more clear -

Although the Capstar did not kill the fleas on my stray puppy, I believe that it usually does kill the fleas and ticks on the animal.

THAT is the point. Most of the life cycle of both fleas and ticks is spent OFF the host animal. That's why dipping is worthless too. So what if you kill the relative few that are on the animal at any given time when it does not address those in the environment? THAT is why its a waste for you. You may have killed those few but there are plenty more that will be climbing on when the Capstar wears off.

It took me a long time to learn the basic rule of dealing with external parasites: Treat the environment but, with the exception of products like Frontline, not the animal.

I disagree. The Capstar got off 80+ fleas off of Finn, our one year old cat; numerous fleas off the other three animals. Now none of those fleas will reproduce. That's a huge plus. While it does not kill eggs/larva it does prevent those adults from laying more eggs. Adult fleas spend 99% of their time on the animals ... killing them off the animal prevents them from reproducing and gives relief to the animal. My old cat is stressed and over-grooming from it all ... he looks like some straggly old alley cat.

Absolutely you have to treat the environment, both indoors and out, and also use a long-term product like FL. But I'm very grateful that the Capstar is available and worked so well.

I have.

DE is not toxic, stop stating that it is. You are misinformed.

Silicon dioxide is relatively safe to eat but toxic if inhaled and has been shown to cause DNA changes.

Silica, quartz : OSH Answers

http://www.nfc.umn.edu/assets/pdf/msds/silicon_dioxide.pdf

Silicon Dioxide | GreenMedInfo | Toxic Ingredient | Natural Medicine

631K more links here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dia...08,d.aWc&fp=1c1876821f7dec2c&biw=1180&bih=528

I would truly appreciate reading the links you've found that tell a different story. Thanks.

80???

First - Capstar is supposed to get 100% of what is on the animal but you are seeing exactly what happened to me. The Capstar did not kill all the fleas that were on the stray puppy I had.

But, even if you got 99 and 99/100%, you have gazillions happily laying eggs in your carpet so its the same as nothing at all.

In less than one week, you will be right back where you were before you bought the Capstar.

Really, you are WAY off track with this.

But, I wish you good luck.

Forum List

Back