My Dogs Have Fleas

Be sure to weigh the cat and give the correct dosage.

Ask your vet but if I remember right, its about 2mgs per pound.

Ask your vet.

Give him 25 mgs, that's one tablet of most over the counter diphenhydramine. I dont' think they can overdose on benadryl. It will dry out sinuses a little..and he might be drowsy. Half the time, the drowsiness is because it's the first time they've had relief and they're exhausted...

That is, if they're anything like dogs.

But I think for the purposes of this conversation, most allergy treatments for cats, humans & dogs are very similar.

Give him 25 mgs, that's one tablet of most over the counter diphenhydramine. I dont' think they can overdose on benadryl. It will dry out sinuses a little..and he might be drowsy. Half the time, the drowsiness is because it's the first time they've had relief and they're exhausted...

no....

you need to dose by weight.
And as with any drug....ask your vet first.

I think the Capstar got a lot of fleas off of him and that brought a boatload of relief, along with the DE and FL working, and he is finally able to really rest. I do think he's exhausted. His appetite (which was good anyway) increased. Am treating for tapeworms but although exhausted he may just feel better and is hungrier.

The dogs haven't scratched once since their bath. Penny thinks she's gotten out of getting brushed ... she is wrong. lol

Will keep treating until these nasty buggers are gone, gone, gone. I hate them. Couple of them bit me.

Just bathed both dogs, only saw one dead flea off of Penny, none off of Dio. No live ones at all. :thup:

Saw another live flea on Finn (which means there's more). I may Capstar him again over the weekend. Shadow is less itchy/frantically bathing but is finding odd, odd places to be. Today it's the litterbox. :confused: It's quiet and out of the way ... but the litterbox? Weird. Keeping an eye on him.

Thank you, syrenn for the VetKem info. Just ordered a bottle for pet application and a bottle for carpet/furniture application. Couldn't find it for sale by any local vets, it should be here next Wed or Thurs.

:thup:

i hope it helps!!!

odd places to be... may also be not wanting to be in or on infested areas..... cats are smart like that. He is also most likely stressed by all the vacuuming

Yeah, Shadow hates the vacuum. Finn sits and watches me, he doesn't care much about it. He's a funny little cat.

Just bathed both dogs, only saw one dead flea off of Penny, none off of Dio. No live ones at all. :thup:

Saw another live flea on Finn (which means there's more). I may Capstar him again over the weekend. Shadow is less itchy/frantically bathing but is finding odd, odd places to be. Today it's the litterbox. :confused: It's quiet and out of the way ... but the litterbox? Weird. Keeping an eye on him.

Thank you, syrenn for the VetKem info. Just ordered a bottle for pet application and a bottle for carpet/furniture application. Couldn't find it for sale by any local vets, it should be here next Wed or Thurs.

:thup:

i hope it helps!!!

odd places to be... may also be not wanting to be in or on infested areas..... cats are smart like that. He is also most likely stressed by all the vacuuming

Yeah, Shadow hates the vacuum. Finn sits and watches me, he doesn't care much about it. He's a funny little cat.

i have named the vacuum JAWS!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTwqmj1551E]"Jaws"(vacuum) - YouTube[/ame]

:lmao:

VetKem for the pets will be here tomorrow; VetKem for the carpets/furniture will be here between Thurs and next Tues (no quicker shipping options were available for that). Hope it's here sooner rather than later ... dogs and cats are itchy. Am wondering if the Frontline is doing anything at all other than making poor old Shadow cat scratch himself bald in spots. Or maybe that's the fleas. <sigh>

VetKem for the pets will be here tomorrow; VetKem for the carpets/furniture will be here between Thurs and next Tues (no quicker shipping options were available for that). Hope it's here sooner rather than later ... dogs and cats are itchy. Am wondering if the Frontline is doing anything at all other than making poor old Shadow cat scratch himself bald in spots. Or maybe that's the fleas. <sigh>

:eusa_pray:

i hope the vetkem gets there soon!

poor shadow cat....is she still hiding in her litter box?

No, that seems to have stopped. He's scratched behinds his ears, parts of his face, some spots on his back/sides bald. I see him actually pulling on his fur. His fur is thin anyway because he's old ... and I look and look and never actually see a flea on him. But he's all black so I'm assuming I'm just missing them.

I originally only ordered one manual spray bottle of VK for the house then realized that wasn't nearly enough so ordered 3 more aerosol cans. After much research I want to have enough in case I need to retreat in two weeks after the fleas in the pupa/cocoon stage hatch. Garrrrr, I hate these things!

No, that seems to have stopped. He's scratched behinds his ears, parts of his face, some spots on his back/sides bald. I see him actually pulling on his fur. His fur is thin anyway because he's old ... and I look and look and never actually see a flea on him. But he's all black so I'm assuming I'm just missing them.

I originally only ordered one manual spray bottle of VK for the house then realized that wasn't nearly enough so ordered 3 more aerosol cans. After much research I want to have enough in case I need to retreat in two weeks after the fleas in the pupa/cocoon stage hatch. Garrrrr, I hate these things!

:thup: Im glad you ordered more!!! Better to over treat then under treat with this stuff in my opinion.

they may be scratching just in response to the flea bites. I know when i get bitten ill scratch until i strike blood. ....and one of the reasons i am so militant about them.

Got the VetKem to put on the animals yesterday. Was really, really hesitant about using it but ... did both dogs outside and Finncat in the laundry room. He is such a sport. The stuff smells when wet but when dry, no odor or anything. I had a really hard time getting their faces and legs so today I donned a pair of rubber gloves then put a pair of white kid gloves (belonged to a relative who, long, long ago, used to be a traffic cop. Cool, huh?) then sprayed the VK on the gloves and rubbed on the hard to get spots. Also Capstarred Finn yesterday - those damn fleas just moved to his butt, head and leg area after I sprayed him - and Capstarred the dogs today. Bought flea comb ... Dio is mostly black and I could see the eggs and larvae after I sprayed him and started combing. Hopefully they are now rendered incapable of becoming fleas. The stuff for the house is out for delivery and should be here whenever the mailman gets here.

Finn again had the most fleas come off of him. I think it's because they are really reproducing in the basement ... perfect atmosphere for them. Even if I don't get the whole house done today I am spraying the basement. Talked to the girls at PetValu and also a customer who all said the same thing about Frontline ... that it doesn't seem to be working for many people. So I bought Advantix for them and will apply next week.

Didn't do anything to Shadow because I'm afraid he might react to the VK if I spray him or lick it off while it's wet. Did get him vitamins and Omega 3&6 to mix in with his new (better, not crap) cat food. I think a good portion of his scratching/licking is nutritionally related. I still don't know if he has fleas ... I haven't seen any on him after I gave him Capstar last week. Will give him Advantix next week and hope between that and eliminating them throughout the house that things will settle down.

I FREAKIN' HATE THIS!!!!!

you are on the way hun..... breaking that life cycle is the only way to stop them!!

can you do the glove method on your cat?

you are on the way hun..... breaking that life cycle is the only way to stop them!!

can you do the glove method on your cat?

I did on Finn but haven't tried Shadow yet. Even if I could just do his hind quarters it would help. I did use some evoo on his ears and neck to try and sooth his baldy spots. The poor cat ... he looks rather forlorn. I should post a pic.

Got the VetKem for the house this afternoon. Yay! Sprayed the basement where Finn sleeps ... think he'll sleep with a kid tonight. Did our bedroom. Tomorrow a.m. will do the rest of the first floor, stairs and upstairs hall. Once that's done and the animals can go in those rooms I'll hit the remaining bedrooms. Hope I have enough. One can did the basement. Still waiting for the 24oz manual bottle to get here.

Dogs are still scratching, especially Dio. Hoping the nasty creatures just left bites as they were dying off. Yeesh, what a pain in the ass this is.

Last edited:
its better to do a heavy dose of spray....and then wait to do the other room when the remainder gets there.... over trying to do a light spraying and making it go further.

my fingers are crossed that this does it for you....

Oh, I heavy dosed the basement and our bedroom. The family room will likely take a whole can ... two sofas and the carpet. The remaining can (minus what I used in our bedroom) should take care of the rest. Our house isn't very big.

Shadow is just compulsively licking and pulling at his fur. I gave him a Capstar and watched him a couple of hours and did not see one flea fall off of him. He spends most of his time in my daughters bedroom ... maybe the Frontline worked on him. I'm wondering if the Frontline is part of his problem ... maybe he is having a systemic reaction to it. He was licky before all this - which I suspect is partially related to having another cat and also food related - but since I put the FL on him it has gotten much, much worse.

Research and a vet visit.

Makes me very glad we used the boron as I described earlier in this thread.
Works extremely well, non-toxic and cheap.

What you're going through is exactly what I wrote would happen.
At the rate you're going, you'll never be rid of them.

Makes me very glad we used the boron as I described earlier in this thread.
Works extremely well, non-toxic and cheap.

What you're going through is exactly what I wrote would happen.
At the rate you're going, you'll never be rid of them.

I used DE for two weeks exactly as you used Boron -- they both act the same way in the killing of insects --, treated house and animals with it, vacuumed daily, etc, Frontlined all animals ... still had heavy doses of fleas, especially on youngest cat. After treating animals and house w/VetKem, fleas are down considerably, older cat is flea free, younger cat appears to be flea free; checking the dogs (harder to see on them) but so far do not see fleas (they are still scratching some but that may be due to bites they had rather than active fleas), eggs/larvae are now rendered incapable of becoming fleas. Will retreat in 14 days to get any pupa that surface and become fleas. They are going and will be gone for good. While I much prefer not using these sprays, the natural way wasn't cutting it. Will continue using DE as preventative treatment along with others that I am looking into. Have extra VetKem in case they fail.

Last edited:
I can't say that Frontline or Advantage works. It doesn't work on my dog or any dog I know. Flea baths don't work. Fleas hide. They go in the eyes, in the anus and urethra. The'll hide in a female's vagina and come out when it's safe.

Forum List

Back